A while back i asked about more -deep- software to analyse / set / troubleshoot my BMW E46

In the end, bought of Ebay this kit :

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/BMW-FAULT-CODE-READER-ENGINE-SCANNER-DIAGNOSTIC-RESET-TOOL-INPA-ISTA-D-ISTA-P/152224300562?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m2749.l2649

But, its internet .. so if you look for :
BMW FAULT CODE READER ENGINE SCANNER DIAGNOSTIC RESET TOOL INPA ISTA D ISTA P

You should be able to find the kit. ( it got a switch, so it also allows met to get on newer type of BMW )

A bit sceptical, i followed for once the manual, disabled my virus scanner and firewall, and
installed everything - in order - from both DVD's on my slightly older windows 8.1 laptop.

Works, flawless .. ( ok, some functions do not seem to work , but with a mix of the programs you can get nearly everywhere )
Proberly becouse its a adapted piece of software , and i doubt its used as intended by the original programmers.
( i guess / think its adapted dealer software ? )

At some programs, its opens a virtual machine ( i guess ) and you get "XP" inside windows 8.1 .. - whatever - ;p it works.
This mostly to say, that the provided DVD's do the work for you, and setup all that stuff you need.

My only "gripe" is that the cable is relative short, and you should consider buying a USB extension lead straight away.
As im a European, its for me also relative easy to read the mix of English and German on the software.
But , i can assume some might have issue's with that.
Some parts are English, some parts are German.

Example's what i could do so far ( did not test everything )
- Control the bmw radio ( fairly funny, and a safe way to "trail" the cable/software.
- Set the airco , put on the fuel pump, analyse / control the rear parking sensors
- Read out the VANOS , read out the oxygen sensors.. and .. well, basically all engine stuff.
( I THINK you can also litterly "mess" with the engine computer, but i stopped at that point )
- read out the airbag, and ( well, mine was not on ) , by the looks, reset the light .
- read out falt code's real "deep" and old, way further then a china-bluetooth reader can.

What i have not found yet, but should be there:
- manage my keys
- manage light settings
- activate the autopilot like a Tesla have.

So , kind of elected to turn this laptop into a "computer" car-fix thing, digging up software for other brands
( brother in law his audi comes in mind ) , and might as well put the snake-camera on.