Thread: Rear drive shaft removal issues

My Cars
    2001 740i

Rear drive shaft removal issues

I’m replacing my rear drive shaft currently in my car, I am aware that the car has to be jacked up on all 4 tires and e brake needs to be pulled up and the gear needs to be shifted to natural or drive however my rear wheels still spin and I can’t loosen up the nuts because of this because the tires still spin my thinking was that my ebrake is shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Sounds like it. Here's a trick. Use a second wrench over another nut to hold the shaft from spinning.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    yup. or a longer screw driver between two nuts
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
    Sounds like it. Here's a trick. Use a second wrench over another nut to hold the shaft from spinning.
    Thanks I’ll try that out tomorrow I’ll update when I get the multiple nuts undone

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    yup. or a longer screw driver between two nuts
    Also an option I’ll have to check out thanks

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Just grab the shaft and hold it in place like a man
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Just an update I got the drive shaft to stop spinning I had to pull the e brake and have the car in PARK oddly enough this is for a IX model. Still can’t bust the nuts off with the wrench however letting some lithium grease sit on it till Saturday in hope to be able to use a rubber mallet in assistance to wack them off.

My Cars
    or a cheater bar over the wrench
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    Use your legs. Literally put your foot on the wrench and push with your legs. Always been the easiest way for me.

My Cars
    E30
    Lithium grease is not likely to help. You want to get some penetrating oil, like PB Blaster (works but shells awful and splashes) or the penetrating stuff made by WD40.

One problem is that the staked nuts embedded in the driveshaft flange can strip and spin with the nut. I think that some driveshafts have these welded in place, but on ones that do not, it can happen. This is a huge pain in the ass. In my case, it made reinstalling the ovalled nuts a big pain, but I was able to get vise grips onto the head and make it work.

Go get yourself a dead-blow hammer. It is a plastic/rubber mallet with sand inside. These will often break troublesome fasteners loose without placing an unreasonable shock load on things.

My Cars
    e30s
    so that's opposite to hitting it with his purse? lol

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwman91 View Post
    Lithium grease is not likely to help. You want to get some penetrating oil, like PB Blaster (works but shells awful and splashes) or the penetrating stuff made by WD40.

One problem is that the staked nuts embedded in the driveshaft flange can strip and spin with the nut. I think that some driveshafts have these welded in place, but on ones that do not, it can happen. This is a huge pain in the ass. In my case, it made reinstalling the ovalled nuts a big pain, but I was able to get vise grips onto the head and make it work.

Go get yourself a dead-blow hammer. It is a plastic/rubber mallet with sand inside. These will often break troublesome fasteners loose without placing an unreasonable shock load on things.
    Thanks dude I’m trying that now hopefully I have some success

My Cars
    2001 740i
    So I finally got all the hardware off the rear driveshaft how do I remove it now? These weird little bolts are the only things that remains do they slide out if I wack them on the opposing side to remove them?

My Cars
    no, leave those. did you pull the center support bearing bolts so the driveshaft is not hung up from the middle? DO NOT LET THE DRIVE SHAFT SPLIT IN TWO!!!! if you do, you might as well buy another because it sucks so much trying to get it back to balanced. or you can hope there is a good place around your town that can balance a drive shaft.

anyways, if you don't drop the center support bearing, you won't get enough slack in the driveshaft to get those bolts to slide out of their holes.

- - - Updated - - -

also, you got the other two bolts, also, on that flange? there are four bolts on each side of the drive shaft that you have to remove those large nuts from
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    no, leave those. did you pull the center support bearing bolts so the driveshaft is not hung up from the middle? DO NOT LET THE DRIVE SHAFT SPLIT IN TWO!!!! if you do, you might as well buy another because it sucks so much trying to get it back to balanced. or you can hope there is a good place around your town that can balance a drive shaft.

anyways, if you don't drop the center support bearing, you won't get enough slack in the driveshaft to get those bolts to slide out of their holes.

