Thread: New Guy Intro 94 540i 6-Speed: Burning Oil and Bad Idle

My Cars
    1995 540i 6-Speed

New Guy Intro 94 540i 6-Speed: Burning Oil and Bad Idle

Hey Guys,

Long story but bare with me..... So I took ownership of a 94 540i 6-Speed a few weeks ago. I paid 2500 for it. Salvage title (still not sure what happened, I will follow up on this later) and a motor that is in rough shape. When I saw it I had to pull the trigger. I searched for about 6 months for one of these babies and couldn't resist the price, even with the obvious problems. I will post some pics when I get a chance to snap a few.

It has white paint with some black CSL 19s. The interior is decent 6/10. Exterior 6/10 is not bad, no rust as it's spent its life in Cali. A few digs in the door from these crazy California folks out here. Don't get me started on the LA traffic......The motor is hurt, burning oil, rough idle, low oil pressure. The story I got from the seller is that it started shortly after he had it, but looking at the motor it looks like some dumbasses had it and flogged it when it had low oil pressure. But over all the car looked pretty to me and the price was right, i think someone who actually cared about it had it for awhile then had to sell it and it was passed along like an orphan through some dingle berries. Don't worry she is in good hands now...

I have been in transition for a new job and just moved to LA from Raleigh, NC. Route 66 the whole way in a uHaul with enough chew and redbull to kill a small village, made it in 3 days (14/16/16 hr days). I wasn't in a particularly good spot to be buying the car, to say the least (just moved to LA, no garage, no permanent housing and a new job that is demanding as hell). I saw the CL add on a Friday and flew up to Sacramento the next day, no really, with a pocket full of cash and a backpack full of tools. I still had hope that I could swap a coil and get her going, HA! The damned TSA took my 1/2 ratchet and some of my wrenches which pissed me off but it is clearly written in the guidance, NOTHING OVER 7" on a carry on. So I uber'd to the guys house and bought the damn thing. Now I had a broke as 540i and no way of moving it. I told him I would meet up the next day to figure out how I would get it home. Well my hotel that I ended up staying at was next to a Toyota dealership. So the next morning I busted out a chunk of my relocation cash and threw down on a Tacoma, that is another saga, don't go to ROLESVILLE TOYOTA, bastards got me good. I then rented a uHaul car hauler, after having to lie to the desk guy about the truck I was driving, I guess the Tacoma is not big enough per uHaul standards...... She did just fine. I then towed the car back into the mass of humanity known as LA and parked it in the parking garage at the temporary apartment and that's where it sat while I could only look at it and day dream hammering through the gears. I finally found a permanent place with a garage. I figured out that LA people look at you funny when you say your housing criteria is a garage and only a garage. FINALLY got the car to its new resting place and now I can start to think about making it run.....PHHHHEEEWWWW! If you can't tell I am not much of a planner but more of a figurereererr outter as I go kinda guy. In my experience plans usually don't work out, so why make them at all. Shit, just figure out the end goal and start walking down the path!

So that brings me here to write this for all of you pretentious BIMMER owners, which I hope you read and criticize. I am a proud owner of a non-running, salvage title, hunk of metal that has some serious potential and a bunk ass motor. BTW I have watched this youtube video countless times. It gives me proper goosebumps every time.

https://youtu.be/Xh8jRd8H6As

Now to the real reason I am here, to scavenge your knowledge and resources......

1) Does anyone know of any NON-SCUMBAG used motor dealers in the LA area? Proper leak down appreciated...

2) I plan on doing a leak down on the current motor just to see whats up but based on the first maintenance document I read that outlined "stripped out cam holders" and the miscellaneous bolts holding on the valve covers this motor has seen its days.

3) Pending I find a decent replacement motor, what general maintenance should I tackle while the motor is out? I know the gaskets go on these and that is defiantly in the plans. Also I will be looking at the clutch and will replace if it is needed.

Any input you guys have is much appreciated!!!! Look forward to this project and hopefully becoming part of the community! (also my first time banging the rev limiter on this sweet sounding motor)

Ryan "the man without a plan" Colvin

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Anyone care to supply the Cliff's notes for this?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    Wow, good luck man. Need to see some pics, but that sounds like an uphill battle with many thousands to spend before you get to a nice driver. However, it is doable and any technical info you need to know has been covered on this site.

