Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E46 M3 Harmon Kardon system replacement - help needed!

My Cars
    E46 M3 Convertible

E46 M3 Harmon Kardon system replacement - help needed!

Hi guys,

So I have an '04 M3 'vert, with HK system, and I desperately want to replace the factory system, but i'm confused. I've found a head unit that I rate (a full 9" screen that doesn't require a huge bezel):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-for-BMW-3...4AAOSwcOFaPG9q

But I think that it lacks RCA line outs for amplifier support, hence why it says you may need an extension cable also for the speakers - I presume this is to bypass the amp and wire the speakers directly to the head unit - any ideas?

Ideally I want to go with the above head unit, replace the HK amp, woofer and speakers, but still wire the speakers from the new amp, as opposed to running new looms or extensions to the front.

Any advice or suggestions highly appreciated!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The factory amp, regardless of the audio system, gets balanced differential signals from the head unit. The factory amp has built in crossovers, so installing an amp will require external crossovers.

The factory head unit in every E46 sold in the USA is the same (for that year) regardless of the audio system.
    Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 02-21-2020 at 06:14 AM.

My Cars
    E46 M3 Convertible
    Thanks for that Marco - how about the wiring, with external crossovers, can I add any head unit to and power the speakers via an amp, or does the head unit need RCA line outs?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I swapped out the factory amp in my old 330Ci with a JL 400/4. I chose this amp because it accepts balanced differential signals. JL has several amps that accept balanced differential signals. I mounted the new amp on a piece of MDF and bolted into the factory amp location. I’d bought 2 3-way crossovers and 2 2-way crossovers (for the rear). I mounted the 4 crossovers on a piece of MDF and mounted it under the rear package shelf. I then spliced in wires to the chassis audio harness and hooked them up to the crossovers. It’s fairly straightforward.

My Cars
    E46 2004 Convertible HK
    So after searching the whole internet for the answer, I found these comments most relevant and kinda hope you guys can help me with my situation.

Car - E46 2004 convertible with Harman Kardon system
    My level as car mechanic - 4/10

I installed a new Infinity Kappa Component system in the front door 260W to find out that its not as easy as my previous project on Camry 1998 and it won't work as the amp only puts out 21W or something like that to that speaker. Now I am convinced that I need to replace factory amp. Seems like you have done this so here are my questions ?

If I buy this - https://www.crutchfield.com/S-1kHG8H...s-300-4v2.html

- Is this in place replacement ?
    - Do I need to rerun speaker cables to front doors all the way ?
    - What will power the amp ?
    - Do I plug out cables going into factory amp and plug them into JL ?
    - And JL out put to speakers can use existing speaker cables somehow ?
    - What happens to factory sub ? (ski-pass between rear seats of convertible)

Notes
    - Till now this helped me understand connection a bit - http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...11&postcount=5
    - I don't mind not using factory sub because 4 Infinity Kappa component speakers with dynamat installation is going to produce enough bass for my taste.
    - I have a factory Android 8 unit Carplay unit from Xtrons that i just installed and ran the cable all the way to the trunk (was pain in the ass in convertible)
    - Goal is to get these Kappa speaks working with minimal mods.
    Last edited by E46ConvertHK04; 02-20-2020 at 10:14 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The amp is fine. JL makes excellent amps.
    First, contact crutchfield to see if they have an adapter that’ll allow you hook up the JL amp to the factory connectors. If they don’t have an adapter try other car audio websites and forums. https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forums/ is a great site. If there are no adapters available you’ll have to do a bunch of soldering.

I’ve been told that the M3 factory amp does NOT contain the crossovers. So, you won’t need to install crossovers or new wiring. Check the E46Fanatics website.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Quote Originally Posted by paulgreeny83 View Post
    Hi guys,

So I have an '04 M3 'vert, with HK system, and I desperately want to replace the factory system, but i'm confused. I've found a head unit that I rate (a full 9" screen that doesn't require a huge bezel):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-for-BMW-3...4AAOSwcOFaPG9q

But I think that it lacks RCA line outs for amplifier support
    No it doesn't - there are RCA outputs on this unit so you would need to run RCA cable(s) from the deck to your trunk.
    Yes, you can re-use factory wiring from the HK amplifier area/your new amplifier if you know what you are doing.