Thread: question about intake manifold removal - spilled fuel

My Cars
    E36

question about intake manifold removal - spilled fuel

I want to do some R&R under my intake manifold on a 1995 E36. I haven't removed one before but understand fuel spills out when you pull the manifold off and disconnect the fuel lines. How much fuel comes out, and does it only spill from the top of the manifold or also below the throttle body? I'd of course pull the fuel pump fuse and depressurize the system first.

I live in a high rise and am wondering if I can get away with doing it after midnight in the bottom of the parking garage where this type of work is prohibited. Gas smell will probably bring the rent-a-cops

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Very little(1-4 oz). Iirc there is trick where you pull the fuse and start the car to take the fuel pressure and some fuel out of the rail to minimize it.

My Cars
    E36
    So how much smell will there be? Does it sit mostly on top of the engine or does it drip immediately to the floor?

My Cars
    1994 325is
    It depends on how deftly you pull the rail. You can usually get a container under it, but if it is your first time you might spill some out of the rail and into the engine bay. I might smell, but you could say your car wouldn't start and flooded or something and you are checking it out

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by drstuess; 06-15-2018 at 08:25 PM.

My Cars
    E36
    Smart, ok I'm going to give it a shot then!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm

"Typically 18..."

The above article has the reference to fuse pulling I mentioned previously.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Gasoline is very volatile, not so much the liquid,
    but the fumes emitted by it.
    Make SURE that garage is ventilated!

Due to your inexperience,
    I Suggest a small bundle of shop rags,
    along with a strategically positioned tray of kitty-litter placed below engine.

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    I would be more nervous about the renta-cops tripping out and towing your car. You need to acquire a better place to work on it. E36s need maintenance, so you either eat the cost of a shop or a storage unit.

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    I was thinking: to prevent virtually any fuel spilling, you could first relieve fuel pressure, by removing fuse 18 (fuel pump fuse), then starting up the car until it dies. Then start it again, and it will die again quickly. Now all the pressure is off.

Next, put a gasoline-resistant can below the fuel filter and remove the fuel hose (in between the filter and the fuel pipe going to the intake manifold/fuel rail) from the fuel filter and let the fuel spill into the can.
    Now you can remove the injectors/fuel rail with virtually no fuel spilled..

Youtube video on replacing the fuel filter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6bEgyFbQqo
    Best to also replace the two small fuel hoses next to the fuel filter, and perhaps also replace the fuel filter while you're at it.

Good luck!

P.S. Perhaps there are do-it-yourself garages in the area that you can rent for low prices? Best not to do this type of work on the public street.
    Last edited by ed323i; 06-18-2018 at 06:18 AM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i
    (European) 275k km (171k miles), with following small mods:

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by tr64 View Post
    I want to do some R&R under my intake manifold on a 1995 E36. I haven't removed one before but understand fuel spills out when you pull the manifold off and disconnect the fuel lines. How much fuel comes out, and does it only spill from the top of the manifold or also below the throttle body? I'd of course pull the fuel pump fuse and depressurize the system first.

I live in a high rise and am wondering if I can get away with doing it after midnight in the bottom of the parking garage where this type of work is prohibited. Gas smell will probably bring the rent-a-cops
    What are you trying to diagnose?

My Cars
    86 528e
    remove 2 bolts that hold fuel rail to intake manifold. remove power to injectors. remove injectors from intake manifold.

now you can remove the intake manifold and not have to disconnect fuel lines from fuel rail.

My Cars
    E36
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

@chuckdizzle

I'm just addressing a stored knock sensor code with a couple of new sensors and new gaskets for the intake manifold. I know there are some other breather hoses that may need to be replaced while I'm at it, but I haven't found clear part numbers or the specific hoses that need to be replaced yet. Can anyone advise on the names or what I should search for?

Quote Originally Posted by JEC928 View Post
    I would be more nervous about the renta-cops tripping out and towing your car. You need to acquire a better place to work on it. E36s need maintenance, so you either eat the cost of a shop or a storage unit.
    I did find a DIY garage, so I will probably do it there. Not being able to work on the car in my own garage certainly increases ownership cost and makes it less fun

Quote Originally Posted by DubNub View Post
    remove 2 bolts that hold fuel rail to intake manifold. remove power to injectors. remove injectors from intake manifold.

now you can remove the intake manifold and not have to disconnect fuel lines from fuel rail.
    I will give this a shot first! That would make it easier if I don't have to completely remove it.

My Cars
    '94 325i, '93 325is
    Use realoem.com to find part numbers. The e36 is under classic now.
    '94 325i Sedan, Arctic Gray: UUC LTW FW, EVO 3 and DSSR, +.020 Maxsil pistons, ASC delete, Eibach shocks/springs, 16" contour reps 238k
    '93 325is Coupe, Schwarz, work beater 299k
    '89 325i Vert, Alpine White: 5spd swapped. Sold
    '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD, In progress swapping to M50/G250, http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index...nna-25i-build/
    '05 Volvo V70 R, 6mt, mostly stock, kid hauler 200k Sold
    '85 Toyota LandCruiser: Lifted, gas hog. 205k

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    Just had mine off to replace the IM gasket. I just put a rag under the connection as I separated it (after depressurizing, as you mentioned), that was enough to soak up any that came out..I really don't think any made it to the floor, and it wasn't stinking the next day.