Thread: Best option for new wiring route from trunk thru convertible top well

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8

Best option for new wiring route from trunk thru convertible top well

I am considering running a microphone wire from the trunk through the convertible top well section of the Roadster.

Background, I have a 99’ Z3 Roadster 2.8 build date 12/98 with a Grom Bluetooth adapter that connects through the former 6 -disk CD changer connection in the trunk. It works great for music.

I want to make sure it is possible to drill through the convertible top recess into the trunk without puncturing the Gas tank. Can I drill just below the sealing frame horizontally? On RealOEM it appears there is a small void that I could then feed through the lager holes hidden behind the vertical carpeting in the trunk.

Any thoughts or better options on this or is this a no go?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    There are two solutions that are less drastic. I've been down the same road and done it both ways. By far the best solution is to mount the Grom behind the radio rather than in the trunk--both wire harnesses are available from Grom Audio. If you must have it mounted in the trunk, there is already a wiring pass through grommet just ahead of where the CD harness is found through which a large bundle of wiring already passes--just remove all the trim in the trunk and the oddments box and the carpeting under the top in the top well, and you'll see it and a clear path for running the mic--you can easily fish the mic lead through the grommet.

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    There is an opening on the driver side of the trunk directly behind the seat, where wires pass from the cabin into the trunk. This is the opening I used when I connected my ipod to the CD changer.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Thanks guys! I know what I’ll be doing on Saturday now.

Much appreciated.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    If you remove the trunk liner and the Sub woofer enclosure you'll notice that the metal is corrugated leading from the sub well into the trunk. If your wire is small enough you can pass it though. That's how I ran my sub wire (monster cable) from the new amp. I guess it depends on how far forward you need it
    Last edited by z3forlife; 06-15-2018 at 10:27 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Like I said, the best solution is to relocate the Grom, but you will need a new cable. If you're going the other route, you might find this thread useful.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    So I finished the microphone installation this AM.

I ended up running the mic through the power /Amp grommet on the right side of the trunk, then under the carpet in the Top well recess. To simply the install, and without removing the oddments compartment, I slid the wiring in joints where there is a rubber gasket and pushed it past the gasket to be unseen. From there I slid it under the edges of the plastic on the oddments box close to the subwoofer. There are enough joints on the oddments box to allow it to be completely unseen. Finally I removed the Leather-Z armrest and ran the wiring under that to conceal it and terminated the mic by the e-brake.

Per the wifey with the top down at 65mph the conversation with the mic by the e-brake was pretty clear.

As always this forum is a great source of assistance!