RM European Auto Parts
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Steering Pump to Gear box bolt

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hey, I didn't name the wrenches.....Crows have feet much like other non-raptors. They look nothing like wrenches.

Let's see, Jerry....it looks to me like the remaining piece of the engine mount is stuck to the engine mount aluminum arm, not the subframe, is this correct? You've removed the top, 16mm nut? there's an airgap beneath? Use a bigger hammer.

If you have the engine jacked up or hung, you should just go ahead and lower the subframe an inch or two.....

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

Engine Mount Stuck

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Hey, I didn't name the wrenches.....Crows have feet much like other non-raptors. They look nothing like wrenches.

Let's see, Jerry....it looks to me like the remaining piece of the engine mount is stuck to the engine mount aluminum arm, not the subframe, is this correct? You've removed the top, 16mm nut? there's an airgap beneath? Use a bigger hammer.

If you have the engine jacked up or hung, you should just go ahead and lower the subframe an inch or two.....
    Have never lowered a subframe before; any reference material on bimmerforum on elsewhere you can suggest. Is it something I could do? I'm going to try the hammer again and maybe putting a floor jack underneath the mount to break it free. What a PITA for something that should be a lot simpler. Not stuck to subframe. 16 mm nut; I think I removed it, but if I didn't wouldn't I see it from the top and I wouldn't have seen loose washers on top, right?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

Engine Mount Resolved

My bad.....at the risk of embarrassing myself I will not go into detail. Another "stupid" error.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Glad to have been of help....

Um, as long as the engine is hung, dropping the subframe is easy. six bolts, as I recall, on your car, 18mm or 19mm. I recall the rearmost bolts are difficult to access on the E38, because of plastic covers in the way.

Tomorrow I'm changing an oil pan gasket on an E90, which means I'll be hanging the engine and lowering the subframe. I'll try to remember to take pictures. Obviously, I have a lift and engine hanger, but it'll give you the idea anyway.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Again, I know you won't have a lift and an engine hanger like this, but some pictures of what becomes possible when you separate the engine and the subframe:hanger.jpgsubframe.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, not only was the second picture fuzzy as hell, it's upside down. Hey, I was changing oil pan gaskets, and at the same time working with Abel to remotely update an E63, sorry.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Glad to have been of help....

Um, as long as the engine is hung, dropping the subframe is easy. six bolts, as I recall, on your car, 18mm or 19mm. I recall the rearmost bolts are difficult to access on the E38, because of plastic covers in the way.

Tomorrow I'm changing an oil pan gasket on an E90, which means I'll be hanging the engine and lowering the subframe. I'll try to remember to take pictures. Obviously, I have a lift and engine hanger, but it'll give you the idea anyway.
    Sorry, I've been out of touch, but thanks for the posts. Still making progress on my overhaul of the 2001 740i. Finding more things to do as I go on. Seems unfair that I'm limited to discussing only things that aren't posted on the 7 series forum. Next is VCG and PS hoses. Put the Jesus bolt back on; much more fun than taking it off. Purchased the M-62 tu timing kit from Dr. Vanos, so if you know anyone that is looking for one, I'll have one available.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, I know you won't have a lift and an engine hanger like this, but some pictures of what becomes possible when you separate

the engine and the subframe:hanger.jpgsubframe.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, not only was the second picture fuzzy as hell, it's upside down. Hey, I was changing oil pan gaskets, and at the same time working with Abel to remotely update an E63, sorry.
    Makes me wish I was working in a real Garage with all the right tools on hand. Nice pictures.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Sorry, that second picture (upside down) makes me dizzy, just looking at it. Using a cellphone to photograph, underneath a car, you know.....

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12