Thread: Need my radio "restored"

My Cars
    1978 635Csi, 1988 735iM

Need my radio "restored"

So my 88 735i/M is coming along and getting close to being ready for a big road trip to Daytona this summer... however! the radio is crackly which changes when you wiggle the volume button. Ive read that you can clean it and Ive sprayed electronic cleaner in around the knob as suggested and.. it really didnt do much.
    So, if anyone has any advice or a recommendation of a shop because Ive googled and it seems most of the places Im finding dont mess with anything past 1996.

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    Email here radiodoc@bellsouth.net
    His name is Bill. He's in St Augustine Florida. Did amazing work on my Blaupunkt Toronto. He has access to parts from people here and in Germany. He even switched out my CD mechanism from a Euro parts radio to my US version of the same radio. Most important he is a gentleman. He'll respond and answer all your questions. I had a great experience with him just recently. Found him on the Porsche Blaupunkt chat board. If you want, tell him you got his email from Jeff Kopelow in Boynton Beach. Good luck
    Jeff
    Last edited by CroughtonE32; 06-18-2018 at 06:28 PM.
    1990 735I (Auto) E32 Feb 1990 to Present
    1996 Z3 Roadster (5 Speed) E36/7 Jan 1999 to Dec 1999
    1983 733I (5 Speed) E23 April 1983 to Feb 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4tHoHGaJo
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av20xCMMocSsyEpl...h_oOk?e=ekIcAT

My Cars
    1978 635Csi, 1988 735iM
    Thanks Jeff!! Exactly what I was hoping our little forum could provide ha.

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by CroughtonE32 View Post
    Email here radiodoc@bellsouth.net
    His name is Bill. He's in St Augustine Florida. Did amazing work on my Blaupunkt Toronto. He has access to parts from people here and in Germany. He even switched out my CD mechanism from a Euro parts radio to my US version of the same radio. Most important he is a gentleman. He'll respond and answer all your questions. I had a great experience with him just recently. Found him on the Porsche Blaupunkt chat board. If you want, tell him you got his email from Jeff Kopelow in Boynton Beach. Good luck
    Jeff
    Sorry to barge in on this thread but I'm also looking to get my e32 OEM radio restored (the Pioneer KE91zbm version 4). The tape deck belts are toast and some of the back lights are out, and I want to keep the stock radio, mostly for the weatherband function and keeping the car period correct.

I've been trying to find options for someone who can refurbish the old BMW radios. I found this guy from some searching:
    http://www.doctordons.com/

I think somebody in the e34 forum had success with him, but the person you recommend is fairly local to me. Do you know if he works on the stock BMW radios of the e32/e34?

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    I found this guy I posted about just above. His name is Bill Hann. He's very well known on the Porsche radio fix board. He works on older Blaupunkts and just about every older radio. He even works on the Beckers. He's an older guy like I am. Responds to emails and has a phone number. You might wait a while until he gets to your radio, but he has the contacts for parts and can fix most anything. I have the perfect Blaupunkt Toronto RDM126. The last radio in the 90's manufactured to fit the E32 and others with a single CD and a rear mounted six CD changer if you can find one. It matches the BMW orange dash spot on so I never wanted to lose it. When the CD player went, I ordered a broken one from Europe with no pixels and used it as a parts radio. Bill was able to work and clean my laser pick up as well as removing the CD mechanism from the Euro version and moving it into my US version of the same radio. After a good cleaning, everything is back to new and all is well. You can ship to him and he'll call and give you an estimate as well as ship back to anywhere in the country. I was lucky that he is in St. Augustine Florida about 100 miles north of me. I can's say any more good things about Bill. I didn't have a single complaint and the work was done well. I hope he takes care of you as well as he did me, if you make contact with him.
    Jeff

My Cars
    1989 735iL & others
    I had my 1989 735il oem radio restored at Car Radio Center in Garden Grove CA. If I remember is it was the panasonic model. He was able to get all the parts.

NT
    My Garage '02 SD ford F-350, '12 Fusion (Just got totaled), '85 Bronco (sold), '98 Explorer (sold), '90 F-250, '89 735iL, '05 Audi A6, '01 F150

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by CroughtonE32 View Post
    I found this guy I posted about just above. His name is Bill Hann. He's very well known on the Porsche radio fix board. He works on older Blaupunkts and just about every older radio. He even works on the Beckers. He's an older guy like I am. Responds to emails and has a phone number. You might wait a while until he gets to your radio, but he has the contacts for parts and can fix most anything. I have the perfect Blaupunkt Toronto RDM126. The last radio in the 90's manufactured to fit the E32 and others with a single CD and a rear mounted six CD changer if you can find one. It matches the BMW orange dash spot on so I never wanted to lose it. When the CD player went, I ordered a broken one from Europe with no pixels and used it as a parts radio. Bill was able to work and clean my laser pick up as well as removing the CD mechanism from the Euro version and moving it into my US version of the same radio. After a good cleaning, everything is back to new and all is well. You can ship to him and he'll call and give you an estimate as well as ship back to anywhere in the country. I was lucky that he is in St. Augustine Florida about 100 miles north of me. I can's say any more good things about Bill. I didn't have a single complaint and the work was done well. I hope he takes care of you as well as he did me, if you make contact with him.
    Jeff
    Awesome! Thanks for all the info. I'll definitely get in contact with him.

My Cars
    1978 635Csi, 1988 735iM
    Bill seemed VERY knowledgeable and ready to help me out however his wait is backed up til september.. I decided Id wait for him after our conversation though, the thought of someone older than me working on my stuff always makes me feel better ha.

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    Quote Originally Posted by 6erWEBB View Post
    Bill seemed VERY knowledgeable and ready to help me out however his wait is backed up til september.. I decided Id wait for him after our conversation though, the thought of someone older than me working on my stuff always makes me feel better ha.
    Glad you made contact. He's worth waiting for. My radio went off to a guy in Philadelphia with a huge web site who charged me 60 dollars for a diagnosis and wanted 670 dollars to get parts from Europe. I just took the radio back. Locally I couldn't find anyone. Then I found Bill on that Porsche site who charged me a couple hundred dollars plus a little bit for shipping. Just a down right honest man.