Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 1999 E36 M3 Coupe Restomod Project

My Cars
    99 E36 M3, 02 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    I found the Sports a bit too short, too, but I got the 25mm spring pads to alleviate it.

I've thought about getting race springs - they're close in the back and shorter in front if I recall, which is what I'd like, in addition to being stiffer (which I think would benefit the car).

Did you ever drive the car with the race springs? Are they enough stiffer they make a difference?
    The Race springs were quite a bit stiffer; there was less rubbing with them than with the Sport springs. I even switched from the 3mm pad to the 10mm pad in an effort to gain some clearance, but it's not enough with the 9.5" wheel. If you don't mind me asking, where'd you source a 25mm spacer from?

Ryan

My Cars
    99 M3, 13 Tundra TRD
    Subscribed. Curious to hear how your Autoberry issue plays out, I'm planning on purchasing new upholstery for my Vaders in the near future. It looks like yours turned out OK.
    Instagram

Current: 99 M3
    Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
    The Race springs were quite a bit stiffer; there was less rubbing with them than with the Sport springs. I even switched from the 3mm pad to the 10mm pad in an effort to gain some clearance, but it's not enough with the 9.5" wheel. If you don't mind me asking, where'd you source a 25mm spacer from?

Ryan
    Sorry - and not the first time I've mis-remembered the thickness of the convertible pad. It's 15mm.

Though I think you can do one on both the top and bottom. I stacked the original 5mm pad under the 15mm pad to get 20mm total. The 5mm is thin enough to still let the 15mm engage the center hole to remain centered.

That was enough to get me out of hot water for the most part. Though I've got a pretty healthy roll (and a little pull) in the back, especially at that trailing edge where it meets the rear bumper cover.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    99 E36 M3, 02 E39 M5
    Oops. This happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    97 M3 Sedan, 04 Forester
    Now you just need an M3 Sedan. How is the first car doing? Anymore progress? Any plans for the vert?

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Love it!
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    99 E36 M3, 02 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by bowenac View Post
    Now you just need an M3 Sedan. How is the first car doing? Anymore progress? Any plans for the vert?
    First car is just working on details now and fixing the small stuff. New blower motor, playing with springs and spacers to get the ride height set.

Plan with the vert was to clean it up, drive it for the summer here at the beach with a for sale sign in the window. Wifey took it out when it arrived and now has other ideas. 🤣🤷🏼*♂️

I actually landed a crazy deal on an E93 in Florida; hope to fly down next week and drive it back. That’ll be my own project car.

My Cars
    99 E36 M3, 02 E39 M5
    Progress this weekend! Installed the headliner, A, B and C pillars - the interior just awaits the rear seats. Really spent most of my spare time with the 99 M3 convertible; itemized what it needs for an interior color swap and to make the body/paint 100%. The difference between the two cars is amazing - we put so much effort into the restoration of the coupe's interior that the convertible's interior (held together with 4 screws, duct tape, velcro and putty) feels horrid. The wife and kid decided a color-swap for the convertible is in order, so we're going black.

IMG_4995.jpg

IMG_4994.jpg

IMG_4993.jpg

IMG_4991.jpg

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Where did you get that steering wheel?

The seats look to have turned out nice. I assume you solved the problems with the Autoberry covers?
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    99 E36 M3, 02 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    Where did you get that steering wheel?

The seats look to have turned out nice. I assume you solved the problems with the Autoberry covers?
    Steering wheel is from a guy in Germany; purchased on eBay. He does amazing work and the wheel feels/looks fantastic. The level of craftsmanship is pretty impressive.

Autoberry finally supplied the correct rear headrests but we did have to add a bunch of seat foam to make the covers fit. Normally, I'd say it was wear, but the stock seat covers were snug and without any tears. I will say that the leather they use is consistent with OEM; I got samples from another online seller and their leather looks cheap by comparison.

Ryan

My Cars
    98 e36 M3
    Excellent work. Would you mind sharing contact details for the seller (steering wheel) as well as the radio p/n? I love the OEM look!

