Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New E24 Owner Denver, CO

My Cars
    1989 635csi

New E24 Owner Denver, CO

This weekend I was gifted a 1989 635 CSI! The car was a summer driver in Wisconsin so there is hardly any rust. It's Luxor Beige with White leather interior, automatic, 228,000 miles. It's in great shape but has a few engine issues as of now. This is my first BMW, and also it will be my first project car. It was a gift from my future father in law for our wedding and has been sitting in our garage since it was shipped. I've read a good amount on here and also BigCoupe. Does anyone know of a good vendor that has pre-assembled refresh kits (fluids, spark, belts, etc)? The main goal for this year it to get the car in reliable shape so I will be able to attend the Drive 4 Corners event.

Thanks

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    On the east coast but I like Bav Auto https://www.bavauto.com/?gclid=EAIaI...SAAEgIMfvD_BwE

Also, just do a search for e24 parts and I'm sure you'll get plenty of options.

Welcome to the fold.

My Cars
    1985 535i, 1980 635CSi
    Hi Groove,

I hope you can join us this weekend. I'd suggest trying to register it and drive it early here in the summer to make sure trips around town don't give you any problems. After 500-1000 miles I'm sure you will be ready for the D4C trip in August!

My Cars
    1989 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986series6 View Post
    On the east coast but I like Bav Auto https://www.bavauto.com/?gclid=EAIaI...SAAEgIMfvD_BwE

Also, just do a search for e24 parts and I'm sure you'll get plenty of options.

Welcome to the fold.
    Thanks for the link! I loaded up on parts from Bav and also Turner Motorsport.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tschultz View Post
    Hi Groove,

I hope you can join us this weekend. I'd suggest trying to register it and drive it early here in the summer to make sure trips around town don't give you any problems. After 500-1000 miles I'm sure you will be ready for the D4C trip in August!
    Good morning,

I was hoping to try and join the weekend but the car decided not to start this morning and has a CEL. I have a feeling something came loose this during shipping since there is a gas smell in the garage. Looks like I have a long weekend ahead of me since I have no idea where to look first.

Thanks again

My Cars
    1985 535i, 1980 635CSi
    Being a late model, it is not all applicable, but this will give you a very good start:

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/motronic.htm

My Cars
    1989 635csi
    That's a huge help! She started up again. Battery issue since it sat through the winter in Wisconsin. Still a CEL and Fuel smell.

Thanks again,
    Tyler

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    My sources in some order: FCP Euro, BavAuto, BMA autoparts, RM European, Autohauz AZ, ECS tuning.

Choose depending on where you live. and trigger for free shipping. FCP Euro and BavAuto are close so I get stuff in 2 days, Autohauz takes a week or more, RM European is in the middle wrt deliver time to the east coast.

Shop around, prices quite variable. For dealer stuff most of us use getbmwparts.com
    Rob E3

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    Welcome to the wonderful world of E24 ownership! The late '88-'89 models are the best looking US version, IMHO. Great story about your FIL. Seems like an awesome fella, can't argue with a free E24! It seems to me like you're going about this the right way, replacing all the rubber bits, lines & fluids is usuaully an excellent start. Top-end seals are pretty robust, even if they're weeping a little oil I'd leave them alone unless you're sure that's the trouble. I bought a complete top-end gasket set at ECStuning in Ohio, service is good and shipping is cheap for me. Pelican Parts, AutoHausAZ and RockAuto can have a few bargains too, especially for commonly mechanical parts like brakes, starters, fuel pumps, etc.. Even the dealer can occasionally get you a decent price on OEM BMW parts.

Don't forget that your car came with built-in diagnostics, unlike earlier E24s. Do the "stomp test" to pull the codes. Turn the key to 'accessory' ('position 1' in BMW-speak) and rapidly pump the accelerator pedal five times in less than ten seconds. If you get the timing right, the CEL will start to blink out a code. Google it if my explanation doesn't make any sense. We always called it "OBD1". Codes are a little limited, ODB2 code readers aren't much help.

If the car sat for a while, I'd guess you have enough vac leaks to cause a 1221 code (O2 sensor out of range). If the car doesn't get used often, the oil will drain from the rings and cause starting troubles. Fuel injectors can get varnished due to E15 gasoline. Water can also cause troubles with E15 fuels. Could also be a bunch of other stuff (bad crank angle sender, bad main or fuel pump relay, coolant temp sensor, old O2 sensor, mis-adjusted throttle position sensor, failing lift pump, clogged fuel filter, or just old gas and a few dirty plugs). I'd strongly recommend taking your time and testing stuff out...these cars get very spendy if you start troubleshooting by swapping stuff out.

