Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e39 OBC retrofit

My Cars
    1996 e39 520i

e39 OBC retrofit

hello guys,
    I've had my E39 for 2 years now it's a 1996 520.
    the previous owner did some retrofits but what's more important to me is the OBC functions which the car does not have.
    the car does not have the fuel consumption, trip, avg speed, etc..
    although at sometime of its life the previous owner retrofitted a MID with BC button and an electric steering column with BC button on the stalk. but pressing them does nothing.
    I've noticed also that the cluster is a bit different, it does not show open doors or light errors or any errors at all, it only show outside temp. in a smaller screen (pic attached)
    download.jpg
    however unlocking the cluster shows all the tests with all the info. I just need it shown on the cluster and the MID and for the BC buttons to work.
    So, anyone got any ideas what's needed other than the MID, the Stalk which are already retrofitted and a cluster that i'll source from any salvage yard?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yes, the OBC brains live in the cluster, you need a "high" cluster indeed for an OBC to work. That's the one with a big long readout screen in the middle instead of just the little tiny one.

You'll see all the documentation refers to "low" or "high" clusters. Sometimes "IKE" (high) and "KMB" (low) are used by BMW as acronyms for the respective cluster modules.

Now unless your PO did the wiring already, you also need to retrofit the wiring.

Look at the PDF in this post. (ignore all the rambling excessive link puke from Bluebee, she single-handedly made Bimfest E39 unreadable by posting 900 senseless links into each and every thread...)

The factory harness part is no longer available, but using that doc you might be able to figure out exactly what and how to cut out junkyard wiring parts.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...28&postcount=7

Now... A used cluster needs the mileage cleared by having a new chip transplanted into it, and the cluster needs to be recoded for your VIN. Otherwise you'll have the wrong mileage and a "tamper dot" showing that indicates to everyone that your car is some kind of mess and the mileage is wrong.

Then the whole car should be recoded for a high cluster, although probably the modules that really matter are the LCM (lights) and ZKE/GM (body).

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, any guess as to whether your PO did the steering wheel transplant correctly or not. It seems plenty of posers just toss the wheel on but don't put the wiring in to support it. So taht might also be missing, you'd have to take your wheel/column apart a little and see if it looks like all the wires are there. There was a recent thread from another guy (I want to say Scandinavian maybe?) who was struggling with his PO's steering wheel retrofit - none of the buttons worked and turned out the guy never did all the clock-spring wiring that was required so the new owner was left to try to figure that out.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1996 e39 520i
    First of all a big thank u for taking the time to write such a helpful reply.
    Second, i understand the high cluster buti'd like to also know if it would be easier to retrofit a low cluster since it's already a two plug cluster just like the one I have but it does show the obc functions, open doors and light errors.
    I'm not sure if u noticed the difference between the one I have pictured above and a low cluster
    They look very similar except for that mine has a blacked out space where it should show open doors and light errors, and a smaller screen that only show outside temp rather than obc functions. I have searched alot but they seem a bit uncommon.
    Also all my steering wheel functions work and all the stalks work except for the obc button which does nothing.
    I understand i'm going to take everything apart an double check all the wiring.
    Regarding the tamper dot, it's already there as the LCM has been upgraded from lcm2 to lcm3, i did some coding to it using ncs expert but never managed to recode the vin.
    I dont mind the tamper dot as the car is mine and im not planning on selling it anytime soon.
    Do u think that just swapping the cluster for a low obc cluster would do the trick?
    Im sure some wiring need to be done specially on the MID side.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedsalem89 View Post
    Regarding the tamper dot, it's already there as the LCM has been upgraded from lcm2 to lcm3, i did some coding to it using ncs expert but never managed to recode the vin.

I dont mind the tamper dot as the car is mine and im not planning on selling it anytime soon.
    Do u think that just swapping the cluster for a low obc cluster would do the trick?
    Im sure some wiring need to be done specially on the MID side.

