Thread: Error on ECS Tuning Website, Warning to all (Clutch/Flywheel Parts)

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i, Sport 5MT

Error on ECS Tuning Website, Warning to all (Clutch/Flywheel Parts)

I'm in the middle of what has become a hairy situation with ECS Tuning, so I don't mean to disparage here, rather offer caution to anyone on the forum who is shopping their website. They advertise a lightweight flywheel and Sachs clutch kit (also same flywheel with OEM clutch), as well as the lightweight flywheel by itself. Unfortunately I got to be the one to inform them of their error, at the cost of a second-install and a few days of uber/lyft rides to and from work.

I know the reviews show people successfully installing these on their E36 or E46, so before people chime in and say it could be the installer's fault, I'm telling everyone that Bimmer Performance Center, did the initial installation and is doing the job a second time. They are legit and know exactly what they're doing.

I notified ECS tuning of this issue yesterday and their website is still showing incorrectly. I have worked in eCommerce businesses for a number of years now and know that updating a website error such as this can be done within 24 hours, if not much more quickly. They haven't chosen to do so yet, so who know how long it'll stay cataloged incorrectly.

Their sales rep checked their catalog and said they did, in fact, catalog these parts incorrectly. It was NOT a mis-pick or mis-ship.

So, buyer beware here, these parts won't fit your E39.

ECS_Tuning_Product_Page.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by frknvgn; 06-06-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: image didn't work, tried again

My Cars
    528iT
    Good catch. I was looking at that. Was going to order the DKM setup and try it out on my M52

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i, Sport 5MT
    Update, ECS made good on the situation, but it seems their website still catalogs these parts like they did when I ordered them.

My Cars
    528iT, Fiero, Stingray
    Isn't the flywheel the same for all I6 E46, Z3, and X5s??? What about it doesn't work?

I was almost certainly going to go with the ECS flywheel when the time comes to replace the clutch on my 528i.

-Tim

My Cars
    528iT, Fiero, Stingray
    I'm very curious on why this flywheel doesn't work for E39's. I've been digging into clutch stuff lately because we just did the clutch on my friends 3.0 Z3 Coupe (basically an E36) and almost any part we looked up and ordered was the same as on my '99 528i. He went with the Valeo single mass kit but I planned to do the ECS lightweight when the time comes.

I do see the one review says: "The inside should be machined to allow a sprung clutch disc to fit inside of it."

Is that the problem? A sprung disc doesn't work so you HAVE to use a solid disc?

BMW #21217512474, Twin Mass Flywheel is listed on realoem for: E36, E46, E39, E38, E53, and Z3

thanks for anymore info you can provide,

-Tim