RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Remaining issues

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi, e46, m54

Remaining issues

I appreciate all the help I get from you guys. With your help I've managed to fix most of the issues I was having. Almost have a new car now with all the new parts lol.. but I do have a couple remaining issues to figure out..

Ticking/chirping... I haven't ruled out the pulleys and tensioners, but the chirping noise sounds like it's coming from the area around the middle of the intake manifold. Any ideas?

The ticking I'm sure is lifters... Both the ticking and chirping get faster and louder when I press the gas. If I'm only idling, then it's silent. If I rev it up slowly and easily, it is still quite. However if I'm idling and I rev it faster then you can hear it. If it is under load then it makes the noise as long as I'm pressing the gas and the speed of the ticking goes along with the rpms. If I'm just kind of coasting it is silent. None of the lifters got mixed up when reinstalling them. It didn't do this at first, just after 100 miles or so with 5w20 oil I think

I had used a cheap oil for the first 100 or so miles because I just wanted to use it to clean the gunk out of the engine after the hg repair. I now have 7 quarts of castrol titanium 0w40... I thought the tapping was because of the wrong weight of oil but even after I put the castrol in, it is still making that noise

Getting codes for a misfire on cylinders 3 and 6... And also for camshaft inlet sensor. I'll replace the sensor soon.

Have a coolant leak too.. it's running out the back of the engine area. The plastic cover underneath is not installed right now so i am pretty sure it's coming from the rear. It is not the hoses to the heater core, so I'm guessing it's the coolant pipe? That's the only coolant line I can think of that has a connection that far back. Waiting for it to cool down then gonna pull the intake off and see what I find.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi, e46, m54
    Noticed one of the pulleys is kind of crooked. Guessing that's my chirping noise. Took the intake manifold off and don't see where anything I'd leaking... I replaced the coolant pipes, as well as the hoses that go to them so no sure why they would be leaking so bad. Gonna buy a pressure tester and see what happens

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Good job on replacing the plastic (why, BMW, did you install plastic pipes) pipes and stuff.
    The chirping noise in the intake could be a bad DISA. Once the engine is back together remove the DISA’s electrical connector to see if the chirping goes away.

The lifter tapping could be caused any number if things. How well was the car maintained, specifically oil and filter change intervals? How is the car driven? By that I mean, is the engine lugged, not allowed to rev? The M54 engine, like almost all BMW engines, loves to rev. In fact, driving the car so that the engine is running in the 3000 to 4000rpm range is good for the engine.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi, e46, m54
    I don't know anything about the previous owners care for the car. When I got it, it had been overheated twice and had the blown head gasket. Since that repair I drive it kind of hard, but honestly iv spent more time replacing parts than driving lol. The tapping only came about in the last week or so.

I'm curious what makes the disa chirp. It goes in pretty tight so it's getting a good seal. I tested it by moving the flap and plugging the bottom hole with my finger and the valve stays open. Honestly not even sure what the disa does lol

If it is in fact the disa, I see there are repair kits. Would replacing some pieces of my current disa work, or should I just skip the hassle and replace the whole thing. Difference of about $100
    Last edited by Shawnk111; 06-16-2018 at 09:26 AM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The DISA changes the length of the intake manifold passages, This gives a longer runner, for low rpm, which gives better torque at low rpms; and then switches to a shorter manifold runner length for higher rpms, for more power at higher rpm.

Now, that said, I'm not sure, in this thread at least, that I see where the DISA is bad....maybe that's in your other thread?

You can't find intake leaks visually, 75% of the time. That's why I own a smoke machine, and why my shop owns another smoke machine.

Start by replacing the pulley that's not straight. While the belt is off, spin and wiggle every pulley.

Get a smoke test of the intake system.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471