Thread: Power steering coolers

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

Power steering coolers

Let's talk about power steering coolers.

Where to mount, how to mount, and which style.

I need to get my power steering fluid temps down. My set up is likely different from everyone else, but right now, my headers/crossover/turbo is heating up my power steering fluid on runs.

I know its heating up and boiling, because at the end of every run, There will be air in the lines (whining ps pump) and ill let it cool down and it'll be fine. I also moved and heat shielded the ps lines away from the heat source, and it lasts longer now (without boiling), but still not long enough. so, I need a cooler.

my current thinking is a tube and fin style cooler to completely replace the stock cooler, in the same location (front of ps rack). But I would like to hear some other ideas.

Particularly, the benefits of the finned cylinder designs.

Also, I have heard of some mushy-ness caused by putting a PS cooler between a LS1 pump and BMW rack, can anyone confirm? I am slightly over driving my pump, so I may have a little increased pressure anyway....

TIA!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I had a PS cooler on my bmw rack with my LS2. It felt 100% stock on my E30. I'm a fan of those autozone specials where it's just a tube + fins. Placement is really anywhere that gets air. I try to mount them on or behind something solid so it won't go flying in a crash. That's it. No reason not to do it. It's barely any additional weight.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    JZ here running a koyorad 15row cooler with a chasebays reservoir, works perfectly, feels stock.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I hated my LS pump with bmw rack either way, but I also had real bad boiling problems. I installed a summit brand heat sink syle cooler in front of the rack, and somehow it was impossible to bleed and made the problem worse. Switched to Amsoil PS (higher BP) and it helped enough to get by. Now I run an E46 pump with Amsoil and it doesn't become an issue until 10+ hotlaps of a mile long track