Thread: Windshield washer hose routing... someone do me a favor?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL

Windshield washer hose routing... someone do me a favor?

So during my brake job, I took a 5 hour detour to try and fix my leaking windshield washer reservoir. Turns out it wasn't leaking (no idea why it was empty, I blame aliens) but that the hose feeding the washers stops right at the fender. There is a hose with a fitting that is right next to the fill hole, but it doesn't go anywhere after that. Isn't connected to anything. It also seems someone cut the piece that is in the hood flush with the hood. I can remove my cabin air filter and see the hoses, and one does go into the rubber "grommet" thingie, but it doesn't poke through at all. I tried to push it through and it just cracked and crumbled. I can find the piece with the grommet and the hoses to the washers themselves online, but for the life of me I can't find any good pictures of the routing from that fitting I have by the fill tube to the grommet. I know it has to route along the hood strut, but I'm wanting so see how exactly so I don't do something that might be a bad idea.

So if anyone is under their hood in the next few days, can you snap some pics of that routing around the strut? The hose in the hood is $90, so I think I'm going to rig something up to replace that, but just need a good idea of how BWM decided to keep things from getting kinked/caught when closing/opening the hood.

Thanks to anyone who can help!
    2001 740iL "Silver Beauty"
    1986 Porsche 951 "Silver Bullet"
    1987 Porsche 944 NA Auto (rebuilding for my son's first car)
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Don’t have a picture but here’s all your washer parts. I used 1/4 in. Plastic hose from osh to repair my lines. Hard part was finding the push pins that hold the grill on the hood. Good luck

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_0162

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundaycruzer View Post
    Don’t have a picture but here’s all your washer parts. I used 1/4 in. Plastic hose from osh to repair my lines. Hard part was finding the push pins that hold the grill on the hood. Good luck

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_0162
    Someone had already been in there and mine are all replaced with Phillips head screws. I guess I'm going to take it all apart and just figure something out. Thanks for the link!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by 951Dreams View Post
    Someone had already been in there and mine are all replaced with Phillips head screws. I guess I'm going to take it all apart and just figure something out. Thanks for the link!

I used plastic water line from hardware store and some vacuum line to splice from old to new, at the hing use vacuum line for flexibility...done

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    I got it sorted, and I have windshield washers finally!!!!! WOOT!!! You don't realize how much you need them till you don't have them! Took about $8 of hoses (didn't use them all, but decided I would rather be safe than sorry) and 20 mins. I'm pretty sure I have a good setup figured out with the strut. So score there!

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Sweet good job

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by 951Dreams View Post
    So during my brake job, I took a 5 hour detour to try and fix my leaking windshield washer reservoir. Turns out it wasn't leaking (no idea why it was empty, I blame aliens) but that There is a hose with a fitting that is right next to the fill hole, but it doesn't go anywhere after that. Isn't connected to anything. It also seems someone cut the piece that is in the hood flush with the hood. I can remove my cabin air filter and see the hoses, and one does go into the rubber "grommet" thingie, but it doesn't poke through at all. I tried to push it through and it just cracked and crumbled. I can find the piece with the grommet and the hoses to the washers themselves online, but for the life of me . I know it has to route along the hood strut, but I'm wanting so see how exactly so I don't do something that might be a bad idea.

So if anyone is under their hood in the next few days, can you snap some pics of that routing around the strut? The hose in the hood is $90, so I think I'm going to rig something up to replace that, but just need a good idea of how BWM decided to keep things from getting kinked/caught when closing/opening the hood.

Thanks to anyone who can help!
    As you have had success in doing this, I was hoping maybe you could share the answer you came up with regarding pictures of that routing around the strut? (the hose feeding the washers stops right at the fender.) (I can't find any good pictures of the routing from that fitting I have by the fill tube to the grommet). Thanks.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Scholder View Post
    As you have had success in doing this, I was hoping maybe you could share the answer you came up with regarding pictures of that routing around the strut? (the hose feeding the washers stops right at the fender.) (I can't find any good pictures of the routing from that fitting I have by the fill tube to the grommet). Thanks.
    I'll have you some tonight. I was going to post some up, cause I couldn't find any, so I thought I'd be the one to get them out there. But forgot all about it. Check back in a few hours.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Here is what I did