Thread: choosing a motorcycle model advice

My Cars
    BMW 7series

Question choosing a motorcycle model advice

Hi, anyone has recommendations for a nice cruiser motorcycle? I just love BMW and currently driving X6, but also was thinking of getting a bike for nice sunny days

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    First question - how much motorcycle riding experience do you have, and how recent is it?

Also, how tall are you? Some bikes are hard for a smaller rider to balance at a stoplight, while others will put various annoying objects directly lined up with the knees of a taller rider.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

My Cars
    BMW 7series
    Hi Matt!

About three years in total but I haven't gotten on bike this past year at all. I am 6"1.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cramer View Post
    First question - how much motorcycle riding experience do you have, and how recent is it?

Also, how tall are you? Some bikes are hard for a smaller rider to balance at a stoplight, while others will put various annoying objects directly lined up with the knees of a taller rider.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I have had many bikes but the one I have injoyed the best though it's old is my r1100gs. What I like about it is it has a lot ground clearance and suspension travel, so when I need to bend it into a corner I have a little more room. The seating position is prefect. My wrists are to old to be leaning on. I do like the clyinders sticking out and after having to lay it down because of a deer encounter, my leg just slid out from the bike. I don't have crash bars so I holed the valve cover. Also the abs brakes I love, you can go hard charging in to corners and just slam the brakes on and tip it over. Plus slamming on the brakes in the rain the bike stops in a straight line, I have 80k on it. Couple things I don't like about cruisers, lack of ground clearance and suspension travel, can't go around corners on your favorite road to hard if you don't have clearance. Plus I don't like the wheel base length my gs is about 58", cruisers could be in the 62-64" wheel base. The longer the wheel base, the more work on the twisty roads. Sport bikes wheel base could be 53-56" for comparison. There have been many smaller sport bikes, that look great. But really its what you like, for my needs the gs, adventure style bike works great.
    Last edited by jclausen; 06-17-2018 at 10:45 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 7series
    thank you so much for taking your time and sharing your experience! I really love to hear different opinions and feedback. I am still leaning towards a cruiser bike...I was doing some research by accident found this sketch of R7 prototype and it looks like a recent one. I wonder if they are bringing it back to life...I would love to get something like that...

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    I have had many bikes but the one I have injoyed the best though it's old is my r1100gs. What I like about it is it has a lot ground clearance and suspension travel, so when I need to bend it into a corner I have a little more room. The seating position is prefect. My wrists are to old to be leaning on. I do like the clyinders sticking out and after having to lay it down because of a deer encounter, my leg just slid out from the bike. I don't have crash bars so I holed the valve cover. Also the abs brakes I love, you can go hard charging in to corners and just slam the brakes on and tip it over. Plus slamming on the brakes in the rain the bike stops in a straight line, I have 80k on it. Couple things I don't like about cruisers, lack of ground clearance and suspension travel, can't go around corners on your favorite road to hard if you don't have clearance. Plus I don't like the wheel base length my gs is about 58", cruisers could be in the 62-64" wheel base. The longer the wheel base, the more work on the twisty roads. Sport bikes wheel base could be 53-56" for comparison. There have been many smaller sport bikes, that look great. But really its what you like, for my needs the gs, adventure style bike works great.