Thread: 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Power Locks and Anti-Theft System Not Working

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 3.0i

2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Power Locks and Anti-Theft System Not Working

My Z3's power locks have not worked since before I bought it, but I did not mind just manually unlocking it with a key until now. Unfortunately, now both the door's locks broke and spin in place, forcing me to unlock the car with the trunk every time. I had done research in the past about the power lock problem, and assumed it was because of the aftermarket stereo that a previous owner had installed in the vehicle. Some answers to that problem were to unplug the female connector from the sensor that the rubber piece on the original stereo protruded into, this would stop the anti-theft system from thinking the stereo was missing, and causing the power locks to not work. However, when I took my stereo out, I found the plug was already disconnected. My dome light does not remain on, so it does not seem like the problem is with the car thinking the doors are open. I tried removing the anti-theft and remote lock fuses for a minute to reset the anti-theft system and that did not work, and also made sure all the fuses were there and were not tripped. I have also tried to put the car into Code Learning Mode, which is supposed to cause the car to chirp, and it does not chirp. The car emits no codes, and it only came with one single-button remote key. Any ideas about what the problem is or suggestions on how to troubleshoot it more? Thanks!
    Preview attachment image1.JPG

image1.JPG
    1.6 MB
    Preview attachment image3.JPG

image3.JPG
    1.4 MB
    Preview attachment image5.JPG

image5.JPG
    925 KB

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    The factory alarm uses a two button fob remote. The button on your key is for a light in the key nothing more.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
    And this is why I included a picture of my key, I was skeptical. So what you're saying is the previous owner did not give me the factory key fob. Any way to get a replacement without changing locks?

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravenrace View Post
    And this is why I included a picture of my key, I was skeptical. So what you're saying is the previous owner did not give me the factory key fob. Any way to get a replacement without changing locks?
    You can pick up used bmw keyfob on eBay for about 80-150 bucks. Yes, that much. Do not bother with any of the cheaper ones as they are not using same frequency. I just went through the same. Bought 4 different keyfobs that claim to work. None did. Had to get used one for $90 from eBay. If you need an actual key, you can get it from BMW dealer for about $80 bucks. But if your locks are shot, keyfob is the only way to go. Assuming you actually have original bmw alarm receiver installed behind the glove compartment. If you pick up correct keyfob, there is a procedure online how to program new keyfob. If you can’t find it PM me. I just had to do it about a month ago. Also picked up my car with a single key and no keyfobs.
    Last edited by DimrBimmer; 06-19-2018 at 08:00 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
    Thank you for the reply. While not having the correct key fob would definitely pose a problem for remotely locking the car, shouldn't I still be able to enter Code Learning Mode without it? As I previously said, when I try to enter that mode (following these steps assuming they are correct http://mz3.net/activate-keyless-remote.html), my car still does not chirp, which makes me believe there still may be another problem. No matter what I will still need to buy a key fob.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravenrace View Post
    Thank you for the reply. While not having the correct key fob would definitely pose a problem for remotely locking the car, shouldn't I still be able to enter Code Learning Mode without it? As I previously said, when I try to enter that mode (following these steps assuming they are correct http://mz3.net/activate-keyless-remote.html), my car still does not chirp, which makes me believe there still may be another problem. No matter what I will still need to buy a key fob.
    Yes you should unless the alarm speaker was disabled. I thought I saw a video on how to check for that. You can also drop your glove compartment to see if you can find alarm receiver. It could be disconnected. Another sign is a small usually red LED and Mic mounted on the dash.

PS., lastly you can get whole kit, used bmw or aftermarket.

There you go. “https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F32 3193629880”
    Last edited by DimrBimmer; 06-19-2018 at 08:16 PM.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I can't see your pics. Have you verified that the siren is under the hood ? The chirp can be muted via the fob