Thread: Recommended oil type for 2000 BMW 323ci with 183k+ miles?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323Ci

Recommended oil type for 2000 BMW 323ci with 183k+ miles?

USA, if this matters. Also, please pardon my ignorance. I may be misunderstanding some things, as this is all new to me, but losing oil does not seem like a good thing.

I've been using 0w-40 Mobil 1 oil, but have noticed I've been losing oil, which I'm assuming is due to the high mileage, although I don't know nearly enough to be confident in my assumption. I noticed oil missing last month and I filled it with more oil, and this past week there's missing oil again. I drive about 1600 miles a month with it, if that matters at all. I haven't noticed any symptoms of oil burning, so I don't know if or think this could be the case. I figured I'd try a different and thicker oil before trying to change my PCV valve or other parts.

What's a recommended oil for a car with this high of mileage that meets the required specs?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Try this(European Formula only):https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...HcQ4DJAQ6SQIXQ
    as Mobil 1 has been known to display the symptoms you describe.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330Ci
    BMW LL-01 spec. I personally run Liqui-Moly 5W-40 Leichtlauf Full Synthetic.

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseSpectacles View Post
    USA, if this matters. Also, please pardon my ignorance. I may be misunderstanding some things, as this is all new to me, but losing oil does not seem like a good thing.

I've been using 0w-40 Mobil 1 oil, but have noticed I've been losing oil, which I'm assuming is due to the high mileage, although I don't know nearly enough to be confident in my assumption. I noticed oil missing last month and I filled it with more oil, and this past week there's missing oil again. I drive about 1600 miles a month with it, if that matters at all. I haven't noticed any symptoms of oil burning, so I don't know if or think this could be the case. I figured I'd try a different and thicker oil before trying to change my PCV valve or other parts.

What's a recommended oil for a car with this high of mileage that meets the required specs?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Book says 5w-30 Full Synthetic. I just used Pennzoil Full Synthetic Higher Mileage on my 2000 323i with 151K because Autozone had the 5qts and Oil Filter for like $32 sale. Went to Walmart which is .5 miles from Autozone and just bought 2 more Qts (for a full 7Qts.) for ALOT CHEAPER than single Qts at Autozone. My mechanic told me to use 10w-30 for the summer because it is thicker and protects better in hot weather.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    A 0W-40 rating is a higher viscosity level than 10W-30,
    your mechanic is wrong!
    Book value is irrelevant here,
    we are attempting to lessen oil consumption!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Buy Shell Rotella T6 oil. Many folks over at the E46Fanatics forum swear by this stuff.

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Always gotta be someone like you on EVERY forum. My mechanic is NOT wrong. Obviously 0-40W has a higher Viscosity than 10w-30. It really depends on where you live and what kind of temps you are encountering. I live in the Northeast so 5W-30 works fine for me. 5w30 oil is designed to operate at ambient temperatures as low as -22 degrees Fahrenheit, making it a great choice if you live in cold climates such as the Northeastern United States or Canada. 5w30 is ALSO a great choice if you live in warm climates that reach up to 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
    In general, 5w30 is a great multi-grade oil designed to meet the demands of almost any temperature in both warm and cold climates. 10w30, however, has a smaller temperature window. It will perform best at temperatures above 0 degrees Fahrenheit and below 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Like is said before, it all depends where you live.

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Ummmm.. I THINK that oil is for Diesel Engines

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Yes, but as previously noted,
    some use it and swear it's the best,
    most probably due to its excellent viscosity and detergent properties.

I have had good results with the Castrol I previously recommended above,
    oil preferences are as varied as the type of woman a man prefers-different strokes for different folks!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    It is! But folks over at E46Fanatics have had great luck with it. Oil burning in the M54B30 engine is greatly reduced with this oil.