There are only two types of clusters...low (base) and high. Swapping the low cluster you have now for another low cluster will not give you the GRAHPIC DISPLAY you seek because of what is bolded in your quote above. You swapped out the LCM and never coded the correct VIN to it.

The LCM (light check module) communicates directly with the IKE and sends check control data to it (that's the stuff on the graphic display). Since the LCM you have installed isn't coded with the same VIN the IKE has...they are NOT communicating/sharing data with each other...this is why your GRAPHIC DISPLAY is blank.

{the info below explains why your Graphic Display is blank...it's not communicating with the LCM}

Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-06-2018 at 03:10 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1996 e39 520i
    Thank u so much Qsilver7 for this helpful information.
    I'll be looking into learning how to code the lcm.
    However, when i said the check controls are blank i meant the screen is actaully blacked out not even a shadow of the car hologram. Its simply not there at all
    Let me try to explain with pictures
    Here is a pic of my cluster doing the test n. 2
    2018-06-07 03.10.21.jpg
    I dont even have a shadow of the check controls. Its just a solid black piece of plastic.
    Also notice the red arrows and notice the actual size of the screen where it's supposed to show obc data, its smaller than an actual low cluster pictured below
    587c766e9f797_maxresdefault(1).thumb.jpg.210017e7c1f49eebb7c456b1837cb7bb.jpg
    I know it can be confusing as it seems that my cluster came in really early models with no obc at all
    BTW here is my vin BH51616

Edit: searching the internet i found a couple of guys with the same cluster but none of them bothered doing the work involved in replacing the cluster but i dont mind doing that for the extra obc info
    Last edited by Ahmedsalem89; 06-06-2018 at 09:24 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Good stuff from Q7.

Also let me clarify what is going on here.

You say you want "OBC". None of the stuff you are taking about is OBC. OBC is mileage and stopwatch and miles to empty and stuff like that. Not "the doors picture".

Don't say you want OBC if that's not what you really care about.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1996 e39 520i
    Thank u geargrinder for ur clarification. Excuse my errors as im new to the e39 and BMWs
    The thing is i dont have both. Neither the open doors and loght errors screen nor the range, fuel consumption, stopwatch, etc.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Right. You don't have either I guess.... So...

Seems like there is a "super low" cluster without doors or even basic 'OBC' functions onboard which is what you have? News to us but OK.
    A regular base low KMBI cluster has the doors and some very basic light-check features plus some very basic mileage stuff, not "real OBC".
    A proper IKE high cluster has the 'real' OBC that works with the mid properly.

You didn't say "I only want the doors to work" in your first post, you said you wanted the BC button on the MID to work, you wanted OBC etc.

Thing is - if you have to buy a cluster from a junkyard... your choices will be:

- Get a real High IKE cluster (will have 3 plugs on the back, not 2...), and then either take wires with it or at least 'reserve the option' to make the OBC work later...
    or
    - Get a "regular Low" KMBI cluster that still only has 2 connectors, but should give you 'doors' and maybe a light bulb message once in a while, but not will never work with the MID

Either way you'll have to code it to make it work is what QS7 is saying. And honestly if it was me I'd go for the 'full upgrade' rather than bother with the Low version.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1996 e39 520i
    Exactly yes. Thank u.
    Ok, just to make sure i get it right, if i go for the low cluster i'd only need to pull a cluster from a donor car and maybe a LCM from the same car to prevent the tamper dot from appearing untill i learn about coding it. Will it be plug and play?
    And if i go with ur advice which seems to be the resonable option and do a high cluster retrofit, what exactly should i pull from the donor car other than the cluster of course and maybe the LCM?
    Last edited by Ahmedsalem89; 06-07-2018 at 09:37 AM.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedsalem89 View Post
    Exactly yes. Thank u.
    Ok, just to make sure i get it right, if i go for the low cluster i'd only need to pull a cluster from a donor car and maybe a LCM from the same car to prevent the tamper dot from appearing untill i learn about coding it. Will it be plug and play?
    And if i go with ur advice which seems to be the resonable option and do a high cluster retrofit, what exactly should i pull from the donor car other than the cluster of course and maybe the LCM?
    For the High cluster you are going to need to make your own wiring harness as BMW no longer makes the retrofit kit.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1996 e39 520i
    Alright guys,
    Thanks to the info provided by all of you I went through the retrofit yesterday.
    I bought a used hight cluster from a 2002 525 i also coded the vin on my LCM ( previously swapped by the previous owner but uncoded) to match the vin of the high cluster i bouggt until I can code both after the retrofit is done.
    So I took the dash out and started to make my own harness. I've also noticed that
    1- i had no wire going to the bc remote control so i added that
    2- the previous owner while attempting to wire a MID, he spliced into the k-BUS wire from the IHKA for rhe MID and radio so i disconnected that.
    3- I also disconnected the wire which connects both joint connectors of the I-BUS and K-BUS in the box behind the glove box. And I ran a new I-BUS wire from the cluster to that joint connector.
    4- I also found that i had no CAN_R_H, CAN_R_L, CAN_H or CAN_L in my old cluster wiring, also the wires for two of them are bridged in the new cluster plugs. So i thought about pulling those from the ABS module but they were not there also so I might pull them from the DME or the EGS module.
    It was getting late so i decided to reconnect the battery, plug in the cluster and see how it goes while the car is stationary.
    As I expected I had no RPM signal (because no can signals maybe?)
    I also had no check control messeges (because ibus needs to be connected to the LCM yet)
    I now have abs and asc lights on and i don't know why
    Also the gear selectors are showing PRND no matter where the gear selector is actually at.
    I'm still in the garage trying to figure these out one by one. So if anyone could help it'd be awesome
    Thanks alot

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Nice. Kudos for ripping out the poorly done wiring mistakes by the PO.

FYI - to change the VIN in the cluster to match yours, you need to de-solder chips and replace with a 'virginized' one. So your 'reverse' fix on that is probably as good as you're going to get for now.

You probably will need to recode the new late-production cluster to match your very old car using NCSExpert. How much will work fine as-is is a good question... In a number of cases you might have 2 options..... or perhaps only one or the other will work...
    1. wire up the cluster the way it works in the late-cars
    2. recode the cluster to look for information the way it is in your old car.

The late-E39 high cluster you have will currently be coded to:
    - Look for transmission data from the EGS via CAN-bus
    - Look for ABS module (ASC or DSC) data via CAN-bus
    - Look for other engine data via CAN-bus

There are a load of parameters in the cluster concerning CAN data and whether the cluster should look for that data on the CAN bus or get it elsewhere.

So - for sure first thing I would do would be get that CAN-bus wired up (should use a twisted pair of wires BTW).
    Don't worry about the CAN_R pins yes they seem to just be bridged in all cases that I can find. Must be to support some rare / alternate / E38 / never-used configuration or something.

The way a late car would wire CAN to the cluster would be via 'master' CAN splices behind the glove box. All the main modules connect their CAN-bus there. The splice numbers seem to change in the diagrams but seems like the basic location is the same, and while WDS doesn't have a picture for the old cars, I bet its roughly the same?

http://www.bmw-planet.net/diagrams/r...9_EX18835A.htm

RPM:

Just getting that in place should sort out your RPM issue as I doubt the RPM data is not available on the CAN. However, the cluster parameter for it is:
    CAN_DREHZAHL - CAN_BUS tachometer

And if you flipped that it would probably start working immediately.

Gear selector:

And - assuming your EGS is sending the data on the bus - hopefully will sort out your gear selector issue.

Personally I'd try to get gear display working that (the 'updated' comms) way... but... if that doesn't work here's a coding value you could flip.
    CAN_GANGANZEIGE - CAN-BUS gear display

ABS/ASC:

Then - from looking at the WDS - it does seem like early base cars like yours had no CAN wires to the ABS/ASC module... However - good news, digging deeper, the actual ABS/ASC module seems indeed to support CAN comms, even if the car isn't configured for that from the factory.

Pins 61 and 63 specifically:
    http://www.bmw-planet.net/diagrams/r.../E39_PA52A.htm

So... just like the EGS... maybe if you wire up your ABS/ASC module to the CAN bus it will transmit the info required and the ABS/ASC lights will disappear.
    Or... perhaps you'll have to play with the CAN coding settings to make a custom hybrid coding.

The ABS related CAN settings seem to be:
    CAN_ASC - CAN-BUS ASC
    CAN_EBV - CAN-BUS Electronic brake force (should be not-enabled anyway for E39...)

With luck by just adding CAN bus (again - used twisted pair wires!) to the cluster and ABS/ASC, maybe it will all magically work... but if not you should be able to get there...

Lastly - I'd strongly suggest backing up the current coding for your cluster before you start tweaking, its always good to have a backup of settings in case you forget what you changed and/or otherwise need to restore.

Good luck!
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    It’s normal and expected for the CAN_R pins to be bridged. That’s how the 120 ohm CAN terminal resistor is wired on E39s.

My Cars
    1996 e39 520i
    First, i'd like to thank you for reading and replying to my long post. It's very comforting knowing that there are people willing to help and i hope this thread helps future searchers.
    Ok so while i was reading your post i was actually looking for a pieace of wire to connect the can signals but i was going to splice into the dme or egs harnesses but now i'll look for these CAN splices you mentioned and hope for the best.
    Regarding coding, i know how to code using ncs expert but now when trying to read or write to the new IKE it gives an error, it's worth mentioning that now neither the ike nor the ews belong to the car originally as the EWS was replaced when the previous owner swaped in the m52b28 engine so the ews is from that donor car.
    So after starting ncs expert and choosing a profile and then choosing a module to read zcs from it gives an error if i choose IKE although it does not give the same error if i choose ews.
    If i choose ews i can read and code other modules but not the ike as it appears as kom and gives an error.
    Also i'm scratching my head now trying to figure out why engine temp needle is up to the red zone!!? Any idea?
    But on the bright side after codimg the lcm to understand that it's connected to a high cluster the mid now works, the 20 character cluster display is showing lots of check messeges including trans failsafe prog don't know why though. And i can't get the door open message to appear although it's coded in the LCM to report check messages about open doors.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Aaaaaahhhh "CAN_R" = CAN Resistor. Got it. So it must be onboard behind one of those pins I guess.

Re: NCSExpert - yes that's probably because NCSExpert reads the "ZCS" (i.e. configuration) data from your car, and decides "oh this car has a super old low cluster".

Try this. After you read the ZCS from the car (doesn't matter if its not the exact right one from EWS), go 'Back', and 'Process ECU' and pick IKE.
    That will change the job parameters to whatever cluster you have now, but just leave it for the moment.
    Then click 'Back' again, click 'Choose ECU', and you should have a whole list of possible E39 module-variants listed.
    Choose KMBI_E38.C12 and then try Reading ECU. That should be the high cluster variant that the late model car had.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1996 e39 520i
    I tried what you suggested but when i click process ecu there is no IKE so if i choose kmb the back then choose ecu then kmbi e38 c12 then read ecu the following error appears
    Error by setting ECU
    COAPI-1100: ECU not included in the ecu determining IKE

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Can you post your GM, SA, and VN strings here?

My Cars
    1996 e39 520i
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Can you post your GM, SA, and VN strings here?
    If I choose ews (which is from a donor car) when starting ncs expert it shows
    GM: 53210003T
    SA: 00008A1004000040J
    VN: 0000002440P
    If i choose IKE it gives an error
    Central coding key is faulty
    Coapi-1081: faulty gm-key (c1)
    Ffffffffy
    And only displays vin of the cluster donor car

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    When you say the EWS is from a donor car, you mean not your current car, right? If so that might not be too helpful.

I think there's a printout of the factory ZCS codes somewhere near the battery on E39s.

My Cars
    1996 e39 520i
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    When you say the EWS is from a donor car, you mean not your current car, right? If so that might not be too helpful.

I think there's a printout of the factory ZCS codes somewhere near the battery on E39s.
    Yes the previous owner swapped it while doing a b28 swap.
    I looked near the battery and couldn't find anything. There must be something else
    The car has had a couple of retrofits along its life, like power folding mirrors, electric steering column, etc. Is there like a zcs generator where you put what options your car has and generate the appropriate zcs maybe?
    Can I extract it some how from the old kom cluster?

Any way it's 5 am and today only i have worked on the car for 16 hours I was hoping to complete the IKE retrofit but I spent most of the time diagnosing whats still not working.
    Regarding the can signals, i couldn't fine the can splices behid glove box i guess my car don't have them so I ran 2 can wires from the DME to the cluster and now rpm and selector indicator work, I ran anothe 2 can signals to the abs module but nothing happend and i still have the asc and abs lights on. Maybe my asc module is so old it does not support can signals?
    So what is working? Almost everything : speed, rpm, fuel consumption, engine temp, and i'm getting check comtrol messeges and i have bc functions.
    What's not working?
    I have a check engine light, asc and abs lights, yellow brake signal light, a light of what looks like 2 cars behind each otheres, doing a scan for errors on the dme shows intake air temp, i've had this error sonce i got the car and never lit a check engine light, scanning IKE shows gong error which i didn't connect yet and CAN ASC error something like that.
    Also i have notced that although abs and asc lights are on they are avtually working and i can switch off asc using the button but the light in the dash is always on.
    Any ideas?

My Cars
    1996 e39 520i
    Also i occasionally get a trans failsafe prog for a couple of seconds and then dissapears.

My Cars
    1996 e39 520i
    Ok here is an update. A good one
    After some searching i came across an application called ZEKO to modify GM, SA, and VN. I used the ews data as a basis although its not 100% accurate for my car because as i said it was a used part replaced long ago. But i used its data and added option s555 which is OBC and wrote the new GM, SA, and VN to the new cluster and now i'm able to read and code the cluster using ncs expert as KMBI_E39.C12.
    After some coding i was able to turn off asc and yellow brake light and also a check engine light
    The parameters i modified were
    Can_instr2_senden and can_instr3_senden both to nicht_active
    Also HBA which is hydraulic brake assist to nicht active
    Can_flag to info_konventionell
    Can_asc to konventionell

Unfortunatly i still have the abs light on although can_abs was already set to konventionell not can bus
    Any ideas?

My Cars
    1996 e39 520i
    Ok another update not a good one
    I have noticed that i lost my gear display so i reverted to a backup and modified parameters one by one
    I noticed that can_flaf if switched of the check engine light turns off but i lose my selected gear display and if turned on i get my gear display back but also the check engine light
    How to get around this?

My Cars
    1996 e39 520i
    Ok looks like turning can_flag off turns off any onfro to the cluster over can bus and it seems that my cluster does not have any other source for gear position display so it does not know it
    I have to dig deeper into how the cluster understands gear position display
    Anybody have any idea?

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Sorry I missed your updates. Yes ZEKO can edit the ZCS as you've found, but its not the friendliest thing in the world and can be fussy and buggy IME. There are some other "SA generators" out there too but none seem perfect.

I'm guessing your guess is correct re: your ASC module... probably too old to support CAN.

No you definitely need can_flag on, the cluster still needs to talk minimally over the CAN bus to the EGS (trans module) as you've discovered. I believe the DME will only speak to the cluster via CAN as well. I'm assuming your motor is an early M52, maybe MS41.0? If so maybe there's some weird incompatibility issue...

Do you perhaps just have actual codes in the DME which are triggering your check engine light!?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast