Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replaced alot of parts still no start! HELP

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Oday0111 View Post
    I've replaced almost everything related to starting the car

Fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator. Fuel filter. Valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, dme, cps, relays fuses, hoses, clamps yada yada

Still no start

Wires are to be suspected

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Have you used a scanner of any sort?

My Cars
    2001 740i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    You need to stop throwing parts at the problem. You must diagnose what the problem is in order to fix it.

I reread from the beginning, and it seemed that you were sure you weren't getting fuel. But then you smell fuel out the exhaust. Those don't add up. Second, you're sure you have spark, but I see no diagnosis of how you know that.

A lot of times, these cars will not start due to no spark because of EWS sync issues or other start-check-items not checking out to let the car start.

Keep in mind that if you've tried to start multiple times with no spark, you've likely soaked the cylinders and plugs with fuel and will have a bear of a time starting it even if you got everything working.

Remember start big-picture, then work down to smaller things as you narrow the scope. So, what is the primary problem: no fuel, no spark, or no compression?
    That's why I'm confused. I smell fuel for sure but my test light and my ears cant see or here the injectors. I've tested the injectors in the past to see if they worked when given power and they sure do. They spray and everything on a bench. Zero codes stored tested and scanned on the 20pin obd connector.
    I know I'm getting spark because while my dad was cranking it I had my hands on the coils while watching the plugs to pyshicly see the spark. Sure enough it shocked me and in reaction I dropped the coil and plugged and they started sparking off metal! Yes a dumb idea but we want to make sure for sure they was spark. Also engine spudders up and dies fast with starting fluid. So I know it's not getting fuel in the cylinder itself! At least that's what I think. I have fuel pressure at the rail and everything just lines up into place but for some reason it doesn't start.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Ok, have you pulled a plug or plugs after you try to start to see if they are soaked in fuel? Does the engine have compression? Did it ever run since you've owned it?

Also, you say no codes, but what kind of reader are you using and can it communicate with the car?
    Last edited by racer2086; 06-26-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2001 740i M-Sport
    Ok, have you pulled a plug or plugs after you try to start to see if they are soaked in fuel? Does the engine have compression? Did it ever run since you've owned it?

Also, you say no codes, but what kind of reader are you using and can it communicate with the car?
    I pulled the plugs and they where dry but the tips of them turned green. But that was before I replaced the CPS. When I changed the CPS is when I started smelling fuel coming out the tailpipe more. I have a pretty simple code reader it's a maxiscan MS309 obd2/EOBD. It has a obd2 tip but I plugged a 20 pin adapter onto it and placed it into the hood and still no codes. I've almost removed the whole engine harness and I'm going to clean it up and investigate everything on it.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    My guess is that you would see some more info getting it scanned with the BMW software. Either that or realize the modules are not responding.

If you have a leakdown tester or compression tester, may be worth trying that just to be sure you have compression.
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    11/98 E39 535i V8 M62TU
    What brand of CPS did you use?

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    ^another good question. OEM only for those

My Cars
    2001 740i M-Sport
    ^another good question. OEM only for those
    OEM but I know that vacuum lines are broken or missing on the intake idk if this would cause it not to start. Regardless after I finish cleaning the entire engine bay, I'm going to take it to a car shop specialized in German brands and hopefully they can find it. My buddy had a first gen rebrand MINI cooper s and he took it to this shop when his was having electrical issue. He had an issue where there was a wire that was always drawing power making the battery die. Which stinks when you try to go grocery shopping but cant get home because your car killed itself. He had to replace that whole segment of wire

So maybe this situation is similar to that. I would try and keep looking for the issue but it's getting to complicated at this point. I rather have someone tell me what's actually wrong with it before I keep buying more and more parts.

If I keep doing that I'll be driving a 2018 e38 740il lmao after all that parts I'll be putting into it just trying to find such a pinpoint issue

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Just FYI generic ODB2 readers will just give you the generic emissions related codes. They can be useful, but you have at least 12-20 other modules that could be trying to tell you something. Without a BMW specific reader, or INPA, you can't read those codes. There is a lot you can see with generic readers, but not near everything on these.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    2001 740iL "Silver Beauty"
    1986 Porsche 951 "Silver Bullet"
    1987 Porsche 944 NA Auto (rebuilding for my son's first car)
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Oday0111 View Post
    OEM but I know that vacuum lines are broken or missing on the intake idk if this would cause it not to start. Regardless after I finish cleaning the entire engine bay, I'm going to take it to a car shop specialized in German brands and hopefully they can find it. My buddy had a first gen rebrand MINI cooper s and he took it to this shop when his was having electrical issue. He had an issue where there was a wire that was always drawing power making the battery die. Which stinks when you try to go grocery shopping but cant get home because your car killed itself. He had to replace that whole segment of wire

So maybe this situation is similar to that. I would try and keep looking for the issue but it's getting to complicated at this point. I rather have someone tell me what's actually wrong with it before I keep buying more and more parts.

If I keep doing that I'll be driving a 2018 e38 740il lmao after all that parts I'll be putting into it just trying to find such a pinpoint issue

Definitely want to fix the vacuum leaks. I don't know what year your car is, but some of those vacuum lines on the back of the intake run to the fuel pressure regulator, so that may be kinda important...

My Cars
    2001 740i M-Sport
    Definitely want to fix the vacuum leaks. I don't know what year your car is, but some of those vacuum lines on the back of the intake run to the fuel pressure regulator, so that may be kinda important...
    Good call I'll get those fixed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123