Thread: Advice for first own BMW (manual transmission)

My Cars
    Subaru

Advice for first own BMW (manual transmission)

Hello Everyone,
    I’m reaching the age and careee level where im thinking its maybe time for my first nicer car. Always had rather practical Japanese cars - and they are great and have always been good to me. Currently we own a Sienna as a family car for kids, activities, bikes and space for transporting my music gear to occasional gigs. And an old beater Subaru that is my commuter car and has been reliable and actually fun to drive given that it’s pretty bare bones and manual transmission. The all wheel drive has worked great here in the Northeast during some of the tougher winters. So I know what I’m potentially giving up.

BMW are fun and nice to drive. I’m familiar with a bunch of models since that’s what my parents have been driving for decades now.

My ideal new car doesn’t exist here in the US. I’d prefer a wagon with 6cyl and manual transmission with as little electronic gizmos as necessary. I’d prefer a used one over leasing, 2-3 years old. Newer than 2015 since I’d want Apple Car play. The wagons rare and I’m not really considering a 4cyl car a BMW. No manual transmission on those either.
    I really like having the space for an amp and a guitar or two, a bike, golf clubs, skis - that kind of stuff. But I figured maybe a regular sedan with the back seats flippable (cold weather package??) might work also.
    And there you can find 6cyl and manual - a real BMW. Looked at a 335 today that might fit the bill (still confirming the seats in the back option - can that be installed later if missing?).
    That would be nice I think. Though still a 30-35K compromise somehow.
    I skipped over the M3 and M2 options since I prefer understatement and can’t stand the bulging wheels and such.
    Completely different option would be to skip the manual and go with a decent X3 or even the X4 - though I’m a bit tired of the whole SUV thing.

Any input or other alternatives given where I’m coming from with this?

My Cars
    Honda S2000, VW Jetta TD
    We love our 15 335xi MT
    Fast fun and comfy. Hard to find though, we jumped on the first one we found
    Handling good for an xdrive. Much better than our 07 328xi

My Cars
    2011 335xi
    Your not gonna find wagons in the US like they have in Europe. You might as well get an x3 or x5 , theyll be a great drive and have all the space that you would need.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk