Thread: Power Steering Hoses Replacement E38 2001 740i

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

Power Steering Hoses Replacement E38 2001 740i

Referencing Plik's thread, 7-5-2007, and attached pictures. I can't locate the hose 4 19mm opposite end. Hose 1 and 3 to Reservoir, no problem. Hose 2 also goes to Hose 4 location. Picture in Pilk's thread does not label the (2) hose connection points. PS hoses underneath the car separate from the PS pump can't find location on E38 2001 740i. Plik's '98 740i looks like a different configuration; any info on my E38 would be helpful. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    89'750iL,98'740iL,00'M5
    Both years should be the same. What hose are you trying to find exactly? The one from the Power Steering pump to the steering box? Not sure what you mean by the numbers.

Check here and let me know which one you are looking for
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_0694

It's layed out like this... Hose from Resevoir > Pump > Steering Rack > Oil Cooler > Back up to Resevoir.
    Last edited by SergeBMW; 06-15-2018 at 09:59 PM.

BMW 7er Website www.7er.com
    1989 BMW 735i Schwarz (sadly, sold) // 1989 BMW 750iL Cirrusblau Metallic // 1998 BMW 740iL Oxfordgrün Metallic // 2000 M5 Carbon Schwarz ///

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Serge: Thanks for the reply. #1 to #2 Reservoir, one end; and to PS pump #4 and #3 O.K. #21 to #22 Reservoir one end; to #16 Cooler other end. O.k.
    #8 to #17 Cooler, one end O.K. #8 to #9 and #10 other end (Gear Box) Can't locate where Gear Box/Steering Box is underneath car. Could it be covered by a shield?
    #5 to #6 and #7 (PS Pump) O.K. #5 to Gearbox (Problem)

It's locating the Gearbox underneath the car is the major problem as dumb as it seems. I've been under there with a light and it's probably right in front of me, but I don't recognize it or its being hidden somehow. I tried to follow the cooler to gearbox line but could not see it enough to trace it. I've looked at numerous pictures online, but they don't show the location of the gearbox in relation to other areas underneath the car. A easy problem after seeing it I'm sure. If you could help lead me to where the Gearbox is I could probably do the rest.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Scholder View Post
    Serge: Thanks for the reply. #1 to #2 Reservoir, one end; and to PS pump #4 and #3 O.K. #21 to #22 Reservoir one end; to #16 Cooler other end. O.k.
    #8 to #17 Cooler, one end O.K. #8 to #9 and #10 other end (Gear Box) Can't locate where Gear Box/Steering Box is underneath car. Could it be covered by a shield?

It's locating the Gearbox underneath the car is the major problem as dumb as it seems. I've been under there with a light and it's probably right in front of me, but I don't recognize it or its being hidden somehow. I tried to follow the cooler to gearbox line but could not see it enough to trace it. I've looked at numerous pictures online, but they don't show the location of the gearbox in relation to other areas underneath the car. A easy problem after seeing it I'm sure. If you could help lead me to where the Gearbox is I could probably do the rest.
    I have used this kit, no issues since: https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-P...8pwrstrkit.htm

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Thanks George: I could really use your help in locating the Gearbox.....any ideas? Going fishing in the Cocoa Beach surf where I hope to have better luck.
    Last edited by Jerry Scholder; 06-16-2018 at 11:53 AM.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    It's behind the engine, look like this. You would greatly benefit getting the Bentley guide for the car: https://www.amazon.com/BMW-E38-Servi...ds=bentley+e38

tranny.PNG

My Cars
    89'750iL,98'740iL,00'M5

You will have access to both the Pump to Steering Box connection and the Steering Box to Cooler banjo connections from the top of the car, drivers side engine bank, below the valve cover near the firewall. You will see a hose wrapped in a round heatshield like material, it just goes around the hose. Move that hose towards the wheel well (towards you) and you will see the Pump to Steering Box connection. That hose that you moved is that exact hose. This is #5 in question. The banjo just below and to the right of that on the steering box goes to the oil cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    It's behind the engine, look like this. You would greatly benefit getting the Bentley guide for the car: https://www.amazon.com/BMW-E38-Servi...ds=bentley+e38

tranny.PNG
    I really think he meant steering gearbox lol

1989 BMW 735i Schwarz (sadly, sold) // 1989 BMW 750iL Cirrusblau Metallic // 1998 BMW 740iL Oxfordgrün Metallic // 2000 M5 Carbon Schwarz ///

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Thanks for the well written instructions. I will take a look and give it a try. Too bad you don't live next door; I could be you biggest pain in the ... LOL Plik referred to it as "steering box". Don't get the joke re: I really think he meant steering gearbox lol. Thanks a lot for taking the time to get back to me on this.