My Cars
    99 E36 M3, 02 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw4214 View Post
    Excellent work. Would you mind sharing contact details for the seller (steering wheel) as well as the radio p/n? I love the OEM look!
    Radio is this one, sourced from ECS. I installed another one last night in the convertible - so much better than the chromed-out JVC that was in it.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-vdo-part...7412ub-or~con/

The steering wheel was this one, and included the airbag. He has various options in terms of stitching and materials, shown in his other listings. Not cheap, but the craftsmanship is stunning.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M-TECHN...R/222175122879

My Cars
    Imola Red e30, Alpine White 135i
    The interior looks great.

Who was the other seller with cheap looking leather?

My Cars
    E36
    Very nice build. The fact that your daughter is helping out will make her appreciate this much more!

My Cars
    99 E36 M3, 02 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    The interior looks great.

Who was the other seller with cheap looking leather?
    Lseat.com - theirs looked good, but the leather had a lot more grain and was slightly thicker.

My Cars
    2016 M3
    This is a great thread! The transformation is awesome. I love seeing e36s that have been abused or forgotten about brought back to OEM+ glory. I wish I had the skills to do 60% of the work you have. Maybe someday when I have space/time. There was a lot of back and forth on seats. I had mine done with the cover source Germanex Imports in California. I documented mine here: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-to-life/page2 after 3 years they are still in pretty decent shape especially considering the mileage I have put on them/moving etc. My interior shop had to rebuild the inside but the seats I was recovering were pretty beat.

2016 Alpine/Sahkir M3
    Sold: 1995 Estoril/Modena M3 - LTW's, SSK, Euro Lights, X Brace, TCK S/A, ECS, Rogue DMS, Turner Stage 1, BavSound, Leatherz
    Sold: 2005 Imola/Black M3 - Dynavin D99, ZCP Wheels, Eisenmann Sport, BLine Motorsports, CSL Diffuser, Storm Motorwerks
    E36 Build Thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...g-back-to-life
    instagram: nate161514

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Were the door cards/panels redone by you and your family or were they already done before hand? They look like they are in perfect shape!

I looked through the post but might have missed it.

My Cars
    99 E36 M3, 02 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by E85STI View Post
    Were the door cards/panels redone by you and your family or were they already done before hand? They look like they are in perfect shape!

I looked through the post but might have missed it.
    I bought a used pair on eBay. The stock ones were delaminated in the door pocket areas and all of the pockets were separated.

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Fun thread to read - great job! Car looks really good, the satin white wrap is much better than the black.

The door panels you got are from a cabrio (see the passenger side handle). Also thinking maybe Autoberry also sent you rear headrest covers for a cabrio?

Your side turn signals are on backwards, swap them left to right.. the "/" should be angled forward to mirror the wheel arch.
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    99 E36 M3, 02 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post
    Fun thread to read - great job! Car looks really good, the satin white wrap is much better than the black.

The door panels you got are from a cabrio (see the passenger side handle). Also thinking maybe Autoberry also sent you rear headrest covers for a cabrio?

Your side turn signals are on backwards, swap them left to right.. the "/" should be angled forward to mirror the wheel arch.
    Ha - love the eye for details. Correct on Autoberry. I'm going to swap the turn signals tomorrow... might swap door panels to the convertible project as well.

Over the past couple of month it's been stupid hot and humid here, so not much progress. Finished up the suspension, ending up with H&R Sport springs w/ Bilstein B8s. The Sport OE springs were too tall IMHO; the original H&R Race springs too low. Trying to find that balance for the junior unit so she looks sporty without curbing it when she goes over a speed bump.

Finished some small vinyl patch panels on the front bumper today for the fog lights and brake ducts, and finally... bolted everything up.

Also raised the coilovers on the E36 M3 cabrio 1.5" in the front and 1" in the back, installing an Apex Arc-8 +1 square setup at the same time. Removed the front bumper to install the correct clips and a new front spoiler. I love the droptop, but man... the previous owner(s) were experts at half-a**ing stuff.

