Thread: Alarm issues

My Cars
    89'750iL,98'740iL,00'M5

Alarm issues

Having a few random and intermittent issues with my alarm system. Let me start of by saying the actual siren fuse has been removed due to it being faulty and causing all kinds of audible crackling noises. Also, the drivers door does not lock.

Now the car will lock/unlock using the key and it works 90% of the time. Sometimes the car will not unlock using the remote at all, so I have to use the trunk lock to unlock the car. Sometimes the wont lock at all using the remote. Using the trunk lock seems to work every time. The remotes LED always blinks when I push it, and the buttons have had issues in the past. I have since fixed them and they are making contact as shown by the LED on the remote

Another question is, the DWA LED on the dash never blinks or anything, Could this just be because the siren itself has been disconnected? Have these LEDs gone bad before?

This is a $500 car I bought and did the timing chain guide job myself, so please excuse the multiple issues, I am nursing it back to health. I have a drivers door actuator that I will be putting in once I figure out how to get to the dam thing, and will be buying a siren as well.

BMW 7er Website www.7er.com
    1989 BMW 735i Schwarz (sadly, sold) // 1989 BMW 750iL Cirrusblau Metallic // 1998 BMW 740iL Oxfordgrün Metallic // 2000 M5 Carbon Schwarz ///

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Take advantage of diagnostics instead of forum fishing. Proceed forthwith to your nearest indy mechanic for a readout.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    ...or just get some cheap diagnostic tool, you will need it when owning this car. There are many out there, probably the best to start with is the BMW Scanner (PA Soft), needs a laptop and a 20 pin converter
    Congrats doing the timing chain guide update!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by SergeBMW View Post
    Having a few random and intermittent issues with my alarm system. Let me start of by saying the actual siren fuse has been removed due to it being faulty and causing all kinds of audible crackling noises. Also, the drivers door does not lock.

Now the car will lock/unlock using the key and it works 90% of the time. Sometimes the car will not unlock using the remote at all, so I have to use the trunk lock to unlock the car. Sometimes the wont lock at all using the remote. Using the trunk lock seems to work every time. The remotes LED always blinks when I push it, and the buttons have had issues in the past. I have since fixed them and they are making contact as shown by the LED on the remote

Another question is, the DWA LED on the dash never blinks or anything, Could this just be because the siren itself has been disconnected? Have these LEDs gone bad before?

This is a $500 car I bought and did the timing chain guide job myself, so please excuse the multiple issues, I am nursing it back to health. I have a drivers door actuator that I will be putting in once I figure out how to get to the dam thing, and will be buying a siren as well.
    Reinsert the fuse (or a fuse if correct amperage) that you removed to silence the alarm...then reattempt to lock the vehicle & see if the DWA status LED illuminates.

If there's any issues with the (FZV) central locking system (sounds like your driver's door actuator isn't working)...this can affect FBZV (remote central locking) operation.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    89'750iL,98'740iL,00'M5
    I purchased a used siren from ebay, I will be installing it in the next few days then reinserting the fuse as well as replacing the drivers door actuator. Couple of things. Before replacing the actuator, I tried using the drivers door lock and it was incredibly stiff to turn in any direction. Is this usually a symptom of a stuck or bad actuator? Worried it may have another issue.

Also today I noticed the remote did not unlock or lock the car any longer. I tried the re-initialization of the key with no luck. They LED on the key flashes as it should, but does not activate the locks during its programming steps. I checked all doors to make sure they were shut, noticed the drivers rear door upon opening, would not turn on the interior lights or the red light on the edge of the door. Could not find any info as to where the microswitch for the door closed is. I am thinking this may also be playing a part in the intermittent issue with locking and unlocking.

Lock/unlock via the trunk lock works fine, everytime.

BMW 7er Website www.7er.com
    1989 BMW 735i Schwarz (sadly, sold) // 1989 BMW 750iL Cirrusblau Metallic // 1998 BMW 740iL Oxfordgrün Metallic // 2000 M5 Carbon Schwarz ///