My Cars
    89 635CSi & 87 MB 560SL

Parts & Owners manual

Welcome to the madness. When purchasing parts buy high quality. Stay aware from parts made in China, this includes hoses, belts, vacuum lines, etc. Uro parts are junk in my opinion.

The following is a link for the 88 & 89 owners manual, you'll find it invaluable at times. I purchased a new manual from a BMW dlr for $15.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4j...ew?usp=sharing

My Cars
    1989 635csi
    Good morning gents,

I wish I would have never mentioned rust... driver's side, rear floor pan... toast. On the hunt for that now.

After 2 hour of internet searching, if anyone has a e24 floor pan resource, shoot it over

Quote Originally Posted by RSheiman View Post
    My sources in some order: FCP Euro, BavAuto, BMA autoparts, RM European, Autohauz AZ, ECS tuning.

Choose depending on where you live. and trigger for free shipping. FCP Euro and BavAuto are close so I get stuff in 2 days, Autohauz takes a week or more, RM European is in the middle wrt deliver time to the east coast.

Shop around, prices quite variable. For dealer stuff most of us use getbmwparts.com
    You are right on parts being priced differently. ECS has insane shipping costs but are priced well. I've been on a shopping spree for the last 48 hours and it looks like it's only going to get worse.

Don't forget that your car came with built-in diagnostics, unlike earlier E24s. Do the "stomp test" to pull the codes. Turn the key to 'accessory' ('position 1' in BMW-speak) and rapidly pump the accelerator pedal five times in less than ten seconds. If you get the timing right, the CEL will start to blink out a code. Google it if my explanation doesn't make any sense. We always called it "OBD1". Codes are a little limited, ODB2 code readers aren't much help.

If the car sat for a while, I'd guess you have enough vac leaks to cause a 1221 code (O2 sensor out of range). If the car doesn't get used often, the oil will drain from the rings and cause starting troubles. Fuel injectors can get varnished due to E15 gasoline. Water can also cause troubles with E15 fuels. Could also be a bunch of other stuff (bad crank angle sender, bad main or fuel pump relay, coolant temp sensor, old O2 sensor, mis-adjusted throttle position sensor, failing lift pump, clogged fuel filter, or just old gas and a few dirty plugs). I'd strongly recommend taking your time and testing stuff out...these cars get very spendy if you start troubleshooting by swapping stuff out.
    Thanks a ton for the stomp test! I thought it would bear some fruit but the only code I'm getting is 1444 (No CEL's stored). It's odd since the check engine light does not flash but the orange "CHECK" flashes in the head up display.
    I think this is just service items but the smell of gas is so bad. Any thoughts?

Thanks a bunch Roger! I saved that gem.

Tyler
    Last edited by Groove1797; 06-09-2018 at 12:38 PM.

My Cars
    1983 633csi, 2017 540i
    That check light will probably go out with a tap of the brakes after you crank it up. Probably got a fuel line cracked. Check the one from the fuel rail to the cold start injector. It goes through a passage in the intake manifold.
    Last edited by bmw6fan; 06-09-2018 at 02:51 PM.

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46
    Congrats, on the girl and the car. I have to wonder about the motives of the future F-I-L, however... It's a bad disease to spread.

I worry about the fuel leak, please don't park it inside until you have found out where it is coming from. Hopefully it is at least not leaving a puddle of gas on the ground underneath, although that would point you toward the source faster.

The first E24 I bought was a little "rough" when I got it and the first night it was in the garage, I woke up at about 2am smelling gas. The garage is 2 floors below my bedroom, but the furnace (gas heat!) is in the garage!! Boy, that got me up fast and the car spent the night outside.

The smell was quickly located in the rear (thank goodness) and clearly strongest in the trunk. The fuel "pre-pump" gasket on top of the tank was bad and it did not slosh out until I had filled the tank to drive it home. This is (usually) fixed fairly easily since there is an access panel in the trunk floor just for this purpose. Lucky me, somehow it did not line up enough to be able to pull the thing out, and I had to drop the tank (and exhaust) to change the stupid little gasket.

Oh, replace the rubber fuel lines connected there while you're at it, if this is the problem.

'84 Euro 635CSi Polaris/Pacific, for sale (maybe)
    Home of the Silver Bimmers: '91 M5, '84 Euro E24, "99 E36, "98 E36, '02 E46 xiT (yes, all silver)

My Cars
    1989 635csi
    The check light has not gone out. It’s probably a sensor problem. I checked the level of the fluids, lights, etc.. Once I get the big maintenance kit that I ordered, I’ll go through everything with a fine tooth comb (next weekend). I’m still on the hunt for floor plans and the tear down will begin Friday. I might need to source a parts car since the pans are so hard to come by.

