Thread: Is the sun tearing apart my Z4?

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Is the sun tearing apart my Z4?

I just got this Z4 about a month ago and MAN is it a blast to drive! It's a 2003 and I have a similar vintage Honda and Saturn but this one is falling apart on the inside far more than they are. Are BMWs really this fragile or is this something related to it being a convertible?

In the past two weeks I've had the direction tab for a vent snap off, one hinge for the console/storage (by your elbow) break and the wide pushbutton release for the console break too. When I was working on fixing the horn one of the silver trim pieces broke off too. My wife has introduced me to the lovely invention of a hot glue gun, so at least that's fixed for now.

As purchased, there is a crack in the main center plastic up above the console near the headrests, cracks in the interior plastic above the windshield, the seat backs are both separated from the seats, the little circle trim piece around the lock "antenna" was broken in half and has now disappeared, the passenger cup holder has fallen to pieces, the little plastic cover for the top's release-from-windshield motor won't stay on, the volume knob on the stereo looks very weathered and pitted and finally the cowl cover's rubber is cracked and has mostly fallen off. On that last part, the guy at the salvage yard didn't have any cowl covers in decent shape on his lot, including from an '07.

Yikes!

It's a Kansas car and has seen a lot of hot sun and cold winters. Since I bought it I've been leaving the top down parked outside at work. Is that going to exacerbate my issues? I haven't had a convertible before so I don't know best practices here.
    Last edited by P3PPY; 06-19-2018 at 10:02 AM.

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by P3PPY View Post
    I just got this Z4 about a month ago and MAN is it a blast to drive! It's a 2003 and I have a similar vintage Honda and Saturn but this one is falling apart on the inside far more than they are. Are BMWs really this fragile or is this something related to it being a convertible?

In the past two weeks I've had the direction tab for a vent snap off, one hinge for the console/storage (by your elbow) break and the wide pushbutton release for the console break too. When I was working on fixing the horn one of the silver trim pieces broke off too. My wife has introduced me to the lovely invention of a hot glue gun, so at least that's fixed for now.

As purchased, there is a crack in the main center plastic up above the console near the headrests, cracks in the interior plastic above the windshield, the seat backs are both separated from the seats, the little circle trim piece around the lock "antenna" was broken in half and has now disappeared, the passenger cup holder has fallen to pieces, the little plastic cover for the top's release-from-windshield motor won't stay on, the volume knob on the stereo looks very weathered and pitted and finally the cowl cover's rubber is cracked and has mostly fallen off. On that last part, the guy at the salvage yard didn't have any cowl covers in decent shape on his lot, including from an '07.

Yikes!

It's a Kansas car and has seen a lot of hot sun and cold winters. Since I bought it I've been leaving the top down parked outside at work. Is that going to exacerbate my issues? I haven't had a convertible before so I don't know best practices here.
    The short answer is YES. The plastics do not fare well over time and sun accelerates the process. The interior plastics have a painted surface which turns gummy over time. I would say a garage is important, or at least a cover.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Are there any coatings you can use on interiors?

My Cars
    2008 Z4
    How many miles? Some cars fare better over 15yrs than other but the plastic bits always go and even more so in hot sunny places.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i