That said, in my experience, the most economical route to a nice driver is to spend more upfront on one with nice paint and interior, as bringing those things back up to snuff takes a lot of money and skill. Mechanical stuff is a little cheaper and you don't need skill, just the ability to read instructions and swing a wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Anyone care to supply the Cliff's notes for this?
    Ryan Colvin just moved to LA, flew to Sacramento and paid $2,500 for a non-running salvage title 540i/6 that he had nowhere to store. Instead of spending a few hundred on shipping the car home, he bought a Toyota Tacoma from the dealer next to his hotel and got hosed, then lied to U-Haul about said Tacoma so that they would rent him a trailer.

The car is now in LA and Ryan has secured a residence with a garage so that he can begin bringing the car back to its former glory.

Godspeed

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Montalbon View Post

Ryan Colvin just moved to LA, flew to Sacramento and paid $2,500 for a non-running salvage title 540i/6 that he had nowhere to store. Instead of spending a few hundred on shipping the car home, he bought a Toyota Tacoma from the dealer next to his hotel and got hosed, then lied to U-Haul about said Tacoma so that they would rent him a trailer.

The car is now in LA and Ryan has secured a residence with a garage so that he can begin bringing the car back to its former glory.

Godspeed
    Much obliged, sir.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    If the engine seems to be decent after a compression check, the next step I'd take would be to remove intake manifold. Replace all seals, int manifold gaskets and hold down spacers. Replace the crankcase vent on the back of the intake, they are known oil suckers (as well as a bad oil separation valve behind timing guides but is not easily replaced). Then a generalized tune up, including replacing those oil fouled spark plugs.

These V8's aren't popular (Yet one of my fav engine designs) and thus still relatively cheap to purchase a running take-out and have it delivered. The last M60B40 complete take-out engine I had purchased was around $400 total including shipping. I had also purchased a very clean M62B44 shortblock as the base for my build for $250.

Welcome to Los Angeles, I lived there for a few years chasing the dream. I absolutely loved to hate being there and hated that I loved living there. I now live in Arizona but still feel that pull back to L.A.
    Last edited by Mykk; 06-13-2018 at 11:46 AM.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    I noticed you live in Arizona I was thinking of moving to New Mexico do they have similar emissions inspections because I've been enjoying New Hampshire where my car at the 95 540 doesn't require emissions testing and wondering how old are cars like this can be made to pass if I buy another one and move tonew Mexico

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    I couldn't tell you about NM, but it's usually county specific not state specific. The county I live in Arizona there aren't emissions testings or inspections for any year car, the next county to the south there is strict emissions laws and testings.
    Last edited by Mykk; 06-13-2018 at 12:27 PM.

My Cars
    1995 540i 6-Speed
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE" You guys by far have the best state mott

My Cars
    1995 540i 6-Speed
    Are the M62 motors a direct bolt in for the e34? Should I include them in the search?

I called around to some shops and found a M60B40 take out with 54k for 800 delivered to my house. I would be willing to pay that pending the compression numbers they are getting me.

I found another up in Sacramento for 900 delivered with 140k, compression in spec. Although the guys were dicks on the phone when I asked for data. Lol. He acted like it was some crazy request to ask for numbers.

Quick search on ebay, it looks like they range from 800 to 1k depending.

The next step for me is getting my leak down numbers... I am hoping to get these by the weekend. Then I can have a certain go/no-go on the replacement.

My Cars
    1995 540i 6-Speed
    I started calling around to locate leads on some complete motors.

1)http://www.bavengine.com/partsrequest_fr.html

up in Sacramento, CA. They have a M60b40 with 140k for 900.00 delivered. The guy was a dick when I asked them to provide data for the compression test. I guess it was an unreasonable request. lol. They out......

2) Local LA shop, quoted me for 800 on a M60b40 with 54k. I like this option. I requested compression numbers, he didn't flinch and took my info down.

3) I have a few leads on CL that I contacted and waiting for a response.

So it looks looks like the market is at about 800-1k (a few ebay listings are at 1k shipped). I am going to do a leak down this weekend and figure out if my current motor has any potential. I will keep you guys updated.

