Thread: Does the Z3 have automatic locks, or not?

My Cars
    bmw z3

Question Does the Z3 have automatic locks, or not?

Hi All,
    From everything I've read it seems the Z3 (mine is an '02 3.0 roadster) doesn't have an automatic locking system activated when you start driving. Seems strange to me since every other car I own has that feature (Land Rover Discovery, Mercedes CLK55 AMG, Ford Mustang, even my son's VW Passat).

But here's the thing: twice now the doors have locked on their own.
    Once, months ago, the locks suddenly locked while I was driving. And then yesterday I was outside of the car while it was running, examining the drainage holes in the rubber seals.
    The doors locked on their own while I was standing there.

So... does this car actually have automatic locking? Or is this a sign that mine is going bad?
    Thanks,
    L
    Last edited by lyunardo; 06-03-2018 at 08:32 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    No, the Z3 predates that horrendous "feature". The E38/39 platforms were the first to have it as an optional setting.

/.randy

My Cars
    bmw z3
    Really? You hate that feature?
    All our other cars have it, and I guess I'm just used to it now.
    Luckily, it's a short reach to the passenger side to lock it there.

Now I just have to figure out why it's locking on it's own sometimes!
    Thanks rf099rkw!

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0
    No need to reach over to the passenger side (but it does work to do so). Just lock your own door with your elbow, or hand for that matter. The other side will look too, as will the trunk and gas door.
    Steve
    '02 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    ...it depands
    I don't believe that bmw offered that feature to Z3.

Did your z3 come with aftermarket alarm system? That may be another explanation. - When I installed the united auto security (UAS), it started doing that. After locking me out twice, it's been turned off as soon as I figured out how. So it might be something to look into as well.
    Last edited by nevan; 06-04-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    My aftermarket alarm system can be programmed to lock the doors automatically (closes the windows too), it's connected to speed sensor.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Yes, I dislike the systems, almost as much as I dislike mirrors that point straight DOW N when in reverse. I especially dislike the GM system that locks all doors as soon as you shift out of park, and you can NOT open them. GM owners apparently require child safety locks on the drivers door. Understand I am constantly moving all sorts of cars around a tight parking lot, in and out of bays, over lifts, on/off trailers, etc.

Are any of your locks sticky, high effort? It used to be a common problem, more so on the E30, the lock sense would trigger due to motion in the bound up linkage.

/.randy

My Cars
    bmw z3
    Hmm, my car doesn't have an alarm system at all. But it does have some type of tracking device installed by a previous owner.
    I have no info on the brand or if it's even active. Just a keychain device that I assume tells the system I'm authorized.
    Maybe that's what's locking my doors for me... sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

No, all my locks work normally. Except for occasionally doing me the favor of locking themselves.
    Sounds like you work for a dealership, eh?

My Cars
    Toyoto, ford
    I dont have alarm system in my own car but I am thinking about to get some tracking device for me

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    If you use the key and hold the lock position (door) all locks will engage (including trunk) - and windows roll up.

“Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.” 无为

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by ZGator View Post
    If you use the key and hold the lock position (door) all locks will engage (including trunk) - and windows roll up.
    I am not sure which year/model op has, but as reference, I believe that feature was offered with MS42+...

...which I miss from my old e46cic... It used to close softop as well.
    Last edited by nevan; 06-07-2018 at 09:11 PM.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    2001 Z3, 2016 Audi Q5
    I have been trying to search for an answer on whether the Z3 has that feauture for a while now because my 01 2.5i does not and im not sure if its just cause like most things on mine are broken.

Are the windows supposed to auto roll down an inch when opening and closing doors too cause mine dont as well?

My Cars
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by speedolover View Post
    I have been trying to search for an answer on whether the Z3 has that feauture for a while now because my 01 2.5i does not and im not sure if its just cause like most things on mine are broken...
    Mine rolls up both windows and locks both doors and the trunk if you hold the key in the door for a few seconds in the lock-position.

...Are the windows supposed to auto roll down an inch when opening and closing doors too cause mine dont as well?
    Not on the roadsters, only the Coupe's do that.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    I have been trying to search for an answer on whether the Z3 has that feauture for a while now because my 01 2.5i does not and im not sure if its just cause like most things on mine are broken.
    My '98 1.9 has it - I thought they all did.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    conversely to the locking feature, all doors unlock and windows roll down if you hold the door key in unlocked position.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    conversely to the locking feature, all doors unlock and windows roll down if you hold the door key in unlocked position.
    Are you sure about that? I have tried to roll down the windows many times by holding the unlock position, but it never works.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    Are you sure about that? I have tried to roll down the windows many times by holding the unlock position, but it never works.
    Mine won't roll down, but will roll up if you get out of the car and then use the key to lock the doors and keep it in the lock position for a bit. BMW has a habit of changing the way these little things work between models and years, so it may work differently on different cars.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    I just tried it and you are are right! it unlocks all the doors, trunk but the windows do NOT go down, sorry all for the disinformation - not sure if that can be programmed in - I was probably confusing with a past present VW or my E90!