- - - Updated - - -

also, you got the other two bolts, also, on that flange? there are four bolts on each side of the drive shaft that you have to remove those large nuts from
    Thanks for the fair warning it looks like the center support bearing is missing the previous owner must have removed it, I uploaded a video under the car of the general area of the REAR DRIVESHAFT. https://youtu.be/EdIhV0MsPMI

My Cars
    I cannot watch those videos here at work, and I hardly ever get on after work, so someone else will have to check it out.

how did they mount the driveshaft with no center support bearing? the driveshaft would flop around and drag on the ground. you bought this car and it was not drivable and you are bringing her back?

anyways, hopefully its smooth sailing from here on out. keep asking questions and I will try and answer, as well as the others answering
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    I cannot watch those videos here at work, and I hardly ever get on after work, so someone else will have to check it out.

how did they mount the driveshaft with no center support bearing? the driveshaft would flop around and drag on the ground. you bought this car and it was not drivable and you are bringing her back?

anyways, hopefully its smooth sailing from here on out. keep asking questions and I will try and answer, as well as the others answering
    It’s all good man I still appreciate your help the car was completely drivable when I got it, I’m puzzled how it’s missing I already took out the front driveshaft already it seems like the center support bearing is located at the front driveshaft and not the rear. IX’s are weird honestly.

My Cars
    ohh, I forgot its an ix
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtCobain View Post
    ItÂ’s all good man I still appreciate your help the car was completely drivable when I got it, IÂ’m puzzled how itÂ’s missing I already took out the front driveshaft already it seems like the center support bearing is located at the front driveshaft and not the rear. IXÂ’s are weird honestly.

The IX does not have a Central Support Bearing (front or rear driveshaft).

You can knock out those 4 half-head bolts (knurled bolts) to remove driveshaft. I recommend ordering 4 new ones to replace (but its up to you and budget)
    https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...on=26111206718

A couple of things - Do you have a workshop manual (Bentley)? Also use this site to view diagrams of the parts you are removing http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select to help you orient yourself. I recommend buying a Bentley - I hear there are some free pdf's available on the googler machine if you look hard enough.

Also - Put the car that you are working on in either the first post - what year, model, sedan /coupe, transmission - Im guessing 1988-90 325IX coupe with Auto transmission? It helps us help you.

Why are you "replacing" your rear driveshaft? Seems like a lot of work for something you state later was completely "drivable".

My Cars
    2001 740i

Rear drive shaft removal issues

Quote Originally Posted by 95BMWIC View Post
    The IX does not have a Central Support Bearing (front or rear driveshaft).

You can knock out those 4 half-head bolts (knurled bolts) to remove driveshaft. I recommend ordering 4 new ones to replace (but its up to you and budget)
    https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...on=26111206718

A couple of things - Do you have a workshop manual (Bentley)? Also use this site to view diagrams of the parts you are removing http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select to help you orient yourself. I recommend buying a Bentley - I hear there are some free pdf's available on the googler machine if you look hard enough.

Also - Put the car that you are working on in either the first post - what year, model, sedan /coupe, transmission - Im guessing 1988-90 325IX coupe with Auto transmission? It helps us help you.

Why are you "replacing" your rear driveshaft? Seems like a lot of work for something you state later was completely "drivable".
    Thanks for all your help I was puzzled about the center support bearing, I been meaning to buy a Bentley just haven’t got to it. And I have just be replacing a lot of parts lately ever since my heater core decided to stop running on me causing the car to overheat so I’ve been diligent and have been replacing a lot of parts with brand new ones. It’s kinda overkill what I’m doing but I’d rather service things I know that will fail eventually while everything is easy to reach since a lot of the car is taken apart at the current moment. The main reason for the driveshaft being services is because the car would vibrate a little so I figured the flex disk needs to be replaced.

Last edited by HurtCobain; 06-26-2018 at 12:28 PM.