Thread: Need to Replace VKG and Spark Plugs @ 155K. Change Vanos Seals?

My Cars
    2000 323i

Need to Replace VKG and Spark Plugs @ 155K. Change Vanos Seals?

Hello All,
    I was given a 2000 323i Sedan with 151K on it. Now 155K. Had overheating problem when i got it. Replaced thermostat and water pump which fixed the issue. Im gonna change the Fan Clutch SOON. I'm guessing since it is a 2000 it has an M52TU Motor. Before i got to the car it was sitting for 6 months. I went to check the spark plugs and oil in the well. It has given me a few problems such as the throttle body being "mechanically stuck" putting it in limp mode. Drove around for a few days (4 days of Rain) and it managed to free itself. Soon as i got home and a break from the rain i took off all the boots and carefully cleaned the throttle body butterfly with CRC Throttle Body Cleaner (LOTS of Carbon Build-Up). Anyhow my next project is sort of a mini tune up. The Coil packs dont look like the originals so the previous owner may have chaged them. I will change the VCG and plugs. I don't seem to have any of the tell tale symptoms of the VANOS needing new seals but from my understanding its a gradual virtually unnoticeable thing if you haven't had the car since new. Im pretty mechanically talented and im confident i can replace the VANOS seals myself. Should i do it when i replace the VCG since ill already be in there since it has 155K or should i wait? Thx

Parts Replaced since i got it:
    -Thermostat and housing
    -Water Pump
    -Full Cooling system flush
    -Fuel Pump (Car broke down on me on highway going 80mph and it felt like it was running outta fuel pulled off the highway and it stalled and didnt start so had to get a tow, got it towed home and it started but the idle was SUPER rough, first and last time i will try to self diagnose but the fuel pump didnt fix the issue. Turned out to be the vacume line comming from the air pump, it was nearly disintigrated when i pulled on it. Replaced that and haven't had any issues since and it idles smooth now.)
    -Fuel Filter (Might as well since i changed the pump)

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    I would replace the seals. They are not expensive and you are half way there with the vc off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by randy72877 View Post
    I would replace the seals. They are not expensive and you are half way there with the vc off.

I was thinking the same thing. The Kit from Bavauto PART #: B1100016 comes with the VCG, VANOS Seals, VANOS Gasket and rubber grommets for VC bolts for $85.32. IS A TORQUE WRENCH ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for the VANOS repair??

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Bump?

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    If you feel comfortable doing it without a torque wrench that is up to you. I have been a pro tech since the 90s and probably would not use one. I don't know your experience and skill level. Be safe and use a torque wrench. Mistakes on internal engine parts usually don't end well. If a bolt falls out or breaks off inside the engine it can do lots of damage. If you don't have a torque wrench I think many part stores have loaner tools.

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by randy72877 View Post
    If you feel comfortable doing it without a torque wrench that is up to you. I have been a pro tech since the 90s and probably would not use one. I don't know your experience and skill level. Be safe and use a torque wrench. Mistakes on internal engine parts usually don't end well. If a bolt falls out or breaks off inside the engine it can do lots of damage. If you don't have a torque wrench I think many part stores have loaner tools.

I'm Definitely NOT a Pro Tech but have always worked on all my cars since i was 18 (32 Now). Ive never done anything MAJOR myself (Tranny, Diff., ECU, ECM, ETC.) but i DO feel comfortable in my ability and there is ALWAYS Youtube. But the one thing that cant be taught is how much a nut/bolt should be tightened; its all in the wrist, lol. I think i might have to borrow one of my mechanic friends' Torque Wrench. ESPECIALLY with such a delicate and important part of the motor, i would HATE to snap a nut/bolt.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Buy or borrow a torque wrench to be safe. Also, buy the kit and the instruction from Dr Beisan. They are the experts in vanos repair. The instructions are extremely detailed.