Thread: 1993 325i sedan

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi

1993 325i sedan

Found a 93 325i in green (what's the green called?) with 179k for $1k. Good idea? I have not heard anything bad about these as far as reliability goes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Boston Green Metallic (paint code 275) ..I've seen the ad for the car that your considering and it looks really clean.
    Last edited by Bostongruen; 06-17-2018 at 07:01 PM.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    In RI? Yea, I've emailed, waiting for a reply...

My Cars
    Yes, the one in RI on CL. You might ask the owner about the paint. In '93, the E36s had the grey rocker panels and bumper pieces. Find out if the whole car was repainted of it was just the rockers and bumpers.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    Were they plastic? I think I kind of would prefer that seeing as there'd be less of a chance of rust. I will definitely ask though!

Guessing by your name you like Bostongrün as a color.

My Cars
    The bumper bits are plastic but the rockers have the grey paint on top of the body color. Personally, I like how the grey looks especially on the Boston Green sedans. Here's the one that I drive.
    1 (2).jpg

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    Yea, I agree, I also like the contrast and three utilitarianness of it. I really wanted a standard - is the auto OK? I really don't like the auto on my e90...

My Cars
    99 M3 Vert
    The autos in those things are GM units, they're reasonably reliable, nothing spectacular. If you do get it, thing to check is if the cooling system has been refurbished lately. The plastic parts they used for the radiator/clutch fan/thermostat housing/waterpump don't age well, and while there's a lot of annoying things that can go wrong with these old E36's, the cooling system is the only thing that really has the potential to strand you somewhere.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by MSCHMITZ View Post
    Yea, I agree, I also like the contrast and three utilitarianness of it. I really wanted a standard - is the auto OK? I really don't like the auto on my e90...
    I've got no experience driving or owning an E36 auto. I've had two E12 autos that were tolerable.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by galuple View Post
    The autos in those things are GM units, they're reasonably reliable, nothing spectacular. If you do get it, thing to check is if the cooling system has been refurbished lately. The plastic parts they used for the radiator/clutch fan/thermostat housing/waterpump don't age well, and while there's a lot of annoying things that can go wrong with these old E36's, the cooling system is the only thing that really has the potential to strand you somewhere.
    Thanks for the heads up. She said there is a coolant leak and she has to add coolant every 6 weeks. Also, the lower coolant sensor needs to be replaced - has the part though. I'm pretty sure I can handle it diy, though. What's your opinion?

My Cars
    From what I know about the car, even if you paid someone to take care of the coolant situation you're still getting a good deal.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325I
    if it's not a total rustbucket then it sounds like a good deal. to fix the cooling system issues on my 93s, i went with a bimmerworld kit. comes with just about everything needed except sensors. survived 8 yrs and almost 100k no issues.
    2 Brilliant Red 1993 BMW 325i Sedans. identical except interior color
    1 1982 320i in cypress green.

My Cars
    '94 318ic, '00 323it
    Quote Originally Posted by MSCHMITZ View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. She said there is a coolant leak and she has to add coolant every 6 weeks. Also, the lower coolant sensor needs to be replaced - has the part though. I'm pretty sure I can handle it diy, though. What's your opinion?

Ask if the engine ever overheated. If the engine never overheated, it is worth a trip to take a look. It sounds like a pinhole leak or a bad seal somewhere. See if you can identify any hoses with white crusting on it (that would be leaking dried coolant). Check the hoses under the intake manifold, block to heater core in addition to the usual front cooling components. It could be an easy fix.

$1K is a reasonable deal for a car in need of a cooling system overhaul.
    Alpine 318ic FTMFW!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Yeah, your going to have to do a compression check because the head may be warped/cracked. You can't take their word for it if they have to add coolant and whether or not it actually overheated it, they may not understand how easy it is overheat the engine.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    '94 325i, '93 325is
    Also I am not sure what month the switch made but some '93 cars with cold weather package have heated seats and an LSD and no traction control throttle body. I have a 3/93 and that is how mine is. My other one a 2/94 also had heated seats but had the traction control throttle body and open differential. Maybe you could find the cutoff by browsing on realoem.com
    '94 325i Sedan, Arctic Gray: UUC LTW FW, EVO 3 and DSSR, +.020 Maxsil pistons, ASC delete, Eibach shocks/springs, 16" contour reps 238k
    '93 325is Coupe, Schwarz, work beater 299k
    '89 325i Vert, Alpine White: 5spd swapped. Sold
    '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD, In progress swapping to M50/G250, http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index...nna-25i-build/
    '05 Volvo V70 R, 6mt, mostly stock, kid hauler 200k Sold
    '85 Toyota LandCruiser: Lifted, gas hog. 205k

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    Thanks guys, those are all valid points... I will take a look at it probably next week as the seller is away for work. But, I really want a manual so I'm thinking I might pass even if the price is good.

My Cars
    E36 and e90
    I would stay away from slushboxes- these cars are meant for a manual. Just my opinion