Thread: Need input. I have a cracked xhaust manifold and down pipe is broken off at the

My Cars
    1989 325is

Need input. I have a cracked xhaust manifold and down pipe is broken off at the

bellows. Sounds horrible. In short, my cheapest easiest fix appears to be an ebay header. This is a weekend driver, 325is, M20, AT. Im not looking for performance per se but want to get rid of the half/ass repair I did with muffler tape.

Is this a decent route to go? Ive never liked the stock set up when it comes to removing the manifolds so I hope this would be easier.

the long header I can get for <$150 seems more simple than repair at a muffler shop.

All the threads I've found ask the question with respect to performance gains, thats not my concern.

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    I would not go with "eBay headers". I would look for a replacement Stock M20 header and mid section from eBay. - It will be the quickest and cheapest fix. It will bolt up to existing sections of the exhaust - you wont have to fab anything.

You have to remove the manifolds in either instance (aftermarket eBay or M20 stock) - I'm not understanding what you mean by easier..

After market header wont give you much increase (without doing loads of work on the engine). The main constraint isn't exhaust flow - its the head.

My Cars
    1989 325is
    By easier I mean that its been a pain to reinstall the manifolds because I have had to drop the exhaust to do so. It seems like im fighting it when trying to install manifolds over the head studs while keeping it loosely attached to the downpipe. Because a long header connects to the exhaust under the chassis, it seems it would be easier to remove/reattach in the future.

Ill look for midsection online, I didnt realize they would be available. Those bellows seems to be a weak point. The manifold I can pull at a yard.

Thanks for the input.

My Cars
    99 M3

Need input. I have a cracked xhaust manifold and down pipe is broken off at the

Quote Originally Posted by 95BMWIC View Post
    I would not go with "eBay headers". I would look for a replacement Stock M20 header and mid section from eBay. - It will be the quickest and cheapest fix. It will bolt up to existing sections of the exhaust - you wont have to fab anything.

You have to remove the manifolds in either instance (aftermarket eBay or M20 stock) - I'm not understanding what you mean by easier..

After market header wont give you much increase (without doing loads of work on the engine). The main constraint isn't exhaust flow - its the head.
    +1 ^
    If I had an E30 and was in need of a header this is where I’d go.
    http://advancedautofab.com/p/aaf-m20-race-header/

Developed around a stock head for a Spec E30 Class race car.
    Very street-able sound, for a race exhaust. Deep and mellow.

Available as just a header also.
    In dyno testing our header was able to make 5-10WHP and almost 15ft-lbs Torque over other header types. We sell this as a complete system with 2-1/2″ from the header back. We tested 3″ exhaust with no gains other than weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 06-15-2018 at 03:36 PM.