Thread: Need Advice - Engine Failure

My Cars
    2012 BMW 528xi

Unhappy Need Advice - Engine Failure

Hey Everybody -

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I thought folks browsing this forum genre would be the most knowledgeable. Earlier this week I was driving my 528xi down the road and got am error message saying "Powertrain malfunction. Please drive carefully." (or something like that). Then, ten seconds later another error message appeared. "Oil pressure low. Stop engine as soon as possible." (or something like that). I of course immediately stopped and pulled over, had the car towed on a flatbed to my BMW-approved dealer. After a couple days I called back just to ask for a loaner, but earlier that day they had a chance to look at the car. They say that the chain that drives the oil pump broke, which stopped lubrication to the engine, which caused BAD damage to the engine. They are telling me that, based upon all the part replacing / diagnosing / labor / etc., the cheapest repair would be to swap out the entire engine for a remanuafctured one. The unofficial quote (I'm thinking they're going to give me an official quote on Monday) is $10,000. Since I bought the car used about 3 years ago, I've been religious about taking it in when it says service is due, and I believe the previous car owner did the same based on the records.

So, I ask you experts:

Is this right? Is it really cheaper to replace the entire engine, rather than pick and poke at the engine, to fix it?
    Is it really $10,000 for a remanufactured BMW engine? I wouldn't doubt it based on how nice the cars are, but I don't want to get taken for a ride!

Thanks for the help, folks!

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    I feel like you can get a good used/low mileage engine for under $5k which is your best bet since a rebuild can get expensive. You may want to go over to sub section for more specific information on this certain model/engine. I'm curious on what exact damage happened to the engine. If you shut it off right away and it didn't overheat/freeze I can't imagine it being severely damaged that fast but I guess you'll find out. Might be wise to get a second opinion also just incase.

Goodluck

My Cars
    528iT
    I hear about this more often than not with the N47 motor. That 4 cylinder has had so many issues and I've had to tell this same scenario to a few customers with F10s and F30s. Once you lose oil pressure, you risk metal to metal contact on all rotating surfaces and thats it. Done.

Everyone should avoid whatever '28i' trim any bmw comes in.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    its a common failure to happen on the n20/n26 ive replaced two n26 engines because the chain failures. mileage was roughly 70 k on the two. bmw finally released tsbs on it. SI B11 03 17.

engines can be had for cheap and r&r is pretty easy with a lift. i normally drop the entire engine/subframe/trans combo on jackstands and lift the car up and do the swap.
    Last edited by glockroulette; 06-16-2018 at 08:45 AM.