Thread: no oil pressure 04 330xi about 100k on engine

My Cars
    93 saab,86 bmw325e

no oil pressure 04 330xi about 100k on engine

my friends car was towed to me with no oil pressure.
    removed oil pressure switch when engine is cranked with spark plugs removed no oil comes out of pressure switch port. oil goes into filter housing when cranked with oil filter cap and filter removed. so the pump must be working somewhat for oil to go into the filter housing

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Remove valve covers,
    what does visual of engine internals reveal?

My Cars
    93 saab,86 bmw325e
    the car has not been started since about christmas.
    what will I be looking for under the valve cover? crank it with cover off and look for oil?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    NO,
    I am trying to get visual confirmation of lubrication neglect.
    Take a picture so we can all see the amount of sludge buildup!

My Cars
    93 saab,86 bmw325e

some history may help

Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    NO,
    I am trying to get visual confirmation of lubrication neglect.
    Take a picture so we can all see the amount of sludge buildup!
    my friend bought this 04 330xi with 157k had a blown engine.I replaced the engine with one from a salvage yard with 99k miles out of a 06 x3. replaced the oil pan gasket and sump tube o ring, OFHG,valve cover gasket,plugs,stewart water pump, rebuilt vanos orings (besian) thermostat, plugs, all pulleys and belts, cold weather ccv pipes and valve, radiator and all coolant hoses and plastic pipes. vacuum hoses,starter, motor and trans mounts, fluids engine,pwr steering, differentials,transfer case. new front struts (bilstein) gkn axles in front, lemforder control arms and bushings and tie rod assemblys. Anyway the engine was clean no sludge. drove beautiful put maybe 9,000 miles and then the red oil light stayed on when started during a cold spell here in Minnesota about 10 below zero. she said oil light stayed on for about 1 minute after the start. then flickerd a few times while driving home 100 miles. next morning started and light stayed on. had car towed to me. oil changed about 1,000 miles prior to this. casrol full syn 5w30 mahle oil filter. new small o rings also. ther while pan gasket and valve cover were off did not have any sludge. What I want to try and find out is if the oil pump is ok because as you know it is major job on the awd car.
    Thanks in advance for any help or ideas

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    OK,you satisfied my curiosity,
    sludge was my primary suspect.
    Now me AND you are all guessing.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 06-05-2018 at 04:01 PM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    We have had the little plastic valves in the oil filter stand fail causing the oil pressure light to come on.vecause if the engine has been run for any period of time with the light on and the engine has not seized, then you have oil pressure

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    If it was running beautiful, as you say,
    before the warning light started flickering, and then stayed on,
    check and clean the connections for the oil pressure switch.
    If no change, replace with a Genuine BMW OE or OEM replacement part.
    I would rather attempt an easy sensor replacement over a difficult oil pump.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Oil can bypass the filter and drain back into the sump if the little (green) o rings on the end of the oil filter cap finger have failed.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    93 saab,86 bmw325e
    The little green o rings were new.
    how come when I crank the engine with the starter motor (spark plugs removed) and I have the oil pressure switch removed no oil comes out that port hole?
    when the oil stand cap and filter are removed and engine cranked oil does come into the canister but doesn't seem like it squirting in there with any velocity. so maybe the oil pump is working but not very well I don't know so far the oil filter looks clean and oil in canister is clean. what if I removed the oil stand from the engine and cranked the engine and if oil came gushing out I would know oil pump is working and maybe the culprit is in oil filter stand?

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    There is a known issue with the M54 oil pump nut coming loose on cars that get tracked/driven hard.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member