Thread: Body shop botched a touch up, what now?

My Cars
    2000 Jeep Wrangler

Body shop botched a touch up, what now?

Not sure where else to post this, but I'm in need of some help. I took my E39 M5 to a local shop here in Goldsboro , NC to have a rock chip touched up. The key here is it was just ONE rock chip.

I got the car back today and the body shop went to town on the paint. They touched up every single microscopic (i.e. barely visible) chip from road debris and what they left behind is a non-color matched mound of paint and clear. They made zero effort to match the color of the 17 year old car, instead electing to call up Du Pont and buy a can of factory paint and hoping for the best. I'm really at a loss for words. This thing wasn't perfect, but other than the single bigger chip the car was easily a 1 foot car. From 1 foot, it looked perfect. Now from 10 feet away you can see these halos of clear that are left behind with a darker blue spot in the center where the 1 day old Le Mans Blue contrasts with the 17 year old Le Mans Blue.

Where do I go from here? Do I take it to another shop and hope it can be fixed? Do I get my insurance involved and file a comprehensive claim and see if they can go after the shop for the damage? Do I just hire an attorney? I mean at this point, respraying it out of pocket would probably be cheaper than a lawyer.

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    Think you are hosed. Do you have anything that clearly states what was to be done? The other option is to ask them nicely if they actually can match the paint and get a respray. Out of curiosity what are you willing to settle for, keeping in mind you may not even have a claim
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"

My Cars
    2000 Jeep Wrangler
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra1956 View Post
    Think you are hosed. Do you have anything that clearly states what was to be done? The other option is to ask them nicely if they actually can match the paint and get a respray. Out of curiosity what are you willing to settle for, keeping in mind you may not even have a claim
    No I do not have anything clearly stating that. The problem I have is the sub par work that was done. If he filled all the chips correctly and up to a reasonable standard and charged me, I would understand that. But using non-matched paint and not completely filling the chips is the problem here. I'd settle for respraying the affected panels and blending them.

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    Did they acknowledge it did not look right? Did you speak to the manager when you picked up the car. Photos that both parties could agree were taken at the time of dispute? Doubt you find an attorney that wants to play with this but you stated you were willing to go elsewhere in the original post. If it were me I would:
    1. Find out if they can match paint, as a respray requires them to do that also
    2. Do they acknowledge the paint does not match. If the first question is a yes then it makes sense to hold them to what they say they can do.
    3. If the second is a no I would go elsewhere but let them know that social media was made for thing like this.
    Try to keep emotions to a minimum and be factual.
    Best of luck
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"