Thread: Deleting Fog Lights - Use resistor to fool car and avoid warning message?

My Cars
    '91 M5

Deleting Fog Lights - Use resistor to fool car and avoid warning message?

I want to get rid of both the side marker lights and also the fog lights on my car. For the fog lights, I want to avoid the error message. Has anyone had any experience wiring directly to an appropriately sized resistor and tucking it safely away?

Are there other, better ways of cleanly and safely getting rid of the fog lights and the error messages? I am not concerned about reverting back to fogs, so not worried about cutting up the harnesses.
    Current Fleet:
    E34 1991 M5 Macaoblau on Complete (ruined)Leather Champagne - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1705166

Past:
    E34 1989 535i 5-Speed AlpineweissII on Natur - Parted
    E34 1992 525i 5-Speed Islandgrun on Pergament - Parted
    E34 1995 540i 6-Speed ShwarzII on Shwarz - Sold to Sneezy.
    E34 1995 525i 5-Speed Calypso Red on Parchment - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1748143 - Sold locally.
    E39 1998 528i 5-Speed Black on Black - Sold locally.
    E34​ 1993 M5 Alpinweiss on Black - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...lpinweissII-M5 - Parted

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    As Moroza states it’s a LKM mod, and a switch delete mod if you want the full delete.

-Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    92 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Removing the side markers won't throw error messages. Search for a recently updated (I think) thread on how to rewire the LKM to bypass any or all light tests.
    It's been a couple years, but I'm pretty sure removing the side marker lights popped a "Parking lights" warning for me.

Trevor I had soldered a jumper wire to disable the warning for the parking light on the LKM, the only pain is it seems like there are so many variants of LKM. Took my awhile to figure out which node (that what's called?) corresponded to which since none of the diagrams online matched mine. This for your M5? Are you buying the foglight delete cover?

My Cars
    E34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by sugaki View Post
    It's been a couple years, but I'm pretty sure removing the side marker lights popped a "Parking lights" warning for me.

Trevor I had soldered a jumper wire to disable the warning for the parking light on the LKM, the only pain is it seems like there are so many variants of LKM. Took my awhile to figure out which node (that what's called?) corresponded to which since none of the diagrams online matched mine. This for your M5? Are you buying the foglight delete cover?
    I think he means the ones on the fender, not the front.
    I did the LKM mod years ago when i had HID fogs, theyre deleted now. Dont want to get rid of the switch as I might make it trigger something in the future.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    I second Greg. I did the LKM modification and it’s been error free since. Still need to install the delete panel...I’ll tackle that when I swap interiors.
    Jason Grace

My Cars
    1989 535i
    At last, something I have knowledge on! There are 2 different LKMs out there. LKM-L is the luxury version which will tell you about light faults when the lights are off, LKM-B will only check resistance and tell of faults when the intended light is turned on. Most US models are LKM-L I believe and you can find the part number for an LKM-B on realoem. I recently had to resolder my LKM so I've learned a lot on the subject. So you can either do some soldering or buy an LKM-B that only checks resistance when something is on. LKMs can also vary by year so before soldering you'll need to check what year the guide is talking about. The differences aren't massive but it should be checked anyway.

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    I did this to a donor car I drove around for a few months. Worked well. In case you haven't seen it yet, here is a link with a lot of good info:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...erior-Lighting

My Cars
    ‘15 F31d Msport
    Quote Originally Posted by CarterH View Post
    At last, something I have knowledge on! There are 2 different LKMs out there. LKM-L is the luxury version which will tell you about light faults when the lights are off, LKM-B will only check resistance and tell of faults when the intended light is turned on. Most US models are LKM-L I believe and you can find the part number for an LKM-B on realoem. I recently had to resolder my LKM so I've learned a lot on the subject. So you can either do some soldering or buy an LKM-B that only checks resistance when something is on. LKMs can also vary by year so before soldering you'll need to check what year the guide is talking about. The differences aren't massive but it should be checked anyway.
    correctomundo. I was lucky to have an lkm-b, unlucky in that it never matched any photo or diagram.
    If I were to give my Touring a first name, I'd probably name it "Alan".
    Mostly because I like puns.
    Mutual Admiration Society #5

My Cars
    '91 M5
    Very helpful responses guys, thanks a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sugaki View Post
    This for your M5? Are you buying the foglight delete cover?
    Yes, it is for my '91 M5. I am not sure if I want to get the delete plates or if I want to try out some body work options to "shave" the foglight recess so that it flush with the rest of the facia. One of the members on here did that, I think with a Beige '95 540i/6 that he repainted very well, and I think it looked great. Much better than the delete plates IMO, and I am not concerned with making permanent changes to the bumper cover.
    Current Fleet:
    E34 1991 M5 Macaoblau on Complete (ruined)Leather Champagne - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1705166

Past:
    E34 1989 535i 5-Speed AlpineweissII on Natur - Parted
    E34 1992 525i 5-Speed Islandgrun on Pergament - Parted
    E34 1995 540i 6-Speed ShwarzII on Shwarz - Sold to Sneezy.
    E34 1995 525i 5-Speed Calypso Red on Parchment - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1748143 - Sold locally.
    E39 1998 528i 5-Speed Black on Black - Sold locally.
    E34​ 1993 M5 Alpinweiss on Black - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...lpinweissII-M5 - Parted