Thread: New X3 Owner and a few questions, reservoir tank and bushings and initial thoughts.

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3

Cool New X3 Owner and a few questions, reservoir tank and bushings and initial thoughts.

I recently bought a 2007 X3, my previous vehicle was a 1997 E36 vert and it is quite a change in how it feels since I am higher off the ground, but that is to be expected.

Reservoir tank question
    I had issues with the coolant reservoir tank (about 4 times in a ten year span) and this may have contributed to a blown head gasket. The plastic tanks have a short lifespan I found, about 3 years tops (NAPA's was the worst at just over one year). Hence last summer I upgraded to a Mishimoto aluminum reservoir tank (after the plastic getting a leak about after about a year). While I did not find one for an X3 by Mishimoto, are there other after-market manufacturers?

What is the expected lifespan of the ones in the X3, would it be a good plan to replace every 3 years?, which manufacturers are recommended (I am steering away from NAPA).

Control Arm and Bushing
    I need to replace the right front control arm bushing (lower rear, I was told by Goodyear, they missed the play in it on the initial alignment, so not going back to them, nor recommend for alignments).
    In my readings so far, I found that there is a recommended 4 year replacement on the bushing and to replace the control arms every 8 years (which seems excessive but hence why I am here ).
    Would it be good to replace the thrust arm and bushings, or wait till they fail (being proactive is good but can be priecy. I just graduated from college so money is a bit tight right now.

It seems that the control arm bushings, at least stock from BMW wear out fast and have seen some posts about polyurethane bushings being a better upgrade due to longevity but a bit stiffer and was thinking about getting some from Turner Motor Sports. Another possibility is the Meyle HD control arm and bushing set ( $100 to $110), a bit pricier than the standard ones I've seen on eBay (as low as 40 dollars but one tends to get what they pay for).

After watching a video on YouTube, it seems that it is not a difficult replacement and a far better price than the 750 dollars quoted to me by Goodyear.

The BMW Business CD Radio seems a bit underwhelming (this may be a future upgrade, though an Iphone and Bluetooth adapter seems to do the trick for now).
    From what I have read, it may appear best to use the sunroof minimally.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and tips or tricks to further improve my brand new used X3 would be awesome. Mine came with some fancy floor mats that appear to be a leather or leather like material that wrap up the sides so that was awesome.
    Smile Make My Day

All that writing and maybe I missed it, but what motor, trans and packages are on the vehicle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3
    M54 engine, automatic (though have the option for quasi- manual which seems to help acceleration and that slight hesitation at lower rpm), wanted manual but seem to be rare and not sure what package it came with.
    Last edited by Andret; 06-14-2018 at 06:54 PM.
    Smile Make My Day

My Cars
    2001 525it
    the front thrust rod bushings are the normal wear item. They last say 80-90k, just use oem bushings. The plastic coolant tank will eventually crack or leak, use only factory parts on this and replace the mounting plate and plastic fittings with the expansion tank replacement and the upper radiator hose.

My Cars
    '13 328i / '95 325i Vert
    When buying parts the best advice I can give is to punch in your VIN number on REAL OEM - http://www.realoem.com/
    Then you can cut n paste the part numbers into sites like FCP Euro or ECS Tuning, Lately I tend to lean to FCP as they
    offer lifetime warranty on all their parts and tend to be very fast at shipping and taking back returns.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/

https://www.ecstuning.com/

This way your searching for parts based on your vin number which leaves little room for error.
    13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
    95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
    92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
    08 E90 328i Sport [sold]
    89 E30 325is [sold & missed]

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Suggestion for your coolant reservoir issues...keep your coolant level at the minimum level. This allows for extra air in the reservoir which will absorb the expansion as the engine heats and cools. If you keep your coolant level at the max, it stresses the system because there is less air in the reservoir to absorb the expansion. As a bonus, this puts less stress on the heater core, radiator, and hoses as well.
    Current Garage:
    91 e34 M5 - spoiled & demanding 27 y/o -glanzshwarz
    91 850i/6 -another spoiled & demanding 27 y/o- schwarz-gone but never forgotten
    06 325i - undeserving, spoiled & demanding 27 y/o daughter's DD-hellrot
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther
    05 X3 3.0i -family workhorse - diamond schwarz
    12 X5 3.5d - torque monster - space gray metallic
    86 GMC Cabellero - Old Faithful 32 y/o DD BMW Support Vehicle
    08 Cub Cadet 19HP 46" hydrostatic- yard vehicle
    88 Schwinn Sierra - 1WD Off Road Vehicle
    e31 & OHC BMW CCA #385540

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3
    Thanks for the tips and tricks and links.

I was thinking pelican parts or Turner Motorsports for new bushings, but may get them done at a shop.
    Smile Make My Day