Thread: 951Dreams 2001 740iL daily driver restoration thread....

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL

951Dreams 2001 740iL daily driver restoration thread....

Instead of starting new threads each time I fix or work on something I decided I'll just create this thread and put all that stuff here. I bought my E38 with 171k miles cause I was planning on it being a daily driver and I didn't want something like my low miles 951 that I was afraid to put miles on. I'd say it's a soild 7/10 car considering it's 18 years old. I think that's about right for a daily driver. It's a solid 10 footer. Lots of stuff pop's up if you get up close and start looking for stuff. And I know restoring a daily driver is like trying to empty the ocean with a bucket, but this car is just too much fun to drive to to be a garage queen. If I can get and keep this at a solid 8-9/10 car I'll be happy.

Lots of stuff already done, detailed elsewhere, won't cover again.

So my current list of things on the agenda are:

• Headlight washer replacement, both are broken on mine.
    • Source a car side rear brake sensor connector. Mine crumbled when I tried to change it. Nothing to grab but wires now. Works but needs addressed.
    • Both rear wheel well liners are gone. Like gone, gone. Need replaced.
    • Track down a vibration when AC is on and car is in gear. Seems to be either AC compressor or power steering pump. Not 100% sure yet. Seems RPM related. Can feel it AND hear it.
    • Got a tray to replace my phone holder in the arm rest, phone is MIA so it's useless as is.
    • Going to rig up USB charging hard wired into the car. More on that later today.
    • Got to get replacements for the right and left side arm rest trays... mine are MELTING... for real. No idea why or how, but they are melting, brittle, and flaking away.
    • Clear the airbag light
    • Clean up the tons caulk a PO went nuts with all over the car. I guess he didn't want leaks, and more was better in his book. He used it EVERYWHERE, even inside to glue the dash together. Inside he seems to have done a decent job at least, but still.
    • Noticed all the grease boots on the front steering/suspension are cracked/torn. No steering or suspension problems currently, but boots need replaced.
    • Need to replace sagging headliner that's currently held up with thumbtacks. You don't notice unless your riding in the rear, but ghetto!!
    • Need to do something about the driver rear ash tray. It's broken and won't stay in. Likely just going to glue it in as I don't allow smoking in the car anyway.
    • BMW floor mats. I've got nice rubber ones, but want a stock set under those. The rear is such a large area on the iL it's hard to find anything that covers it all.
    • Maybe have the drivers seat re-stuffed at some point. It's getting flat. All leather is good however. Distressed but no rips or tears.
    • Fix/repair/replace the rear sun screens.
    • Fix glove box latch.
    • Replace E-Brake return shock. Don't always fully return and have to pull the lever again. Turns off the brake, but the light isn't always happy and it dings at me. Annoying. You cant adjust the sensor, really BMW???
    • CUP HOLDERS, front and rear. Front is broke, rear won't come out. I use a wedge currently, so I got it covered, but it bothers me they don't work.
    • Need to remove the current old crappy tint. Think it was a Walmart self done job, and it's OLD. They want 3x the amount to remove the old tint vs installing new tint. So I'm going to remove it myself...I think...maybe.... Going to try at least.
    • Track down oil leak, I did the Valve covers so need to figure out where I'm still leaking.
    • Oil change. Drop pan and check for TCG pieces.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, and I know I'll find more. But that should keep me busy for awhile. Progress to follow.
    2001 740iL "Silver Beauty"
    1986 Porsche 951 "Silver Bullet"
    1987 Porsche 944 NA Auto (rebuilding for my son's first car)
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by 951Dreams View Post
    Instead of starting new threads each time I fix or work on something I decided I'll just create this thread and put all that stuff here. I bought my E38 with 171k miles cause I was planning on it being a daily driver and I didn't want something like my low miles 951 that I was afraid to put miles on. I'd say it's a soild 7/10 car considering it's 18 years old. I think that's about right for a daily driver. It's a solid 10 footer. Lots of stuff pop's up if you get up close and start looking for stuff. And I know restoring a daily driver is like trying to empty the ocean with a bucket, but this car is just too much fun to drive to to be a garage queen. If I can get and keep this at a solid 8-9/10 car I'll be happy.

Lots of stuff already done, detailed elsewhere, won't cover again.

