Thread: WTB: 850 csi license plate delete

My Cars
    e46 coupe 911sc

WTB: 850 csi license plate delete

Not sure what parts are required, but I have the big BMW license plate thing on my front, and I would rather take it off completely to have a sleeker cleaner look.

Let me know what you got. I'm in CT. willclee@yahoo.com

My Cars
    e46 coupe 911sc
    Anyone want to give theirs up?

My Cars
    E31s
    Will,

depending on how your "big BMW license plate" is configured, there are two alternative sets of parts required.

2018 0629 CSI Config 1.jpg

If you have the configuration shown above with pieces 1, 2, and 3, then you need pieces 5,6,and 7.

2018 0629 CSI Config 2.jpg
    If you have pieces 2 and 6 (on both sides of part #2) then you need pieces 5, 6, and 7 on the first diagram.
    The center piece #7, BMW part #5111 1 970220, is NLA; until recently parts 5 and 6 were still available from BMW; I'm not sure whether or not they are still available.

Good luck with your search!
    SteveCT
    E31s
    F30 daily driver

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCT View Post
    Will,

depending on how your "big BMW license plate" is configured, there are two alternative sets of parts required.

2018 0629 CSI Config 1.jpg

If you have the configuration shown above with pieces 1, 2, and 3, then you need pieces 5,6,and 7.

2018 0629 CSI Config 2.jpg
    If you have pieces 2 and 6 (on both sides of part #2) then you need pieces 5, 6, and 7 on the first diagram.
    The center piece #7, BMW part #5111 1 970220, is NLA; until recently parts 5 and 6 were still available from BMW; I'm not sure whether or not they are still available.

Good luck with your search!
    I don't think that this is correct advice. The parts shown in diagram one (containing the pieces numbered 5, 6, and 7) are for non-CSi cars. I have them on mine. The center piece is unobtainium, but there were a few pieces recently 3D printed by a fellow board member. However, as I said, those are for non-CSi noses.

I believe the correct license plate delete/fill piece for the CSi nose is the Racing Dynamics fill piece, which I believe is also unobtainium; however, I'm not as sure about that since I don't have a CSi front spoiler and have never paid as close attention -- but that is likely why wcl4 was asking if anyone was interested in giving theirs up.

Mike Barrett
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    e46 coupe 911sc
    Correct, for the non-csi version looks like left and right piece are available through BMW and the center piece can be 3d printed from a member on the board. From what I read, for the CSI, Racing Dynamics made what I was looking for - like the one in the attached photo. I thought by chance someone may have 3D printed one of those too. Looks like I'm late to the e31 party!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E31s
    Actually, many U.S. CSI's that were sold in states requiring a front license plate had the Euro plate holder removed and the U.S. plate holder installed along with parts 5 and 6. In those instances where the U.S. plate holder was subsequently removed, part 7 was added. This was really the only "official" BMW solution for U.S. CSi's that wanted front license plate deleted.

The Racing Dynamics solution is an aftermarket alternative, but like the BMW solution, NLA.

I have seen a number of U.S. CSI's outfitted as above, or with the original Euro plate holder and "BMW" faux plate cover piece still on the car.
    When I first acquired my CSI which has the above "U.S. treatment" I spent quite a bit of time researching this issue, and the original owner and dealer were quite helpful in explaining what had been done.

Just another instance of the U.S. cars being treated a bit haphazardly on their details, by BMW...
    SteveCT
    E31s
    F30 daily driver

My Cars
    e46 coupe 911sc
    The RD piece looks more like the intent of the csi front in my opinion. My car has the two pieces that surround the license plate, so if the license plate was removed and the two pieces joined together, it would look like the RD part. The parts that are available from bmw while they are factory, makes the csi look more like the standard 8 series imo.

My Cars
    E31s
    I agree with you, the RD piece looks like what BMW should have made available for U.S. CSi's. On the other hand, I think it is the CSi bumper that makes the front end look unique, as opposed to the grill inserts.
    Last edited by SteveCT; 07-31-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    SteveCT
    E31s
    F30 daily driver