RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 06 530i cranks but doesn't start (no spark)

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i

06 530i cranks but doesn't start (no spark)

Hi everyone, I have a 2006 BMW 530i (N52), 126K Miles, it cranks but it will not start, there's fuel coming to the injectors but there's no spark.

six months ago the car started to have rough idling right from the start or sometimes it would start fine and then would start jerking while driving it, from what I read and saw I narrowed it down to the vanos solenoids, I replaced them some cheap aftermarket ones, the car ran fine for about a month or two, and then the same symptoms were back and they were worse than ever. One day I tried starting the car but it was so bad I couldn't even drive it, I tried restarting the car a few times hoping it would go away, the car turned off and it hasn't been able to start for three months now.

I've replaced the followings: Battery, Spark plugs, Crank position sensor, DME relay (blue relay), fuel pump relay (light green), Genuine vanos solenoids, also replaced the set of 5 fuses by the DME including the 20A one.

I've checked every fuse in the car, all the wiring looks intact, there is power going to the crank position sensor, the coils, and the vanos solenoids. I have not checked the timing yet (I don't have a scope)

some of the codes the car has thrown at me: P0335, P0102, P0700, P0597, P0122, P0222, P1624, P0700, P1727, P2090, P2088, P1417.

Also have a question, is there any fuses/relays anywhere besides where the DME is located, where battery is located or behind the glove compartment? I really appreciate all of your time, sorry about the long summery.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    You need to perform a scan with a proper BMW diagnostic tool.
    P-codes obtained with a generic scan tool can be very misleading.
    Since I am going to assume one is not readily available,
    clear all codes, attempt a restart,
    perform a new scan with whatever tool available.
    Post back with the new codes displayed.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i
    So I took it to the dealership earlier this week for a diagnostic, there was a fault stored in the DME for a crank position sensor and there was a fault for engine speed stored in the transmission control module. They recommended replacing the crank sensor, I’ve already done that with a new bmw part and it didn’t do the trick, I’m going to try my luck again with a used one this time. Any thoughts??

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    If you have a new BMW CPS then don't bother replacing,
    but check wiring, connections for corrosion or bent pins.
    Then clear codes. If scan tool available - perform new scan.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i
    I’ve already checked the wiring, I’m getting both the 5v and 12v, I’ll have to check the pins.

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    And what about the other fault (fault for engine speed stored in the transmission control module)? It seems to be an auto (I'm not aware of manuals having a module), and if it has a safety feature, it could be preventing the engine from starting for some reason.

You could try resetting the DME as well. It probably won't be enough but at least it would start from a clean slate after all the fault codes thrown at it because of what you mentioned.
    Last edited by Breeze1; 06-20-2018 at 02:40 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    About six months ago, my boss bought an E60 that would only start after about six seconds of cranking, then went into limp mode....running on the cam sensors. Only code was for crank sensor. We replaced it -- twice, to no avail. I ran continuity tests from the DME for the brown and yellow wires to the sensor; they seemed okay. but not perfect.

I de-pinned the DME connector for those two wires, ran new wires to the crank sensor, spliced in a crank sensor plug from a salvage car at the other end, and everything was perfect. (I got a bonus. My boss had bought the car cheap from the previous owner, because the dealership told him he needed a new wiring harness and DME for MANY thousands of dollars.)

. This is a 12 volt sensor. The brown is sensor ground, the yellow is sensor signal. The orange brings 12 volts from the fuse.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Breeze1 View Post
    And what about the other fault (fault for engine speed stored in the transmission control module)? It seems to be an auto (I'm not aware of manuals having a module), and if it has a safety feature, it could be preventing the engine from starting for some reason.

You could try resetting the DME as well. It probably won't be enough but at least it would start from a clean slate after all the fault codes thrown at it because of what you mentioned.
    It’s an automatic transmission, from what the dealership told me the Tran module is connected to DME and when sensor is not sending a signal to the DME, it’s not registering an engine speed to send to the module, any idea of how reset the DME?
    Last edited by halzy; 06-28-2018 at 12:17 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I’d follow bmwdirtracer’s advice to check the wiring and the connectors first.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i
    I replaced the crank position sensor for the 3rd time, all the wiring is good, I have the 12V, ground and the 5V DME signal. Still doesn’t start and there’s still no spark.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The DME signal is a pulse. There is no 5 volts. Either the wires are bad, or the DME is bad.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Any BMW specific codes now?

I am not sure when they started, but some of these later cars would go into immobilizer protection after too many failed starts, but possibly having to do with losing immobilizer rolling code sync due to low battery. There will definitely be codes for that. (Now I bet there isn't a P code for that though).
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    P-codes? Oh, crap, are we dealing with P-codes? I lost that, maybe because of the trip to a dealership.

Halzy, you're lost if you can't talk to all the computers with a BMW specific diagnostic tool.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i
    Whats a good scanner I can get?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Well then, here are some options,
    concerning diagnostic tools,

For a good BMW scan tool, I feel you have 3 options:

• Foxwell nt520:http://www.foxwelltool.com/search/?q=NT520
    • Carly for BMW:http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/
    • INPA software for BMW: Do a search on bimmerforums

I recommended them in no specific order,
      as selection is based more on preference.

