Thread: ABS/DTC lights, Error codes 5DFO/5DF1, steering angle signal odd

My Cars
    Not a BMW

ABS/DTC lights, Error codes 5DFO/5DF1, steering angle signal odd

Hello all, I have a 2007 Z4M Coupe, and I recently pulled it out of the garage after winter storage and have all the DTC/ABS/Brake warnings lit up. The codes read 5DF0/5DF1, and my research shows that aside from the ABS pump/module, the Steering angle sensor can be at fault. I checked the SAS data, and it looks very odd. At rest, steering wheel centered it reads around 30,000, and while turning it makes its way down in the 100's, and starts to look more normal when turning the wheel left. Should this sensor data read this way, or should it read it normal degrees of rotation. If this sensor is at fault, is there a method of re calibration, or is this a worn brush type issue? I can put up a video of the data stream if that helps.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Hmmmm, are you having any other electrical or electronic issues? Was the battery maintained with a battery tender while the car “slept”? I ask as these cars are rolling computers and wacky voltages cause wacky issues.

Check the battery’s voltage when the:
    - car is off (key not in ignition switch
    - ignition switch in the on positio but the engine off
    - engine idling
    - engine revving at 2000rpm.

Report back your findings.

My Cars
    Not a BMW
    I actually just replaced the battery last month, which I thought solved the problem, as the faults were gone. However, I am unsure if the faults were not present due to the battery being disconnected. I’ll check the voltages when I get home. I ordered a cable to run INPA, hopefully I can see if the pump operates when manually activating. I’ll check back my findings. Thank you for the response

My Cars
    2002 330Ci, 1995 325is
    I got a steering angle sensor code on mine when it had the trifecta. It turned out that it was in error and the problem was the ABS module. Replaced it. Got it coded and no problems since.

My Cars
    Not a BMW
    I do not have any accompanying faults, just the two for the ABS module, however I find the steering data stream from my scanner to be odd. I’d expect it to read in degrees from 0 at center to and negative degrees left or right depending how they decided to show it. My data shows in degrees 0-180 when turning left, but from center turning right it shows 30,000 and then moves progressively throughout 30,000 ish digits. Is this normal? I can’t find any info on what the data stream of the steering angle is supposed to look like.

My Cars
    Not a BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Hmmmm, are you having any other electrical or electronic issues? Was the battery maintained with a battery tender while the car “slept”? I ask as these cars are rolling computers and wacky voltages cause wacky issues.

- engine idling

Okay, so I check the static battery voltage and it was normal at 12.3 volts, and also normal at 14.4 volts at idle. However, I disconnected the negative cable just out of curiosity, and then scanned the car again. The same faults were still there, however they were able to be erased now. I erased them and the lights went out, scanned again, no faults found. Ill test drive the car on my days off to see if it comes back. I really think it has something to do with the car sitting over the winter and the battery getting low.

My Cars
    Not a BMW
    I got my INPA working the other day and had a chance to do more looking into this problem. I was unable to manually activate the pump through INPA, however I did notice that the voltage was lower than it was when I check it last. At idle, it was around 13.6v, and raised when revving. Is this enough of a lack of voltage at idle to cause this problem? Are those voltages normal for this engine? The codes have gone now after reconnecting the battery, but Im not so sure the problem is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post

- engine idling