Thread: E36 km value from any module?

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 320i

E36 km value from any module?

Hi!

Can I get the REAL km from any module of the car? Except the cluster. I've full ADS diagnostic support.

And, how can I know, the cluster is a stock or not?

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball1991 View Post
    Can I get the REAL km from any module of the car? Except the cluster. I've full ADS diagnostic support.
    Not that I know of. It is a big problem with cars of that era. At one time, the ADAC (German automobile club) estimated that a quarter of the cars had had their distance rolled back to improve their resale value. Merely rolling back the odometer used to be legal; doing that and then claiming the distance was true, was not.

And, how can I know, the cluster is a stock or not?
    I suppose you could look at the cluster's manufacturing date and compare it to the car's production week.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    I suppose you could look at the cluster's manufacturing date and compare it to the car's production week.
    Parts sit on shelves for weeks / months
    You don't need ADS to know this you can read the last 7 of the VIN in the cluster self test.

You can also match the VIN / GM / SA and the other one to the info in the EWS or on one of the fuel pump and sender covers under the back seat or the label stapled to the back seat (if original seat)

You can change the chassis no in a cluster and the ZCS / GM / SA info etc with NCSexpert / WINKFP - but not the mileage with those tools.

Dude you have an old car so stop worrying. Will make beggar all difference to worth anyway. Learn to code useful stuff
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Parts sit on shelves for weeks / months....
    Generally not while the cars were being made. My car's engine compartment harness, for example, was finished the evening before the car went into production.

My Cars
    325is
    US cars have a tamper light / dot on the Odometer.

Hoover someone found a way to alter the dot display.

Last edited by gc325is; 06-18-2018 at 10:22 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 320i
    Yes I know, probably it's not the REAL km in my cluster and I think it's not a stock, never mind I just interested in for fun, I started this from my cruise control, cause from my vin it's an original part of the car, but when I activate it I didn't get any indicator lamp on on my dash. However I'm not sure, should this module show me something? Or it's from e46?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by gc325is View Post
    US cars have a tamper light / dot on the Odometer.

Hoover someone found a way to alter the dot display.

Is not US specific. Later clusters have the coding plug. All this does is store the milage in two spots, which you can sync up. The higher number in either part is the number that will be synched.

But you can take a cluster from a different car, the coding plug from another car and put it all in yet another car.

Cluster is coded to the chassis, but this can also be overwritten. You can never be 100% sure. But using some common sense and some BMW tools and you can make a fair educated guess.

The milage can be hacked, but not easy on the E36 cluster, but there are tools to alter the milage. But this is not some setup as easy to obtain as a diagnostics cable.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    ... The milage can be hacked, but not easy on the E36 cluster, but there are tools to alter the milage. But this is not some setup as easy to obtain as a diagnostics cable....
    The E36 cluster is pretty easy to hack, although not quite as easy as one of the Audi clusters which helpfully stored the distance as printable text! (I know a fellow who used to be in the business.)

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball1991 View Post
    Yes I know, probably it's not the REAL km in my cluster and I think it's not a stock, never mind I just interested in for fun, I started this from my cruise control, cause from my vin it's an original part of the car, but when I activate it I didn't get any indicator lamp on on my dash. However I'm not sure, should this module show me something? Or it's from e46?
    GR2 Speed hold (cruise) on the E36 does not have any lights on the dash.

However, just read the info tab or do any of the other things I said to read the VIN in your cluster...………………. At this point I give up because you have all the tools so if not reading no point.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.