I’ll try and get pics up this week

Tyler

My Cars
    1989 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
    Congrats, on the girl and the car. I have to wonder about the motives of the future F-I-L, however... It's a bad disease to spread.

I worry about the fuel leak, please don't park it inside until you have found out where it is coming from. Hopefully it is at least not leaving a puddle of gas on the ground underneath, although that would point you toward the source faster.

The first E24 I bought was a little "rough" when I got it and the first night it was in the garage, I woke up at about 2am smelling gas. The garage is 2 floors below my bedroom, but the furnace (gas heat!) is in the garage!! Boy, that got me up fast and the car spent the night outside.

The smell was quickly located in the rear (thank goodness) and clearly strongest in the trunk. The fuel "pre-pump" gasket on top of the tank was bad and it did not slosh out until I had filled the tank to drive it home. This is (usually) fixed fairly easily since there is an access panel in the trunk floor just for this purpose. Lucky me, somehow it did not line up enough to be able to pull the thing out, and I had to drop the tank (and exhaust) to change the stupid little gasket.

Oh, replace the rubber fuel lines connected there while you're at it, if this is the problem.
    The car is currently parked in our detached garage that sits away from the house. There is no leaking when the car is parked and it doesn’t smell that bad. When it’s running, it’s a whole different story. I ordered new fuel lines, pump, gaskets, filter and other bits. I need to tear out the interior first and deal with the rust situation.

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by Groove1797 View Post
    The check light has not gone out. It’s probably a sensor problem. I checked the level of the fluids, lights, etc.. Once I get the big maintenance kit that I ordered, I’ll go through everything with a fine tooth comb (next weekend). I’m still on the hunt for floor plans and the tear down will begin Friday. I might need to source a parts car since the pans are so hard to come by.

I’ll try and get pics up this week

Tyler
    Oh, that's not a CEL. That's a BMW-only deal called the "CHECK" light...it's only function is to annoy and distract you. The Bavarians thoughtfully put that right smack in the center of the gauge cluster to let you know that something is up on the Check Control Panel, on your lower left. Down by the headlight switch, just press the little button on the CCP and it'll go away...until the next time you start the car. It's probably a bad sensor like coolant or washer fluid level, they go bad eventually. Sometimes a brake wear sensor flakes out too.

Floor pans for your car are the same as the E28 from what I've heard. Likely they're not too much different than the earlier E23 7-series either. Late E24s are mechanically identical to the E28 and very similar to the E34, E32 7-series and E31 8-series. Many parts like brakes, suspension, etc. are direct swaps or even upgrades. Many smaller electrical parts are also shared with the E30 3-series. I just used an E30 turn signal switch when my high beams were flickering, bolted right in. I had to re-pin a connector. Steering wheels also work, if you're careful about the spline pattern.

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    The car is currently parked in our detached garage that sits away from the house. There is no leaking when the car is parked and it doesn’t smell that bad. When it’s running, it’s a whole different story. I ordered new fuel lines, pump, gaskets, filter and other bits. I need to tear out the interior first and deal with the rust situation.
    Hmm. You're on the right track, probably just a weeping fuel line. Could also be the o-ring that seals the fuel pressure regulator. I've seen a lot of leaks where the fuel line kinks at the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. Did you get decent OEM-grade 8x13mm high-pressure fuel injector hose? I tend to replace it all on every new project car I get, including the lines down by the high-pressure fuel pump (if installed) & fuel filter. It's pretty expensive line, but well worth the investment/peace of mind. IIRC about 1 meter of hose will do the whole car, I usually buy a little extra since project cars often come my way. You can use cheap SAE fuel injector line (5/16"?) but it isn't a perfect fit. Great for quick repairs though. I'd also recommend new hose clamps too, since I always seem to mangle one or two of the little ones.

I wouldn't worry too much about the vent lines from the tank to the vapor recovery tank, but I'd definitely drop the tank if I was planning on replacing them too. It's not impossible to remove the fuel tank, just a few big bolts. Nothing else in the way except the rear bumper fascia if memory serves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bmw6fan View Post
    That check light will probably go out with a tap of the brakes after you crank it up. Probably got a fuel line cracked. Check the one from the fuel rail to the cold start injector. It goes through a passage in the intake manifold.
    He's got a late model...I don't think the B35 was fitted with a cold-start injector. Good thing too, that little so-and-so is nearly inaccessible!

