Thread: Getting out of Valet mode?

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci

Getting out of Valet mode?

Hi all,

I just became the proud owner of an '01 325 convertible (5-speed) today and I believe it's in "valet" mode. The trunk release button by the hood release lever doesn't work, the trunk key hole is in the horizontal position, the button above the rear license plate does nothing... I can open the trunk only by turning the master key to the right. I cannot turn it to the left.

Also, my glove box cannot be opened unless I insert master key and turn to ...left I think. No matter where else I turn the key in the glove box door lock, I cannot open the glove box by the handle/release lever - only with key.

Sorry if I am missing something simple. Reading my manual and posts on the web. Oh, and I've tried using the buttons on the key - no luck. I can lock/unlock car, but, the trunk key won't do anything.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jay
    '01 325Ci Convertible, 5-speed
    '01 740iL, Stahlblau with beige interior & 18" M-Pars, GROM bluetooth
    '03 X5 3.0 six cyl, Gray on gray

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Isn't valet mode enabled and disabled with the glove box lock on a vert? I know that the glove box has an electrical lock actuator and a different lock/latch mechanism than hardtop models. It is also more prone to problems. Most of the e46 glove box problems I have seen were verts. Confirm valet mode is supposed to be enabled and disabled with the glove box lock (owners manual) and take apart the glove box lock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by randy72877 View Post
    Isn't valet mode enabled and disabled with the glove box lock on a vert? I know that the glove box has an electrical lock actuator and a different lock/latch mechanism than hardtop models. It is also more prone to problems. Most of the e46 glove box problems I have seen were verts. Confirm valet mode is supposed to be enabled and disabled with the glove box lock (owners manual) and take apart the glove box lock.

Thanks Randy. Just went back through the manual and ...can't confirm the glovebox door/lock as the controlling element. However, if that's the case - I do believe that's where the problem lies since I cannot open the glove box simply by actuating the handle. I can only open it by inserting key (master only I believe) and ...turning left.

I'll keep searching the forum and web, but, if anyone can see the blind path I'm heading down, please feel free to point me in the proper direction. Thank you!!!

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by jpilk99 View Post
    ...since I cannot open the glove box simply by actuating the handle. I can only open it by inserting key...
    Lock at the back of the lock. The two screws holding it in place are notorious for coming loose. Once tightened, the Glove Box should open and close normally. If it does not lock when you use the button on the key, one of the wires to the electronic locking mechanism may be broken, as was on mine. I had my Glove Box out for the FSR replacement and found a broken wire. Soldered it and it's been working fine ever since.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
    Lock at the back of the lock. The two screws holding it in place are notorious for coming loose. Once tightened, the Glove Box should open and close normally. If it does not lock when you use the button on the key, one of the wires to the electronic locking mechanism may be broken, as was on mine. I had my Glove Box out for the FSR replacement and found a broken wire. Soldered it and it's been working fine ever since.
    I wonder if my glovebox door handle is ruined. It looks okay, in and out. But, when I pull to open, it budges about a half inch, and then nothing more. Wont open. Only way to open, quite easily I might add, is by inserting the mast key and turning.

I took apart the handle and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. Screws were easy to come out so I tightened em' up good and solid upon putting back, but, still no luck.

Thoughts?

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Do you hear the glove box lock actuator working when you lock/unlock the car with the remote key?

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    I do not.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Crazy how many posts I'm reading about the complications with the valet mode, the glove box latch, the interconnection of wiring etc. to the trunk...

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Looks like the glove box lock should be vertical to allow the trunk to work from the interior button and the trunk lid switch pad. Also a remote key should open the trunk even in valet mode. You are supposed to lock the glove box with the master/main key and give the valet people the valet key. I would check the wiring in the glove box door where it flexes when the door opens. If you have a functional remote it should open the trunk even if the car is locked and/or in valet mode. If it doesn't, check the trunk lid wires inside the rubber boot where they flex. Also the convertible top will block the trunk from working when the top is not fully open or closed.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Looks like the glove box lock should be vertical to allow the trunk to work from the interior button and the trunk lid switch pad. Also a remote key should open the trunk even in valet mode. You are supposed to lock the glove box with the master/main key and give the valet people the valet key. I would check the wiring in the glove box door where it flexes when the door opens. If you have a functional remote it should open the trunk even if the car is locked and/or in valet mode. If it doesn't, check the trunk lid wires inside the rubber boot where they flex. Also the convertible top will block the trunk from working when the top is not fully open or closed.

Thank you Randy. I'll go checking wiring. Odd though that there are physical impediments not allowing me to get the trunk out of it's "horizontal" key position and I'm pretty sure the same is true with the glove box (will confirm). I have 2 master/main keys where the lock and un-lock buttons work but not the trunk. (I thought I had read that ...if I'm having the problem I seem to be having, stuck in valet mode ---- IN A CONVERTIBLE ----- that ALL the trunk 'buttons' the one by the drivers footwell, the one at the back license plate, and the one on my key(s) will not work. And, if I recall correctly, it all stems from, most likely, the glovebox). Will start inspecting wires today!!! Thank you.

Jay

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    The trunk should open with the remote control even in valet mode. Does the top work properly? Open and close fully with no flashing lights on the top switch? If the car thinks the top is not fully open or closed it will disable the trunk actuator. Could be broken wire to the trunk lid also.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    The trunk should open with the remote control even in valet mode. Does the top work properly? Open and close fully with no flashing lights on the top switch? If the car thinks the top is not fully open or closed it will disable the trunk actuator. Could be broken wire to the trunk lid also.

Thanks Randy. Top works properly, as far as I know. No flashing light. I'll start looking for broken wires

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    I finally started digging into the wiring harnesses. Can’t easily find the glovebox harness, ( I assume back left? ). But got into the trunk harness and found that 7 of the approx 14 wires have all been spliced; assumedly from a previous attempt to repair. My question is, since there’s not a ton of room to work around the hinge etc, does anyone have a complete trunk wiring harness for a convert who’s wires are unadulterated? Or is there a way to “easily” get at the beginning & end of the harness to test continuity before I got re-splicing everything?

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325 ci
    Hi Jay!!!
    I have same problem with the trunk and glove box...
    Did you fixed yours?
    If yes ,say me how.
    Thanks
    Serg.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    You remove the harness out of the trunk lid to work with it now it is hanging in the trunk area it's self from there the wires are cut and you add a length of new wire sliightly longer for slack, solder and heat shrink feed it back in to the trunk lid