RM European Auto Parts

Thread: E46 5-speed manual transmission removal - Help Needed

My Cars
    2011 BMW M3, 2003 330i

E46 5-speed manual transmission removal - Help Needed

I can't get the transmission out. It's stuck. I have about a 3/4" gap between the bell housing and the engine, but I cannot withdraw the transmission any further, nor can I push it back in. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? Any suggestions for how deal with this?

I followed the procedures outlined in the Bentley 3 Series Service Manual: engine support bar hanging from the control arms, transmission jack under the transmission, and rear of the engine tipped downward just short of contact with the firewire.

My Cars
    2011 BMW M3, 2003 330i
    I found a post on E46 Fanatics that might be helpful. Someone suggested that transmission removal can go more smoothly if the starter motor is removed first, even though this is not strictly required. Removal of the intake manifold is necessary to gain access to the starter motor. Presumably, the idea here is that the transmission can get hung up on the starter pinion gear. I get the theory, but I am somewhat doubtful that it actually will solve my problem, because I already have a big enough gap to see the forward edge of the flywheel (could the pinion gear still be engaged with the flywheel ring gear?). Anyhow, I can't think of any other remedy, so I'll try this and report back.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    NO! Removal of the intake manifold is not required to remove the starter. The starter is best done from underneath the car. Furthermore, "removal" of the starter isn't necessary. The starter gear isn't the issue, the dowel is.

Remove the negative battery cable.. Unbolt the two bolts holding the driver's lower control arm. Use a pry bar or huge flat screwdriver to gently pry the starter motor away from the transmission by 3/4", so it's free of the dowel. Make sure to thoroughly sand, clean, and lubricate the dowel and the dowel hole, before reinstalling.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471