My Cars
    89'750iL,98'740iL,00'M5
    No worries mate, I wish I knew other E32 or E38 owners in person that lived nearby, id love to wrench with any of them. That being said, if you ever come down around South florida, we should meet up and talk BMWs. I do have BMW DIS and INPA as well if you need a checkup on the systems. Let us know how it goes with the steering hose.

When I said "I really think he meant steering gearbox lol" I meant that he was showing you the transmission, and you were talking about the steering box.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Great News Serge; looked at my other 2001 740i which is not disassembled and your instructions made perfect sense once I could see a clean engine not torn apart. I knew I was going to feel stupid once I found the darn thing. Oh well... Dude....you're only 2 hours South of me from Cocoa Beach, if you're still in Boca Raton. We should definitely meet up some time.

I've gotta take some pictures of the 740 I'm working on so people will understand how I could have missed this easy find of the steering gear box. I'll follow up with how all turned out.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

PS Follow Up

Great News Serge; looked at my other 2001 740i which is not disassembled and your instructions made perfect sense once I could see a clean engine not torn apart. I knew I was going to feel stupid once I found the darn thing. Oh well... Dude....you're only 2 hours South of me from Cocoa Beach, if you're still in Boca Raton. We should definitely meet up some time. I've gotta take some pictures of the 740 I'm working on so people will understand how I could have missed this easy find of the steering gear box. I'll follow up with how all turned out.
    O.K. so it took me awhile to find the PS Gear box but look at the original picture with the Valve Cover Gasket off and covered with towels. Now that I found it, would someone like to be kind enough to tell me how I can get a 19mm socket in there? Really...even with a wobbler or whatever there isn't room....I would like to be proven wrong but...Help would really be appreciated, and I'm usually a faster learner. This one was embarrassing. Would taking the alternator housing off make things easier?

IMG_20180618_125226995_HDR.jpgPower Steering Box.jpg

My Cars
    540i/6, 740i, m3, alfas
    I replaced the 4 power steering hoses last winter on my 740i. Jack up the front, remove the driver side wheel and wheel well liner. Flat wrenches have decent access here.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

PS 19mm bolt on Steering Box

Let me help you with your itch; while attempting to change all Power Steering Hoses I ran into a 19mm bolt running alongside the lower valve cover, almost under it on the Steering Gearbox. This connects to the cooler behind the radiator. I can't get to it from underneath the car and I need a very short stubby 19mm socket on a 1/4 inch drive ideally to even have a chance. Cant fit a ratchet wrench in there. Can maybe fit an extension to it from behind it, but still have the small area above the bolt to fit anything over the head. I've seen other 740 i's but none with a bolt so hard to access. Even with flat wrenches, (see tite-reach) I still have to put a socket on and fit over the head of the bolt. I tried one 19mm wrench but once on the head had no room to turn the wrench to loosen. If someone has a picture of doing this I would sure love to see it. Here's my picture again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SergeBMW View Post
    No worries mate, I wish I knew other E32 or E38 owners in person that lived nearby, id love to wrench with any of them. That being said, if you ever come down around South florida, we should meet up and talk BMWs. I do have BMW DIS and INPA as well if you need a checkup on the systems. Let us know how it goes with the steering hose.

When I said "I really think he meant steering gearbox lol" I meant that he was showing you the transmission, and you were talking about the steering box.
    Serge: Any idea how I can access the 19mm bolt against the lower drivers side valve cover frame? Sure is tight in there.

