Thread: So I've got this Idea

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328i

Lightbulb So I've got this Idea

I've been wanting to code my BMW for a while now so I went ahead and bought a OBD2 to ENET cable to code my F30 with ISTA. As I was buying it I realized my main laptop that I would be using does not have a ethernet port so I had to buy a dongle as well to connect it to my computer. That is when it hit me. I could buy a tablet with a usb-c port (Which is what the dongle I bought uses) and install windows on the tablet to run ISTA. With this setup and having a tablet in the car you could potentially see all diagnostics and run other programs to use it as a gauge cluster. The only problem I am having is that I do not know if any of this would work. I know windows can be installed onto a tablet, but I have no clue if ISTA would actually work on a tablet or even let me install drivers to use the ENET cable. Has anyone tried this before or seen someone else do this?

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    Get a used Surface Pro. A little more than a tablet, but it's a full Windows machine.
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

My Cars
    Bmw 435
    @ luxom3
    I read you bout a 435i m sport and it had kind of high mileage
    I’m going to test drive a 2015 435 m sport this week with 88,000 miles the car is 15k
    What do you think should I purchase how had your car treated you with issues honestly I’m nervous about getting it but this is my fav car but I don’t want to make a mistake

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Landris View Post
    @ luxom3
    I read you bout a 435i m sport and it had kind of high mileage
    I’m going to test drive a 2015 435 m sport this week with 88,000 miles the car is 15k
    What do you think should I purchase how had your car treated you with issues honestly I’m nervous about getting it but this is my fav car but I don’t want to make a mistake
    Well my 2015 435i has 65k miles. I bought it with 49k miles.
    The car has been pretty trouble-free. The only thing I've had to do for it so far is replace a $49 coolant line, but that was preventative maintenance.
    My navigation antenna was going out, but the fix was $15. And my adaptive cruise control sensor needs to be realigned. But these last two items didn't leave me stranded.

88k miles is fairly high though. With the coronavirus car market, ALL used cars are going for pretty cheap. For $15k, you might be able to just wait and find lower.
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos