Thread: Basic drift setup

My Cars
    325i

Basic drift setup

Hello everybody!
    I am from Sydney looking to buy a e36 or e46 (years 95'/00') as a drift project.
    Since i am complete noob with drifting, I am not the sure about the right engine size I need and if I will be able to drift it bare stock or I need some basic setup?
    I tried to search here for a basic setup and couldn't find, links with info of basic setup will be much appreciated.

Cheers!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    For a basic drift setup, all you need is:

fixed back seat
    coilovers
    Welded Diff or LSD
    A working E-brake
    Remove rear sway bar (preference)

Additional:
    Steering wheel
    Angle kit
    Power adders/engine swap
    Cage

If you are a complete noob, do the basic mods, then get out and drive. Don't build a crazy car that you will not be able to control. Mod as needed, seat time and experience is key. Plus, once you start building a powerful car, cost per event goes through the roof.

My Cars
    1985 535i
    This^^^ and as far as engine goes, you can't really go wrong with any of the six cylinder engines. Although a 328 e36 or 328/330 e46 will give you a bit more power to start off with. If you happen to pick up an e46, catless headers and a tune will net you a reasonable gain in horsepower. Also note, if you're looking for just a tad more angle as a beginner rack spacers can be purchased for about $10 and are very easy to install.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I started on my '01 330 with stock blown suspension, and a welded diff. Truly all you need to start is a welded diff and a clutch that holds the power.

My Cars
    325i
    Thank you very much for the responses!

what would be better to start with e36 or e46? what minimum engine size?
    and assuming engine was well serviced, how much preferable mileage on the engine? (lets assume e36 is 95' and e46 is 00').

thanks!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    e36 M3 or E46 330s are the best hp for your dollar. E46 M3s are still pricey. There really isn't a preference between the two mechanically since they are SO damn similar. The E36 is a bit harder to work on in some ways, the E46 has a slightly more complicated engine to work on. I wouldn't worry about mileage, just pick a car that looks like it's in good mechanical order.

I'll reiterate the preferences in order:
    Good suspension (coilovers)
    Locking differential (welded or LSD) <- E36 M3s come with one from the factory
    Bucket seat
    Angle mods

Functioning ebrake is somewhere in there. The stock one can work but is a bit wonky. A hydro is more $$ and is a hot topic around here.

Don't worry about power if you get a 330 E46 or M3. Cages are only for tandem.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Pretty much any 6cyl e36/e46 is fine. Honestly only thing I would say they need is an LSD but if it doesn't have one just weld it. The cars even with bad suspension are pretty easy to drift.

This was my first time driving my friends e46 325i, only thing it had was a welded. The front suspension was completely blown and still was very easy to drift.
    Last edited by Piner; 06-12-2018 at 01:44 AM.

My Cars
    330Ci
    I have an E46 330, 3.38 welded, BC Racing BR-s, eBay lock adapters, lock spacers, stock handbrake with an extension, 4 puck clutch with M30 flywheel and reinforced M30 pressure plate and the thing goes like an absolute dream. All of that excluding the car cost like max 2500$.

My Cars
    1985 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVi View Post
    I have an E46 330, 3.38 welded, BC Racing BR-s, eBay lock adapters, lock spacers, stock handbrake with an extension, 4 puck clutch with M30 flywheel and reinforced M30 pressure plate and the thing goes like an absolute dream. All of that excluding the car cost like max 2500$.
    Can you explain this clutch setup? Are you 6 speed?

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVi View Post
    Links for the lock adapters and spacers?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I agree with kevin- My ca is a really smooth slider, and the basis of my car is BC BR coilovers, a welded 3.46, and seats. That's really it on my car, I've run 5 events like this, and the only other mod is an ample amount of toe out. sticky front tires, rear 215 or 225's at 50 psi, and I go out and shred.
    I've also gutted my interior behind the front seats, everything from the carpet to the sound deadening under the rear deck. I've kept all my speakers. When I bought the car the clutch was bad, I put in a brand new valeo stock spec clutch. Holds all the power great, clutch drops, and there are some 3rd gear laps I was kicking it 14-15 times each lap lol.
    I recently added a dual caliper hydro setup, and before my next event I'll have my SLR angle kit.
    I do want to say, it's a good idea to at least start learning without angle mods. Learn how to slide a pretty stock car, and you'll be better off than if you learn with a car that hides your lack of skill.

My Cars
    330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrcanes55 View Post
    Can you explain this clutch setup? Are you 6 speed?
    5 Speed, Took an old M30 single mass flywheel from an E32 735i that my friend was parting out, got it machined(lighter, arond 15 lbs now) and then got an Sachs performance pressure plate and a 4 puck disk, i dont remember where i got it from, but it works. Swapped the ring tooth from the M54 flywheel to the M30 one, new throwout bearing, plate and pressure plate and it grabs like a dream. Very happy with the result. Flywheel was dirt cheap too, like 50$.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BryceMotch View Post
    Links for the lock adapters and spacers?
    Search on eBay for E46 lock adapters. They are about 40$ and lock spacers are like 8.