Thread: Spring pad booster??

My Cars
    E38

Spring pad booster??

Hi guys! With all these wide open CT roads, I think I'm ready to leap for H&R springs with my OEM M Sport struts/shocks, like BlueCrabMafia's setup on his Imola. My Sport rolls a lot for 2018 standards.

My question is whether there's a rear lower spring pad to add to the stock one since the rear will be lower than I'd like? I want a touch more rake than 1.9/1.3 inches. I can't find whether there are simple round "puck"-style pads from other BMWs that can go underneath ours to raise the rear because I know OEM E38 pads have the pattern of the spring on one side, meaning they can't be stacked.

Otherwise, does anyone have other solutions to crank it up a little in the back with springs that are a little too low?
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I was looking at adding a rubber doughnut under the spring pad for some extra lift.

Why are you putting H&R on? Your set up with the B&G springs was too harsh for your taste, no? H&R is even stiffer. And roads in CT suck.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    E38
    No no no, the UUC/B&G front springs (stock sport rear) are too soft for this area! The roads here are awesome compared to where I come from - nice and wide open with fast sweepers. My commute to FCP Euro every morning is just from exit 59 to exit 54 and a couple of ramps.

I'm only wondering just what stiffer means. Sharp impacts is what I imagine being stiffer, which is hopefully minimal, but I'm not looking to make dips in the road more dramatic or anything. I'm actually hoping that they become more subdued since the suspension won't be travelling as much up and down - it'd hopefully stay more level. Right now it borders on a stiff floatiness.

I've kept Brian's installation in mind through this whole idea because of his experience with stock M Sport struts with these springs: it seems they're stiff enough to control the spring, but not punishing as I've found with Bilsteins.

It's the stance I need to verify before I do anything, though. I'd rather roll around than the car look jacked since it's so darn pretty.

What are the details on this "rubber donut"??

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I'm waiting to install mine. I just bought a thick piece of rubber and cut it out myself with a jigsaw.

The HR springs have 2 options: stage 1 and stage 2. The Stage 2 gives a lower drop in front than back, so you may not need to use a spring pad.

In terms of the harshness, I think you will feel more of the road all of the time, because that's what kind of springs they are -- stiffer. So you will feel the undulations. I thought my Bilsteins and B&G were fine up there except for the roads falling apart (Berlin Tpke, sections of I-91, etc). I've never run sport struts with lowering springs, though, so my ride was probably stiffer with the Billys. I've heard HR and Bilstein is very very stiff. So maybe your Msport strut and H&R rides like my Bilstein and B&G? No idea.

Come to FL though. Then you will know what good roads are like
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    E38
    I've seen a lot of pictures of stage 2 with M Parallels and yeah, it's a bit low in the rear. I need to find a solution for a thick piece of rubber - is that from the hardware store?

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Amazon. 70 durometer hardness is supposedly equivalent to tire rubber, which I figured wouldn't have much compression. Lot of work to get them in though. ugh