So my current list of things on the agenda are:

• Headlight washer replacement, both are broken on mine.
    • Source a car side rear brake sensor connector. Mine crumbled when I tried to change it. Nothing to grab but wires now. Works but needs addressed.
    • Both rear wheel well liners are gone. Like gone, gone. Need replaced.
    • Track down a vibration when AC is on and car is in gear. Seems to be either AC compressor or power steering pump. Not 100% sure yet. Seems RPM related. Can feel it AND hear it.
    • Got a tray to replace my phone holder in the arm rest, phone is MIA so it's useless as is.
    • Going to rig up USB charging hard wired into the car. More on that later today.
    • Got to get replacements for the right and left side arm rest trays... mine are MELTING... for real. No idea why or how, but they are melting, brittle, and flaking away.
    • Clear the airbag light
    • Clean up the tons caulk a PO went nuts with all over the car. I guess he didn't want leaks, and more was better in his book. He used it EVERYWHERE, even inside to glue the dash together. Inside he seems to have done a decent job at least, but still.
    • Noticed all the grease boots on the front steering/suspension are cracked/torn. No steering or suspension problems currently, but boots need replaced.
    • Need to replace sagging headliner that's currently held up with thumbtacks. You don't notice unless your riding in the rear, but ghetto!!
    • Need to do something about the driver rear ash tray. It's broken and won't stay in. Likely just going to glue it in as I don't allow smoking in the car anyway.
    • BMW floor mats. I've got nice rubber ones, but want a stock set under those. The rear is such a large area on the iL it's hard to find anything that covers it all.
    • Maybe have the drivers seat re-stuffed at some point. It's getting flat. All leather is good however. Distressed but no rips or tears.
    • Fix/repair/replace the rear sun screens.
    • Fix glove box latch.
    • Replace E-Brake return shock. Don't always fully return and have to pull the lever again. Turns off the brake, but the light isn't always happy and it dings at me. Annoying. You cant adjust the sensor, really BMW???
    • CUP HOLDERS, front and rear. Front is broke, rear won't come out. I use a wedge currently, so I got it covered, but it bothers me they don't work.
    • Need to remove the current old crappy tint. Think it was a Walmart self done job, and it's OLD. They want 3x the amount to remove the old tint vs installing new tint. So I'm going to remove it myself...I think...maybe.... Going to try at least.
    • Track down oil leak, I did the Valve covers so need to figure out where I'm still leaking.
    • Oil change. Drop pan and check for TCG pieces.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, and I know I'll find more. But that should keep me busy for awhile. Progress to follow.
    Good luck, looks like a fun project! Where do you see the oil leak? Which area?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    Good luck, looks like a fun project! Where do you see the oil leak? Which area?
    To be honest I thought I had it fixed when I did my valve covers and intake. But when I had it in the garage for the brake job I noticed some spots. There were two, both from the front of the engine. Since I still have some smoking on startup I'm wondering if it's coming from the intake. My intake work and CCV replacement reduced the smoking by about 90%, but it's still there. From what I saw in my intake when I had it off, that could be a source.

Unfortunately, my engine is so covered in oil it's really hard to see where it's coming from. The VCs leaked and the intake leaked like crazy. I really need to clean it, but I had other projects in front of that. Like the brakes. The engine cleaning has gotten closer to the top now.

Of interest, it looked kinda watery. I almost wondered if it wasn't coolant, and it looks like oil cause of how oil covered my engine is. But I would think if it was a constant drip it would have cleaned most of the oil off by now.

I'll be looking into it soon. I do most of my work in the evening cause it's freaking hot right now!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 951Dreams; 06-19-2018 at 04:37 AM.
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    So my car didn't come with the phone. I mean it did new, but it was long gone by the time I got it. Having that useless phone shaped hole in my arm rest really bugged me, so I decided to take action. Here was the result.

I'm much happier now. You have to use part of the stock phone holder to get this to work, and this piece doesn't fit in it right "out of the box". I had to trim about 3mm off each end of the front lip to get it to mate right with the front part. Used a razor blade, took like 30 seconds. There is also nothing to hold it in place up there, so I JB Welded it. I also cut 4 strips of cardboard from the box it came in and put it under the tray. That's not a permanent fix, it was just to hold it till the JB Weld sets. But it does offer some support. The rear does have holders to keep it in place. The hardest part was getting the phone stuff out. There was a harness that didn't want to come out. And I didn't want to cut it just in case I ever feel like tracking down a phone for stock restoration reasons.

Also rigged up this.