- - - Updated - - -

tranny.PNG
    George: Are you still out there for advice on 19 mm PS Gear box bolt removal?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    Different George, but I got the one one the left in your picture off with a 12pt 19mm box end wrench. It only has to be turned a tiny bit, and then you can unscrew it with your fingers. I only did two of my hoses, I ordered the other two but they didn't arrive before a trip I had planned, so I have to go back and do the other two sometime soon.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Let me help you with your itch; while attempting to change all Power Steering Hoses I ran into a 19mm bolt running alongside the lower valve cover, almost under it on the Steering Gearbox. This connects to the cooler behind the radiator. I can't get to it from underneath the car and I need a very short stubby 19mm socket on a 1/4 inch drive ideally to even have a chance. Cant fit a ratchet wrench in there. Can maybe fit an extension to it from behind it, but still have the small area above the bolt to fit anything over the head. I've seen other 740 i's but none with a bolt so hard to access. Even with flat wrenches, (see tite-reach) I still have to put a socket on and fit over the head of the bolt. I tried one 19mm wrench but once on the head had no room to turn the wrench to loosen. If someone has a picture of doing this I would sure love to see it. Here's my picture again.

- - - Updated - - -

Serge: Any idea how I can access the 19mm bolt against the lower drivers side valve cover frame? Sure is tight in there.

- - - Updated - - -

George: Are you still out there for advice on 19 mm PS Gear box bolt removal?
    My apology pointing you to the transmission Didnt look what the thread was about and just saw a question about gearbox, lol. PS job: this was one of the few things I didnt do myself, had to fix it to pass inspection when I bought the car and had the mechanic do it, sorry. How is your Jesus bolt coming off?

My Cars
    89'750iL,98'740iL,00'M5
    Jerry, the 19mm banjo closest to the head can be removed with a 19mm socket, regular size nothing special, and a universal or wobbly head. Wobbly head may be best as a universal tends to snag on itself at certain angles. I used the universal plug a long 12" extension with a 6" extension, routed it as close as I could to the wheel well/fender area and was able to undo it from there. I have also seen someone place the 19mm on the banjo first, then place the ratched head on top, with the handle end pointed to the front of the car, parallel to the engines head. This will get you to loosen it.

I do still live in Boca Raton, we should meet up one of these days, maybe when it is cooler weather haha. Its a hot 93F today here in South Florida!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Hope you see my earlier post to you re: Jesus bolt. Just in case: GREAT NEWS! I'm back at the Timing Chain Guide Repair having recently taken off the "Jesus" bolt. It was all in the tools and the M62 setup. While using the German Auto Solutions tool kit and instructions, I am at the Bank 2 Exhaust Cam Sprocket loosening the torx bolt. The blocks are already in over the square boss on the camshaft for both banks. If I support the camshaft with a 27mm or large adjustable wrench, is it O.K. to have the blocks in already? The darn torx bolt on the exhaust bank 5-8 is really tight. What should I expect from the camshaft when putting a lot of pressure on this torx bolt, even while supporting the camshaft with the wrench? Will it try to move down with the direction of the bolt? (left hand thread/righty loosey).

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Serge: A regular 19mm socket won't fit over the head of the 19mm bolt. The bolt is practically under the head of the engine. I will send more pictures with a socket next to the bolt. Never used a wobbly head and not familiar with its use. Routing an 18" extension close to the wheel well/fender area has me confused; are we still talking about the PS hoses off the gearbox? Can you refer me to any images? Thanks.

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Serge: A regular 19mm socket won't fit over the head of the 19mm bolt. The bolt is practically under the head of the engine. I will send more pictures with a socket next to the bolt. Never used a wobbly head and not familiar with its use. Routing an 18" extension close to the wheel well/fender area has me confused; are we still talking about the PS hoses off the gearbox? Can you refer me to any images? Thanks.
    Jerry,
    While I have not had to replace the PS hoses on my e38 personally, I just had to see what all the fuss was about regarding this bolt. I can confirm a standard 19mm socket will fit the banjo bolt nearest the head (see attached photos). I used a 19mm standard socket, a 3/8" drive wobble and a 3/8" drive 6 inch long extension in the photos and it dropped right on to the head of the banjo bolt from above. You need to squeeze the socket between the hose w/ the heatwrap and the head, but other than that, it slips right on. I do prefer a locking extension in situations like this, so I don't accidentally drop the socket into the abyss upon extraction. Hopefully the photos help you out on the orientation and "angle of attack"