INPA is an excellent diagnostic tool,
      but is a proprietary BMW factory tool.
      So all available copies are technically bootleg versions.
      This requires a copy of the INPA software downloaded into a laptop computer,
      along with the correct cables for your particular model of BMW.
      I recommend this only for computer geeks, or the mostly computer savvy among us.

For an affordable standalone unit, Foxwell nt510(nt520 Updated version) is the preferred unit, along with required cables.
      It can scan for BMW codes, among other things, as it can communicate with all BMW modules.

Carly for BMW is an APP,
      and as such, requires a smartphone,
      along with a connection to the OBD2 port in your vehicle,
      supplied either by cable or wireless connection via Bluetooth dongle

CarlyUpdate: Now the full version is $74/year on a recurring subscription
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 07-12-2018 at 05:38 PM. Reason: UPDATE

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    There's now a Foxwell 520, updated version; $160:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOXWELL-NT5...pe!28792!US!-1

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i
    Hello again,
    I purchased a scanner (NT520 Pro), I was able to reset all the codes on the car, the only one that keeps coming back is this:
    A0B4/present, CAS engine start, starter operation.
    Is the car in an immobilizer state, like what
    328 Power 04 was talking about?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Check for clean, tight starter connections,
    along with all engine grounds.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    That code SHOULD represent a bad starter....except your starter is turning the engine, is this correct?

Have you specifically looked at the CAS (Car Access System) for codes? And even the transmission? If you've done a complete-car scan and clear, and the only code which remains is this one, and the starter turns, but the engine doesn't fire, I'd have to guess that the immobilizer is your issue. Can you recheck the CAS itself, for codes, in case all you're reading is the DME codes?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    That CAS error is not for an immobilizer issue. It's for a fault in starter control by the cas.

Is the DME (engine computer) responsive and communicating?

If you didn't save the old errors, I feel like you maybe did yourself a disservice by clearing a bunch of data, which may have hinted as to why it won't start. FWIW, Clearing codes doesn't ever fix anything. No matter what the internet says when they call it a 'reset'.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Yep, that was also my thought. We could have benefited from knowing those codes!

But that's why I asked if there were, perhaps, codes in other computers that had not been read and cleared. Being unfamiliar with the Foxwell unit, I was hoping that the OP had only communicated, and cleared codes from the DME, maybe not the CAS or EGS.

As I mentioned, every time I've seen the "starter" code, it indicated a bad starter.....but, apparently, the starter is turning, so it's not bad.

Halsy: Can you do a "quick test" of all the computers? Please don't erase any more codes....those are the clues we need for diagnosis.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i
    so after about an hour of running tests and scans, I managed to get it to start and the CAS code is gone. However, it still has rough idling from time to time, and specially when I tried to drive it. I got a check engine light, transmission malfunction message and the hand break light is orange and ABS light is on.
    I have a code from the DME: 2AD0 - No message from the transmission control unit, receiver DME, Transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG
    another from the EGS transmission management: 51A7 - No message (engine speed), receiver EGS, transmitter DME-DDE
    And the ABS codes are: 5F76 and 6DCB - DSC: engine management interface

I really appreciate all of your help so far and thank you so much for the quick responses.

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    For some reason this post had completely escaped my attention, sorry

According to the codes you're still getting, there seems to be a communication issue between the DME and the transmission's module, both ways:
    - 2AD0 - No message from the transmission control unit, receiver DME, Transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG
    -
    51A7 - No message (engine speed), receiver EGS, transmitter DME-DDE

You could take a look at the connectors on this:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NE73-USA-01-2006-E60-BMW-530i&diagId=12_1095

And at the "transmission end" of this:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=12_1070

And I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that the ABS and DSC codes are just "byproducts" of what precedes.

About the "P-codes", although they're not ideal, I have to say they pointed me in the right direction more than once; it helps to google them together with the "bmw" keyword. I have googled most of them, and it seems that they can be grouped as follows:
    - transmission module (consistant with the remaining codes above)
    - CPS (already changed)
    - Throttle position sensor (might be related to the CPS one and pointing to the same fault)
    - MAF sensor (low voltage,
    P0102)
    - thermostat heater circuit control open (not related to your current issue)

I would first solve the primary issues (
    2AD0/51A7) and see how the car gets from there. If you can get rid of these two and the jerkiness persists, I would look into the MAF's voltage.
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." Alan K. Simpson.
    5spd E46 "3XX": 328i engine, 330i Intake and exhaust, CAI, 323i diff.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    When we have codes saying "no engine speed", there's no point in looking at MAF and other codes.

Nothing's going to work correctly until all the modules know how fast the engine is turning, and its position.

Step one is to make the DME recognize engine speed and position. We have not departed from the crankshaft position sensor wiring being the primary fault.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412