I really don't like using chargers in the ashtray, the location sucks, the ones I have don't want to stay in, mine is somewhat rusted so if they do go in the connection is iffy, and lastly I always feel like I'm going to break the darn thing trying to shove chargers in there while trying to keep it from closing. The above was my solution.

It's out of the way, no messing with the ashtray trying to close, and if not being used I can close it. The only hacking I had to do was a small hole drilled into the back of that tray, and no one will ever notice. I wanted lighting to be able to see it in the dark, but like most of these the LED is annoyingly bright. A small piece of electrical tape and I ended up with this:

Honestly you can't see it at all, even in pitch dark, unless you look at it. It doesn't shine green out onto the console at all. Perfect. Very happy with it. I may hunt around for a better one some day, but for $7 at Walmart I'm satisfied.

My Cars
    2001 750il Chrome line
    Nice! I tapped into the garage door opener and went past the visor and down the A pillar. My phone is mounted on the left just above the vent. No funky stuff on my center console. Now it bugs me when my wife pugs into the ashtray.
    01' 750il Chromeline
    95 M3 LS swapped
    07 M5 Manual
    06' M5, Spartan wheels and a 507hp V10
    00' 740il Dinan, CAI, Romulus exhaust, Stage 5 engine and transmission tune, 750 brakes, camber plates, strut tower brace. Sold
    00' 323i wagon for daughter
    03' 525i wagon for the wife, sold
    98' 740i for the daughter, wrecked
    92' 525i with over 200k, wrecked
    02' R1200 CLC, hit by a bus and broken in half. That one made the news!
    It's like herpes there is no cure but if treated properly you can live with it for the rest of your life

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    To be honest I thought I had it fixed when I did my valve covers and intake. But when I had it in the garage for the brake job I noticed some spots. There were two, both from the front of the engine. Since I still have some smoking on startup I'm wondering if it's coming from the intake. My intake work and CCV replacement reduced the smoking by about 90%, but it's still there. From what I saw in my intake when I had it off, that could be a source.

Unfortunately, my engine is so covered in oil it's really hard to see where it's coming from. The VCs leaked and the intake leaked like crazy. I really need to clean it, but I had other projects in front of that. Like the brakes. The engine cleaning has gotten closer to the top now.

Of interest, it looked kinda watery. I almost wondered if it wasn't coolant, and it looks like oil cause of how oil covered my engine is. But I would think if it was a constant drip it would have cleaned most of the oil off by now.

I'll be looking into it soon. I do most of my work in the evening cause it's freaking hot right now!!

Unfortunately it's hard to clean the engine block, especially on the sides. Most of my leak was from the front, around the lower timing cover. Those 18 years old gaskets were useless, they broke like glass when I removed them. I still have some leak from the back of the engine, but that's not something I can fix myself. Will probably just live with it, it's not too bad.
    If you ever do the TCG job that will take care of almost the gaskets.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Unfortunately it's hard to clean the engine block, especially on the sides. Most of my leak was from the front, around the lower timing cover. Those 18 years old gaskets were useless, they broke like glass when I removed them. I still have some leak from the back of the engine, but that's not something I can fix myself. Will probably just live with it, it's not too bad.
    If you ever do the TCG job that will take care of almost the gaskets.
    Bite your tongue!!! No TCGs for me sir!!! LOL

I was honestly surprised when I saw the drops, I had thought I had the oil issues solved. Due to my Porsche's getting the garage I have to park the BMW outside. I had noticed all the oil spots had been fading. To be honest it seemed really watery, so maybe I do have something else going on. Had a death in the family so I don't think it will be looked at soon. Maybe next week. If I can figure it out I'll report back.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Bite your tongue!!! No TCGs for me sir!!! LOL
    Sorry for that, your car will be the ONLY ONE with forever lasting TCGs

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Sorry for that, your car will be the ONLY ONE with forever lasting TCGs
    I can only hope!!!

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    my car runs so much better after the TCG etc upgrade, I'm really happy that I made it. Way overspent on it tho, replaced too many things.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    See, I have this issue, if it comes off or gets uncovered (easy access), and it's a "wear" part, a new one goes on. Period. So than means new alternator, new power steering pump, new AC compressor, new pulleys, new fans, new radiator, new thermostat, new hoses, the works. I've become a big fan of only "doing it once" on projects like this. If I'm that deep it's getting rebuild. That's what up with my 87 944. It will be a new engine when I'm done.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    See, I have this issue, if it comes off or gets uncovered (easy access), and it's a "wear" part, a new one goes on. Period. So than means new alternator, new power steering pump, new AC compressor, new pulleys, new fans, new radiator, new thermostat, new hoses, the works. I've become a big fan of only "doing it once" on projects like this. If I'm that deep it's getting rebuild. That's what up with my 87 944. It will be a new engine when I'm done.
    I'm totally with you, but that still doesnt make it right I think I've spent over $3K on my TCG project, basically replaced everything on the way. It's like a new engine, runs like new too though.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Modded my 20 pin under the hood so I can now read an program from the OBD2 port in the cabin.