My Cars
    1995 540i 6-Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykk View Post
    If the engine seems to be decent after a compression check, the next step I'd take would be to remove intake manifold. Replace all seals, int manifold gaskets and hold down spacers. Replace the crankcase vent on the back of the intake, they are known oil suckers (as well as a bad oil separation valve behind timing guides but is not easily replaced). Then a generalized tune up, including replacing those oil fouled spark plugs.

These V8's aren't popular (Yet one of my fav engine designs) and thus still relatively cheap to purchase a running take-out and have it delivered. The last M60B40 complete take-out engine I had purchased was around $400 total including shipping. I had also purchased a very clean M62B44 shortblock as the base for my build for $250.

Welcome to Los Angeles, I lived there for a few years chasing the dream. I absolutely loved to hate being there and hated that I loved living there. I now live in Arizona but still feel that pull back to L.A.

Where did you source your motor? Private sale or through a local business? Currently trying to get pricing together to see what the hit will be.

My Cars
    1992 525it
    My best suggestion for your car in general would be to tool up the 405 towards Sun Valley, and get to know the bone yards there. There are, or was 20 years ago, anyway, about 4 really good self serve junkyards within about a 5 mile radius where you can find nearly everything you could ask for in the way of parts. Those junkyards are the only thing I miss about LA. CL should work great to find a motor, anything else you should have no problems finding in Sun Valley. You could snag a motor from there, cheap, if you wanted to go thru pulling one and hoping it was good. A wrecked car was at least running at the time of it's demise. And it's pretty easy to tell which cars were well maintained. Cars with automatics usually have been less thrashed, a 740i would be where I would look if seeking a V8, one owned by a Dr. or a little old lady. Good luck with your car.

My Cars
    1995 540i 6-Speed
    2018-06-13_14-16-54.pngxcastaway, good point. Quick search and there are a ton of yards up there. I will do some calling. Thanks for the tip!

My Cars
    1992 525it
    There was a u pullit with another yard attached to it, and several others that were self service. Been too long to remember what streets they were off of or their names. Most of those listed look like dismantlers, who charge premium prices. U pull it used to be an adventure. I've seen Iso Grifo and Iso Rivolta, Facel Vega, Daimlers, all sorts of odd exotica in there.

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Geez, I'm in Sacramento and I would have sold you my 540i/6 in a lot better shape and clean title with a bunch of mods for not a ton more than what you paid.

My Cars
    2003 328i
    Most of NM is no emissions, no inspections. Albuquerque requires emissions, Rio Rancho does not. Most rural areas do not.

My Cars
    1995 540i 6-Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by vlksdragon View Post
    Geez, I'm in Sacramento and I would have sold you my 540i/6 in a lot better shape and clean title with a bunch of mods for not a ton more than what you paid.
    PICS!!!! Still could be an option.

My Cars
    1995 540i 6-Speed
    Pics as promised. Haven't cracked into the motor yet. Looks like they replaced the cooling system. Cam bearing caps are junk. About every bolt I can see on the thing is rounded. I am pulling this motor. On to something with less miles and a warranty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by colvinry; 06-18-2018 at 12:39 AM.

My Cars
    93 740i, 84 533i
    First, if not answered already, an M62 is not a direct bolt up. However, you can use an M62 lower end to build an M60B44, using your existing heads. Biggest issue, though, may be that your valve guide bad causing the burning oil, so the heads would need to be rebuilt before using.

Search M60B44 and you will see that it is a fairly common build
    Black on Black 740i - 10/92 build date, 225,000 miles.
    Delphin on Cherry 533i - 4/84 build date, 136,000 miles
    Black on Black 328i - 3/96 build date, 185,000 miles - Sold
    2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS

My Cars
    1995 540i 6-Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Avec View Post
    First, if not answered already, an M62 is not a direct bolt up. However, you can use an M62 lower end to build an M60B44, using your existing heads. Biggest issue, though, may be that your valve guide bad causing the burning oil, so the heads would need to be rebuilt before using.

Search M60B44 and you will see that it is a fairly common build
    I have looked over the M60B44 builds they are interesting, but more involved than I want to be. I was a bolt in. I ended up grabbing a M60B40 w/ 56k delivered for 800. Going to pop that in and get her on the road.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk