Thread: Dash pixels back lighting has gone out...

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL

Dash pixels back lighting has gone out...

So the left side of my main readout went dark. I hadn't thought about it, but I now realize those are back lit. For example when I have it set to display MPG the numbers I can read just fine, but the CONS1 is almost too dark to read. I'm guessing I just need to replace a bulb? I had thought these were LED, so I'm surprised it burned out. Any danger of messing up my non-dead pixel displays if I replace it? How much if a pain in the a$$ is it?

Thanks, figures it burns out just when I was pulling it in for my brake job. Fix one thing.......
    2001 740iL "Silver Beauty"
    1986 Porsche 951 "Silver Bullet"
    1987 Porsche 944 NA Auto (rebuilding for my son's first car)
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    They are LED but come in their own little socket and are replaceable. I had my cluster out to install gauge rings and one of mine on the bottom display mysteriously went out. Moved it to another position and it didn't light up there either. I bought like an extra 3 or something on ECS while getting other parts. If I recall, they are polarity sensitive, in other words if it doesn't work one way, rotate 180* and reinsert.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    There's 5 of them (12v 1.5w bulbs). If one is done...you may want to do all 5 since your'e back there replacing the one. See #2 in the diagram below...and if you click the link to the part database...you can get the 11 digit BMW part number which will make it easy to shop for them...just type BMW xx xx x xxx xxx into an internet search engine and you should get lots of hits of vendors that sell them (or you can drop by your local BMW dealerhship's parts dept and order them if they don't have any in stock):

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    There's 5 of them (12v 1.5w bulbs). If one is done...you may want to do all 5 since your'e back there replacing the one. See #2 in the diagram below...and if you click the link to the part database...you can get the 11 digit BMW part number which will make it easy to shop for them...just type BMW xx xx x xxx xxx into an internet search engine and you should get lots of hits of vendors that sell them (or you can drop by your local BMW dealerhship's parts dept and order them if they don't have any in stock):

Q, that link, and my searches, all show regular incadecant bulbs. But I swear my manual says the bulbs in the dash are supposed to be LED.

I can of course get LED'S, I've done it in my Porsche's. I'm just confused by the info I've seen I guess.

C70 above seems to have found LED'S too... Wonder if his was swapped before his ownership?

Anyone done a LED swap and can report a good bulb they used?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    Okay, I just checked my ECS order and the few spare bulbs I have left and was wrong... there are likely LED ones for the gauges themselves but maybe the trip, odometer, oil and info screen are likely the 5 incandescent. The ones I ordered ended up being 1.2 watts not 1.5 and honestly can't tell the difference. Better to just get the correct ones though.
    due to the stupid link being redirected to another site, copy the link and put the www in front.
    ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/instrument-cluster-bulb-priced-each/62131383311/
    Last edited by PiotrC70; 06-17-2018 at 09:09 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Thanks for the link, I'll likely do a LED swap. I don't like messing with dash lights. Just have to find good ones. I'll research it here in a bit.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    personally, I would leave it alone. Having swapped LED's in my Nissan 300ZX which unlike the BMW cluster use only incandescent throughout, LED's do not emit a globe of light but are more focused in nature. This will likely induce hot spots on the cluster areas with poor light distribution everywhere else. Some LED's also don't dim very well and have a cutoff point at which they'll just be off.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by PiotrC70 View Post
    personally, I would leave it alone. Having swapped LED's in my Nissan 300ZX which unlike the BMW cluster use only incandescent throughout, LED's do not emit a globe of light but are more focused in nature. This will likely induce hot spots on the cluster areas with poor light distribution everywhere else. Some LED's also don't dim very well and have a cutoff point at which they'll just be off.
    I do agree, but they are getting better. A few years ago it was much worse. I've swapped out all my lights on my 951. I had to go through many lights for some of the locations to find one that worked right. I still have some in the dash that are too bright really. Porsche used a reflected setup to light the gauges, it's not back lit. The front is lit up instead. The LEDs do great on this, but they don't make a great connection since they don't sit in the holders perfectly. AND 30 year old connections don't help.

I'm going to have to pull that dash again, and I think hot glue them in the holders. All last I'll only have to do it once in my lifetime, lol.

I've still got to figure out ours. I tried replacing my license plate light with LED, bought one that claimed to be sensed by computers. It wasn't sensed by the E38 system. Just went normal and it was fine.

I will say for interior lights I go with warm LED's, I tried the bright white ones and don't like them. To harsh.