Ran all my modules again to test it. Found lots of fun errors. When I first got INPA up and running I cleared all my errors cause some were very old. Now I just have the new ones to deal with....

Let's see...

Cats not cating up to par. It's complaining one is not doing its job it seems. Surprised it hasn't thrown a light yet.

It was complaining about the gas pedal, something about emergency switch something.

Complaining the aux water pump is shorted to ground.

Something about the AUC sensor.

Complaining about my oil sensor.

My wide screen display is throwing some error "unknown location". Found out that means INPA doesn't have a definition for it.

Couple of passenger air bag warnings.

Those were the major ones. Haven't researched them all yet, nor translated them all. I translated enough to figure out if they were major or not.

I think I'll attack the air bag ones first, want that light off. Also the oil sensor, gonna change the oil soon. Then I'll look into the aux water pump and AUC sensor. The cat will need dealing with, but that's lower on the list.

Oh, and need to figure out why it still smokes on start up even after replacing the CCV....

Fun times.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    I think I'll attack the air bag ones first, want that light off.
    I have fixed that recently
    Start with getting a new module, check your version but likely it will be MRSZ3 You can buy any on ebay with software version 2.X or 3.X. Avoid MRSZ4, unless that's what you have in the car (I doubt that) MRSZ4 superseded MRSZ3, but it's not compatible with your other sensors. That's why it's important that you get the correct one.
    They used to be selling for $30-$50. Only buy one with free return/refund! Very likely it will be also defective I think I bought 4 until I got a working one, returned the other 3. Only buy it from warm states like CA, seriously. Nothing from Lithuania/Sweden or even US North. Just put it in when you get it and see what error remains, you can take it from there.
    In my case it was the module and the seat belt sensor, fixed everything for $30 and some DeOxit and no more check-light or airbag module error. Hardest part was finding a working module.
    Coding is a bit tricky, but I dont think it's really necessary. Anyway, I did it just for fun.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by georgebest; 06-28-2018 at 09:40 PM.

My Cars
    E46 M3 conv, E30 325iS, E39 M5
    Not really of consequence, but on more than one E38 I own/have owned, the phone tray fit in without fitting, trimming or JB-welding. I wonder what happened.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by nmlss2006 View Post
    Not really of consequence, but on more than one E38 I own/have owned, the phone tray fit in without fitting, trimming or JB-welding. I wonder what happened.
    Dunno, there just wasn't anything up front to support the new tray. Didn't cost me anything to fab it up, and looks fine up top.

So I checked my oil today. Been what... 3-4 weeks since I ran it 3 quarts low? It was dead on where it was when I filled it. How can I loose 3 quarts in 2 months, and nothing in 3 weeks???

Used Mobile 1 both times. I just don't know. I do have a small leak still, need to get it on ramps and look into it. Also my tranny is acting a little shady. Every once in awhile it does weird stuff, so I'm thinking a filter/fluid change has moved up the list. It was on the list, but father down. Going OEM with filter per all I've read here.

Otherwise things have been going well. Love my 7!!!

My Cars
    E46 M3 conv, E30 325iS, E39 M5
    How many miles on the oil leak? Though I have to say, three quarts in two months you should be leaving a trail like a Jag...

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Like how many miles has it been leaking?? Or since I did my Valve cover work? Overall it looks like it's been leaking for 50k miles. Engine is covered. And I had pretty big puddles under the car. Did the VC's and intake about what.... 3-4k miles ago?

For awhile I had no leaking.... but when I did the brakes recently I noticed it was leaking again. It's been too hot to figure out exactly where, but it doesn't appear to be the VC's. The leak seems to be growing the last few weeks.

It also smokes on startup sometimes. Was REALLY bad before I did the work, it's only about 10% of what it was. And now ONLY on startup.

I can live with the smoking on startup, but I hate oil leaks. I swear it's the one thing I dislike about German cars!!