1998 BMW E38 740il - Vermont Grün Metallic, 150k miles, all stock. 11/98 build.
    2011 Range Rover Supercharged - Rimini Red, Jet/Jet Interior.
    2018 Mercedes GLE 350 - Diamond White, Soccer Mom kid-hauler.
    1970 Chevy Chevelle - Pro-touring, 496ci BBC, custom everything.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Great Pictures Bill. Thanks so much. I keep seeing replies involving the banjo bolt. Is there not another bolt below and to the left that runs along the head that needs to be removed as well? That is the bolt that is giving me so much trouble due to its location along the side of the head. Am I mistaken that the bolt you have in the picture is the only bolt needed to be removed? I thought there were 4 hoses total to change and two were on the oil coolant---one to the PS reservoir and one to the PS Gearbox. The other two off the PS pump---one to the PS reservoir, the other to the Steering Gear box. I know where the Banjo Bolt is (fairly accessible) isn't the other one down to the left of it? Again, pictures really helped a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

I have used this kit, no issues since: https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-P...8pwrstrkit.htm
    Nice Kit; unfortunately I don't need the reservoir (about $27). I priced it out by the piece and it still came out to $210 without the Reservoir. Anything not provided in the kit you can think of? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny; I actually wrote you a note about the pictures being weird and unable to see anything from them. I blamed the Bentley Guide and wrote that's why I never got one. I looked at reviews of the Bentley Guide and nearly everyone had qualifications noted when praising it.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Hope you see my earlier post to you re: Jesus bolt. Just in case: GREAT NEWS! I'm back at the Timing Chain Guide Repair having recently taken off the "Jesus" bolt. It was all in the tools and the M62 setup. While using the German Auto Solutions tool kit and instructions, I am at the Bank 2 Exhaust Cam Sprocket loosening the torx bolt. The blocks are already in over the square boss on the camshaft for both banks. If I support the camshaft with a 27mm or large adjustable wrench, is it O.K. to have the blocks in already? The darn torx bolt on the exhaust bank 5-8 is really tight. What should I expect from the camshaft when putting a lot of pressure on this torx bolt, even while supporting the camshaft with the wrench? Will it try to move down with the direction of the bolt? (left hand thread/righty loosey).
    That supposed to be tight, when you will be putting it together you will need to torque it for over 100Nm (110 & 125 if I recall correctly). Just to make sure you know: those are reverse threads. It will again come down to tools, you need a 1/2 Torx bit and a 2-3 feet breaker bar. Maybe possible to do it with 3/8 bit as well but 1/2 is much easier. Also, you need a torque wrench capable of doing 125Nm reverse threaded (!) for putting it back later like this one, typically only 1/2 inch ones can do that so you will end up needing that torx bit anyway later.
    I always put the banks on when loosening it but the opposing force should be on your 27mm wrench not the banks.
    Also, get some good thread locker before start putting anything back, Loctite 242 or equivalent will work. Read a few posts where didnt use threadlockers and torx bolts came loose later, despite using proper torque. I use threadlocker for any bolt I'm putting back in.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by georgebest; 06-24-2018 at 04:18 PM.

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Jerry,
    In your post #11 & #13, you share this pictures. Is the bolt ive highlighted not the bolt you keep referencing as being impossible to remove? The bolt highlighted in RED is the same bolt I show in my previous post regarding how to get tool access. If this is indeed the case, and you still cannot access it from above as I have shown, perhaps you have a destroyed motor mount that has completely collapsed. That is the only way I can imagine you would have less clearance between the bolt and engine cylinder head.

Last edited by BillConn; 06-25-2018 at 02:26 PM.

1998 BMW E38 740il - Vermont Grün Metallic, 150k miles, all stock. 11/98 build.
    2011 Range Rover Supercharged - Rimini Red, Jet/Jet Interior.
    2018 Mercedes GLE 350 - Diamond White, Soccer Mom kid-hauler.
    1970 Chevy Chevelle - Pro-touring, 496ci BBC, custom everything.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

Problem Solved

End of thread for OP.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

Additional PS Information/E38 2001 740i

While replacing hoses with connections to PS Gear Box I had to again raise the engine to simplify the access to connecting the 2 hose bolts. I also had to loosen the bolt above and to the left of the drivers side top engine mount bolt to enable proper routing of the 22mm connection to the Gear Box from Cooling connection. Confusing but will follow-up with pictures. This bolt which required loosening had top and underneath nuts to be held and in a tight area. I will leave the reservoir connections until PS pump is put back on.