Ryan

IMG_5654.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
    Ha - love the eye for details. Correct on Autoberry. I'm going to swap the turn signals tomorrow... might swap door panels to the convertible project as well.

Over the past couple of month it's been stupid hot and humid here, so not much progress. Finished up the suspension, ending up with H&R Sport springs w/ Bilstein B8s. The Sport OE springs were too tall IMHO; the original H&R Race springs too low. Trying to find that balance for the junior unit so she looks sporty without curbing it when she goes over a speed bump.

Finished some small vinyl patch panels on the front bumper today for the fog lights and brake ducts, and finally... bolted everything up.

Also raised the coilovers on the E36 M3 cabrio 1.5" in the front and 1" in the back, installing an Apex Arc-8 +1 square setup at the same time. Removed the front bumper to install the correct clips and a new front spoiler. I love the droptop, but man... the previous owner(s) were experts at half-a**ing stuff.

Ryan

IMG_5654.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg
    Looks like they're both really coming together.

And talk about POs half-assing it... My car had some front corner damage at some point in it's life, and after 9 years I finally decided I wanted to get my horn back to normal. It wasn't something I'd ever looked at, and when I found them, they were both there. I pulled them, and they'd installed two of the same tone / note. WTF? At least it doesn't sound like a Kia anymore.

I really shouldn't ask this question, but what did you do with the race springs? I don't want (can't really handle) lower given my wheel selection, but stiffer would be good. I assume if you had the OEs first you have 95 hats (like I did) and had to order 95 springs?

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    UFO
    Man I wish I had black interior, but I somehow can't get away from dove! I also have a 99' M3 and have the same passenger door card (handle wise). Is the door card installed correct? It looks like the convertible handle which I've seen both handles in realoem. I'm completely lost on this. Can anybody chime in? Besides mine, I've seen a few other late models with the vert style grip. I just didn't know if this is correct. Maybe Brett can chime in for us. Thanks!
    CURRENT: LimeRockParkEdition E92 M3 - BSM/Silverstone E70 X5M - AW/Dove E36 M3
    PAST: Techno/Dove E36 M3 - Techno/Dove E36 M3 - LSB/Black E46 M3

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by VLT View Post
    Man I wish I had black interior, but I somehow can't get away from dove! I also have a 99' M3 and have the same passenger door card (handle wise). Is the door card installed correct? It looks like the convertible handle which I've seen both handles in realoem. I'm completely lost on this. Can anybody chime in? Besides mine, I've seen a few other late models with the vert style grip. I just didn't know if this is correct. Maybe Brett can chime in for us. Thanks!
    I always see a lot of dove hate, but I've always really liked it. But then again, I like the contrast. I got a bright finish on my wheels, too, instead of the black or anthracite.

My Cars
    99 E36 M3, 02 E39 M5
    Coupe is pretty much done. Last piece inside is a sagging headliner on the sunroof panel, but there’s plenty of time to fix that yet. Drives great, everything works.

Ended up swapping wheels back to black powdercoated stock ones so I didn’t have to roll things or worry about rubbing. Perfect height for a new driver with the H&R OE Sport springs, IMHO.

Daughter replacing the FSR:

All buttoned up:

Box on the roof is new rear headrests:

My Cars
    99 E36 M3, 02 E39 M5
    The beater droptop got much love too, as I’ve been on a mission to undo the ghetto work done by the previous owner. Just about there - need a warm day to install the new top and swap the black seats in.

Ended up installing a new nose, bumper, lights and repairing the chips in the hood and dents in the fender where it bottomed out. Welded the holes from an old aftermarket spoiler on the trunk, repaired a dent and crease in the driver’s side quarter, fixed chipped/flaking paint on the rear bumper and refinished the driver’s side sideskirt in the correct variant of Estoril Blue.

New plugs and coils has it running smooth. Likely swapping the CAI for an AFe when I finish cleaning up under the hood.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast