Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C control knob fix?

My Cars
    Z3

A/C control knob fix?

Need a little help. I found the thread talking about moving the link a little so the control box opens up for heat bc mine is only blowing cold air. So I took glove box off etc pushed the lever forward heat works. The kicker is I don’t see anything attached to the cold/hot selector switch? Guessing a metal wire should be attached to it not sure couldn’t find any good pictures of what it should look like. The air direction sw works had to push the red lever back into the clear and green one so it would turn. Hope this makes since lol. Going to attach pictures of what I have.IMG_9742.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    This is one of the typical things that break on these cars. There is a white plastic arm that rides in the groove behind the temp know. The little nub that rides in the groove breaks.

The fix is to replace the whole unit, or fit a ball link (RC plane part).

This thread has the details:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=318432

My Cars
    Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    This is one of the typical things that break on these cars. There is a white plastic arm that rides in the groove behind the temp know. The little nub that rides in the groove breaks.

The fix is to replace the whole unit, or fit a ball link (RC plane part).

This thread has the details:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=318432
    Ok I see the picture now make sense thanks. But I just tried getting the red white and green lever off and can’t seem to pull them loose. Didn’t want to break the. So I didn’t force it. Is there an easier way or something I’m doing wrong thanks again

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I did this job a few months ago. I seem to remember that the arms on the back just pulled out. I worked through the radio hole to get the white arm loose and then put the ball stud on the white arm outside of the car.

This pelican parts DIY has some good pictures, but again I didn't follow all of those steps (did everything though the radio opening).

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm

My Cars
    Z3
    ! Finally got it works without me breaking something

My Cars
    Z3

Any idea what this is? Heard it fall out from somewhere

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Winyah View Post
    ... Any idea what this is? Heard it fall out from somewhere...
    A spring detent, mentioned here:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=56
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    Z3
    Ok just read that post but don’t fully understand where it need to go back in at....

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    The link in #7 says:
    "... the spring detent thing for the cold/hot knob was falling out of the holder... the detent ball thing for the selector switch is gone/fell out... the little click stops for the selector switch are gone."
    I think maybe the detent might not be in the knob but in the climate control base plate.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 06-17-2018 at 10:15 PM.

My Cars
    Z3
    Oh well Couldn’t figure out where it when so I put it all back together seemed to work fine without it. Turned it full cold and hot both work good. Couldn’t get the ball link because everywhere was closed for Father’s Day. So I ended up using a small screw just hope it holds up! All put back together except for the glove box ordered me a kit to fix the sagging box while I had it out. Appreciate all the help guys! I haven’t had the car a week and this forum has been the most helpful thing. Bought the car thought the heat was out and was going to have to spend all kind of money and now it’s fix with nothing but time spent!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Winyah View Post
    Oh well Couldn’t figure out where it when so I put it all back together seemed to work fine without it....
    The left knob, which controls where the air goes, is the only one that feels like it has a spring ball detent clicking at each position. I would say that the detent fits in the base plate, between the plate and the white spiral disk that operates the pink arm.
    attachment.php
    I don't see the detent in RealOEM so I think it may be a part of the expensive base plate assembly and worth saving. The screw in place of the ball, and the missing detent, are like a wound to the car that only you know about and can fix easily when you have the time. The next owner will be clueless.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 06-18-2018 at 10:30 AM.

My Cars
    Z3
    The screw I put in works just fine just as good as the ball. The spring detent is that it in the top right of the pictures looks like something sliver sticking out?

My Cars
    Z3

Finally found a picture of where it goes!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    What a great find. It's the only info I have ever seen on the detent.

My Cars
    Z3
    Little update finally got it back in without dropping it!

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    I have a problem with the cable inside the green clip holder (see pic). I just replaced the cable inside the green clip. Now both ends of the cable are firmly held in place so they can regulate the controls on back side of the HVAC unit. However, the cable will not turn the arm that allows the controls to properly work. (see pic) Does this make sense to you guys? Why doesn't it work? Although my detent is missing I don't think this is relevant to my issue. Can anyone help me?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MORRIE; 06-23-2018 at 11:30 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by MORRIE View Post
    I have a problem with the cable inside the green clip holder (see pic). I just replaced the cable inside the green clip. Now both ends of the cable are firmly held in place so they can regulate the controls on back side of the HVAC unit. However, the cable will not turn the arm that allows the controls to properly work. (see pic)... Why doesn't it work ...
    A Bowden cable moves in a sheath that must be terminated in a ferrule at each end. The ferrules attach the sheath to the vehicle, allowing the cable inside to push and pull on its far end. The third photo shows a common ferrule on the end of a sheath. The colored plastic blocks in the first photo also act as ferrules. The sheath has pulled out of the cracked green ferrule, so that cable cannot transmit force to its other end. The green ferrule can't hold the sheath because the ferrule is cracked. You could try repairing the ferrule -- work some glue in the crack, put glue around the end of the sheath, put the sheath into the ferrule, and clamp the ferrule around the sheath as the glue dried. I don't know what kind of glue will bond the plastic sheath and ferrule. You probably need to get a new green plastic ferrule. I don't know whether it's separate part, or comes with the cable, or comes with the control panel.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 06-24-2018 at 11:35 AM.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Vintage, new cable has been installed and the green ferrule is stationary as well as the connection at the other end of the cable. The cable will only move back & forth inside the black sheath by hand. I don't know what knob on the HVAC unit controls the cable with green ferrule, but it ain't moving unless by hand. Why not?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    I have never been into the console, but it looks like the left knob controls the green lever whose cable goes through the green ferrule to the green arm on the heater box which moves a flap or door inside the box. Your set up looks alright. Does it take a lot of finger force to move the new cable back and forth in its sheath? Maybe the flap is binding inside the box; unhook that end of the cable and see if the green arm on the box is hard to move.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 06-25-2018 at 06:26 AM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Hi, I'm not sure what specific function the green arm controls, but the temp control knob and the vent control knob have an effect on all three cables. That's why all of the arms are hooked together.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    When I turn the control knobs (a/c & heater knob) and the (selector switch knob)....the cable connected to the green control lever does NOT slide back & forth to move any of the levers. Something is not right.
    Last edited by MORRIE; 06-25-2018 at 02:34 PM.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    The levers are NOT hard to move at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    I have never been into the console, but it looks like the left knob controls the green lever whose cable goes through the green ferrule to the green arm on the heater box which moves a flap or door inside the box. Your set up looks alright. Does it take a lot of finger force to move the new cable back and forth in its sheath? Maybe the flap is binding inside the box; unhook that end of the cable and see if the green arm on the box is hard to move.
    The levers are not difficult to move.

My Cars
    Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by MORRIE View Post
    The levers are NOT hard to move at all.

- - - Updated - - -

The levers are not difficult to move.
    sounds like you are having the same problem I did. The like plastic piece that rides in the shell same on the back of the switch broke off and without that the cable will not move. You will have to take that piece off and fix it with a rc place ball link and screw it in.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Sorry for my lack of understanding but looking at my pics or yours can you point out exactly what I should be looking at and what to do to fix this issue?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Are you referring to the detent? I know mine is missing. But doesn't that just allow the selector knob to click at each selection? Am I missing something here?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MORRIE; 06-26-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast