Thread: Be Careful - Navigation Map Update

My Cars
    2014 BMW 750i

Be Careful - Navigation Map Update

I was looking to update the Maps on my 2014 750i. Dealer wanted $375 to do one time map update, crazy, so I looked elsewhere.

I found this site: https://bmwnavupdate.com/product-category/bmw/

I was on live chat with them for 30 mins to get two basic questions answered to help me decide if I would buy from them. It should have taken 3 mins...2 simple questions that you would normally know off the top of your head if you were a vendor

Be careful, they are India based and they masqurade by having the agents use English names. I asked the agent multiple times if buying maps from them and installing in my car would void my manufacturer warranty and he kept avoiding the question and answering a different question instead each time. This is part of the reason the chat took so long. I got a little suspicious after all the avoiding (and the agent had an "English" name that you rarely hear used any more) and I would not get off the topic since there was no way I was going to void warranty to save a few bucks.

Finally, after me forcing simple Yes or No (Does it void manufacturer warranty) the agent admitted it would void my warranty.

I did find another site (I think they are based in Poland) that claim they Mfgr Warranty is not voided if you use the, I don't know if they are telling the truth or not, given what I learned from the above experience.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Installing aftermarket Nav maps doesn't really "void the warranty", because the warranty covers defects. If the navigation computer fails due to a defect that isn't directly caused by the installation of the aftermarket software, then you're fine, it's still covered. And since the operating system of the Nav computer is contained separately from the nav software you'll be installing, there's virtually no chance that the software you're installing will kill the computer. That's not to say the nav software will work, but it'll likely be able to be overwritten by more software if necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.