Thread: Rear window antenna connecting box disconnected

My Cars
    97 740i 123k Miles

Rear window antenna connecting box disconnected

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=84_0113

Part 3 on this diagram has disconnected, any advice on re connecting, it seems like I should just glue it back up since I don't expect any functionality.

Picture of mine:
    https://i.imgur.com/qpI99gO.png

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    It's for an analog cell phone, which you no longer have so you can take the entire thing off if you'd like.

My Cars
    97 740i 123k Miles
    Quote Originally Posted by RIboater2 View Post
    It's for an analog cell phone, which you no longer have so you can take the entire thing off if you'd like.
    Oh I always thought it was part of the radio antenna, news to me. Are there any instructions on gutting this out, and what about the antenna on the outside of the glass?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    The radio antenna is embedded in the rear windshield glass...its part of the rear defrost lines. There are amps in each C pillar that receives data from the antenna in the glass and passes it along. The keyless remote signal is also picked up by this same antenna and that data eventually gets sent up to the GM to lock/unlock & arm/disarm the central locking and anti-theft alarm siren system:

The link you posted to the telephone antenna...if you scroll down to #2 in the part number index below the diagram...it says that it is the base for the telephone antenna (#1)...and #3 (the connecting box) is what used to be what connected/passed telephone data to and from the antenna (#1).

The antenna and base on the exterior of the glass is held on by adhesive. It is as easy to remove as any of the emblems adhered to the trunk deck. Usually some heat carefully placed long enough will soften the adhesive, then something thin and strong (like dental floss or fishing line can be used to "saw" through the adhesive to help separate the antenna from the glass.

The connecting box inside the car can be tucked under the headliner or removed...its your choice. And if you do some searching using some simple search words...you should run across some old e38/e39 threads that discussed telephone antenna removal. Back prior to the "shark fin" phone antennas...it was a big thing to remove them. Again, this is 20 year old DIY stuff...so trust us...it's out there.

EDIT: just to make sure I wasn't crazy...I typed "remove phone antenna from rear window BMW e38 7 series" into a google search box...and right near the top was Miss BIMMERLV's DIY on antenna removal that she posted back in 2011. Even though some of the pics are missing now...there's enough of 'em left to get MORE than enough info. Click this link: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Mast-Removal-!!
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-21-2018 at 11:10 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    97 740i 123k Miles
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    The radio antenna is embedded in the rear windshield glass...its part of the rear defrost lines. There are amps in each C pillar that receives data from the antenna in the glass and passes it along. The keyless remote signal is also picked up by this same antenna and that data eventually gets sent up to the GM to lock/unlock & arm/disarm the central locking and anti-theft alarm siren system:

The link you posted to the telephone antenna...if you scroll down to #2 in the part number index below the diagram...it says that it is the base for the telephone antenna (#1)...and #3 (the connecting box) is what used to be what connected/passed telephone data to and from the antenna (#1).

The antenna and base on the exterior of the glass is held on by adhesive. It is as easy to remove as any of the emblems adhered to the trunk deck. Usually some heat carefully placed long enough will soften the adhesive, then something thin and strong (like dental floss or fishing line can be used to "saw" through the adhesive to help separate the antenna from the glass.

The connecting box inside the car can be tucked under the headliner or removed...its your choice. And if you do some searching using some simple search words...you should run across some old e38/e39 threads that discussed telephone antenna removal. Back prior to the "shark fin" phone antennas...it was a big thing to remove them. Again, this is 20 year old DIY stuff...so trust us...it's out there.

EDIT: just to make sure I wasn't crazy...I typed "remove phone antenna from rear window BMW e38 7 series" into a google search box...and right near the top was Miss BIMMERLV's DIY on antenna removal that she posted back in 2011. Even though some of the pics are missing now...there's enough of 'me left to get MORE than enough info. Click this link: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Mast-Removal-!!
    Well thats an awesome fact about the embedded antenna in the rear windscreen. Anyways so both sides of this can be removed with enough patience and elbow grease? I might make this a weekend project, I was first thinking about just glueing it back in place however it might be cleaner to just remove both sides and call it a day.