Thread: I could use some help

My Cars
    03 bmw 525i 96 bmw 318ti

I could use some help

Here's the story. I stumbled up on a 03 525i . It was sitting on the back lot of a car dealership i often ride pass. It was really clean in side and out . Only problem is it didn't run. The owner threw me the keys and said check it out and see if your interested. I came to the conclusion it was a blown head gasket . He gave me the car for $300 dollars. I have taken it apart and found the head was warped . Sent it to my machine shop and they did valve job and checked for cracks and milled it flat. The block was checked and there was no warpage and before taking it apart all the head bolts were still tight . I know you guys frown upon trying to repair these but i feel i can take a chance on it. My question is should i go with an oversized head gasket to make up for what was milled off the head. It was either 3/1000 or 30/1000 . I will have to hit up my machinist to get the exact number. He said it will be fine . We have built 10 engines together. What do you guys think. This is my first I6 engine.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    I have done a HG on this engine. The thicker head gasket is 0.3mm thicker than the standard gasket. 0.3mm = 11.8 1000's of an inch. Confirm with your machinist, but if he took off just 3/1000's you can use the standard gasket which is what i did. It worked fine.

Obviously new head bolts and follow the correct M54 tightening sequence. Don't go cheap on a head gasket. I used Elring. I strongly recommend time-serting the block ( I won't do it any other way) to prevent pulling out threads on re-installation. Re-install with exhaust manifolds mounted to head. I used a hoist for re-installation.

Reinstalling head and cams is not too difficult, but timing the variable valve timing (Vanos) is a little more difficult, but not bad with the proper timing tools...search on it.

Also welcome as a new poster. You will get better feedback if you are more descriptive in the title of your threads. Instead of "I could use some help" how about: "Question on head gaskets" or something? I would suggest you edit it for future searching if you are able.
    Last edited by effduration; 06-18-2018 at 01:44 PM.