My Cars
    87 635CSi, 88 635CSi,
    Groove,
    Do be sure to check the vapor lines (3 of them) that attach near the fuel filler. Easiest to access them at the filler door by pulling back the rubber gasket around the filler neck. You will need a flashlight to properly see them. They go through the wheelwell an into the car up to the vapor tank under the rear package shelf. No need to pull the tank for these. BUT, if the car has been sitting for some time I recommend pulling the tank to clean it out ...before running all the muck that's in it through the fuel lines, filters and pumps, especially if they're new. On your '89 you'll also have to disconnect the rear exhaust hangers and let the exhaust drop down a good bit to clear the tank coming down. Just be careful with tension at the exhaust manifold at the front. These vapor lines will stink up your garage, and your clothes, and if you fill the tank full can leak fuel under the car etc...

B35 has no CS injector as Dave mentioned. The ecm enriches the fuel mix during cold start.

- - - Updated - - -

Also,
    You'll need about 15ft of vapor rated hose to replace these with. I've used FI hose with bad results although sometimes it may be your only option. Check my thread from a couple years ago

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post29805871

For floor pans check seller Lcurves on ebay. He parts out a lot of e24's.
    Last edited by slofut; 06-11-2018 at 01:08 PM.

My Cars
    1989 635csi
    Good afternoon gents!

I am currently traveling for work (woof) but will be home tomorrow night. I’ve had the turner MS maintence kit, HSPI vacuum hose kit, fuel-line, vapor-line and a set of chrome tail light surrounds (these are a pain) delivered to the house.

Agenda for the weekend is stage 1 of tear down. Removed interior and evaluate the rust situation. Still on the hunt for floor pans. I probaby will delay some fluid maintenance until I see what the damage is.

Second item for the weekend (questionable if I get to it) - I want to pour a slab next to my garage and essentially build a lockable parts shed so I do not clutter the garage.

I’ll get pictures up of the tear down and I also built an excel to track the build expense. We’ve all spent plenty of hours reading build threads so I’ll try and make this as informative/transparent as possible. Should be some solid entertainment for everyone on here and also I’ll apologize in advance for the amount of stupid questions that I’ll have.

Ideal goal for the car is a full tear down, fix the rust, replace the pans, remove all sub-frames, seal, paint, replace bushings and then start the build back up. I’m sure that there will be respray will be involved since my OCD will kick in. We always want these things to move quicker that they go but I should have progress weekly. Since the FIL was the original owner, my fiancée has a good attachment to it and gave me carte blanche on the project.

Cheers
    Last edited by Groove1797; 06-12-2018 at 07:02 PM.

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46
    ...my fiancée has a good attachment to it and gave me carte blanche on the project.

Cheers
    Wow! She's a keeper!

'84 Euro 635CSi Polaris/Pacific, for sale (maybe)
    Home of the Silver Bimmers: '91 M5, '84 Euro E24, "99 E36, "98 E36, '02 E46 xiT (yes, all silver)

My Cars
    85 M635, 98 Z3, 00 528iT
    I don't see this place as being mentioned, but I find them a good source, especially for harder to find Euro items, and I believe they can get body panels too:
    https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/

Welcome to the madness!

Eric

My Cars
    1989 635csi
    Hey Eric,

I actually reached out to them to see if they had new floor pans. No go, but I do think they will be a good resource for panels and hard to come by bits.

My Cars
    88m5,2015 Silverado
    welcome aboard, somewhere someone on here as the sheet metal you require. Years ago, I would have a number of e24 cars I could have scavenged for you. Pretty sure Dave is 100% correct on the check panel, when the check light comes on, go to the check panel and push the lower center button, should turn the light off

My Cars
    81 euro 635, 4.4 X5
    Cut some out of a wreck. Did that on mine, but welded them in and after under coating them, no sign of them being replaced. I just replaced the foot wells.
    81 Euro undergoing total nut and bolt restoration
    pictures at: flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos

My Cars
    1989 635csi
    Just got done removing the interior and she may be a crush vehicle. Both rear floor pans are toast, I knew there was rust on the rear wheel arches but there was much more than first expected and the rear sub-frame is birth place of tetanus. I'm on the hunt for a local Colorado car or another state that will be less rust. Hopefully I can find one in good shape. I'll post pictures tomorrow since I'm exhausted.

My Cars
    1985 535i, 1980 635CSi
    Just got done removing the interior and she may be a crush vehicle. Both rear floor pans are toast, I knew there was rust on the rear wheel arches but there was much more than first expected and the rear sub-frame is birth place of tetanus. I'm on the hunt for a local Colorado car or another state that will be less rust. Hopefully I can find one in good shape. I'll post pictures tomorrow since I'm exhausted.

I knew of one recently that had difficulty finding the title. 88 with B35 like your car.

Otherwise, I know of a very nice L6 for sale, probably around $10k.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast