Thread: Clutch switch delete or bypass

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3

Clutch switch delete or bypass

Getting ready for 4 days of tracking and I was adjusting my clutch stop for a shorter throw and of course the car would not start. So I did a little search and found a thread from 8 years back and thought I would just add my version of the clutch switch delete. Steeling some pics I found on the web:
    Number one is the switch and you can verify by pushing the plunger down and starting the car. Proper safety precautions should be followed. My car was on the lift so it was not going anywhere.
    You can cut two of the wires and short them if you wish. If you want to get the switch out of there you pull the red collar up/out towards the top of the plunger. This allows you squeeze the middle of the white clip and push the switch out towards the firewall. Careful not to break it if you want to keep it and pushing the collar and plunger back in allows you to get it out.
    On the back is the typical BMW three wire slide clip and you can remove the switch to do what you want. The switch is held together by about 5 or 6 tabs that you can work out one at a time with a pick or small screwdriver. Once you get the switch open you can remove the spring and the make up of the switch will show you why it is no big deal if you choose to just short the two colors, not the brown. You can also glue something to the end of the plunger in effect making it longer while other just zip tied it closed. I think if you chose that route pulling the spring is a good idea. It might also be beneficial to test it before sticking it back in
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUzK...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Cobra1956; 06-06-2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: video added
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    125.jpgTook some pictures today before sticking the switch back in:
    Switch will look like this in the car. My fingers represent the frame around it.

Slide the red collar forward. The collar lock the tabs that hold the switch in your car.
    126.jpg
    Now you can push the two tabs down, one on top and one on the bottom, that hold the switch in. and push the switch out towards the firewall. If you do not have enough room to get it out just push the red collar and the plunger back into the body of the switch.
    127.jpg
    The switch is held together by by little tabs that you can pry out using a pick or small screwdriver. You can use a hairdryer to warm the plastic making it a bit more flexible.
    Once all of the tabs are popped open slide slowly pull the switch apart.
    128.jpg129.jpg

You can remove the spring and keep it. If you you want to go back to stock you have it. Put the switch back together. If you push the plunger down you will feel the resistance the collar provides. You can hook it up and test that the car starts. If so pull the collar back out and insert the switch back into your car. Remember the collar needs to be extended to get it back in so do not forget to push the switch and collar back in. Last pics in next post
    Last edited by Cobra1956; 07-04-2018 at 01:53 AM.

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    Some will cut the wires. Some used tape or zip ties on the switch. Some used Velcro.
    I chose to do it this way because you can go back to stock if necessary and there is no pressure on the switch so in the event a zip tie or something comes loose you aren't back to where you were before you started....or didn't start as it were.
    130.jpg131.jpg132.jpg133.jpg

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    Bit of a bump, but thanks for the post, it was exactly the solution I was looking for. I'll definitely lose the spring somewhere, so I ended up taping it to the back side of the sensor body
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3