Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 740i sleeper build

My Cars
    325xi; 740i

740i sleeper build

Greetings everyone I have decided to talk with you E34 guys since there is a lot more 540i than 740i and 740i guys don't typically modify their cars much.

I have managed to come across a M60B40 Alunsil block with 72k on it that is now sitting in my garage pending reseal. I have come to the conclusion that I want to do a sleeper build with a manual 6sp swap and im looking for 550-600hp possibly more.

I saw a thread a while ago with a 740i 6sp swap (Getreg 420g) and for the life of me cannot find it. What I remember is that 99% of it was bolt on, the only special items was plumbing for the clutch and tricking the ECU.
    Also, I have heard on one side that the 420g is used in 700+hp cars while on the other hand I heard that it cant take much power.

I have three options that I would want to pursue.
    1. Supercharge and add nitrous conservatively to my new engine.
    2. Twin turbo my new engine.
    3. Build my old engine with the M62 bottom end, performance cams, and supercharge.

My possible issue with 2 is I don't quite want to spend $6k on just custom turbo manifolds/exhaust since I have no skills with welding or matching header length.

Any input is appreciated as I am having to go at this alone. This thread also serves as a build thread.
    New Daily:
    2011 Audi A6 Avant 3.0T prestige. 1 of 368

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Fresh 72k mile engine with all new seals. True E34 Manual Trans Engine Harness. 6spd Transmission Swap, Getrag 420G. RHD LW Single Mass Flywheel. E39 M5 Clutch. E39 M5 Shifter. Factory Car Phone. Factory 6CD Changer. Factory Electric Sunshade. Not So Factory Factory Electric/Heated Rear Seats. E38 Heater Valves. E43 M5 calipers/brakes

Sold:
    1996 Oldsmobile Aurora; 194k miles but with a bad paint job and dented fender resulting in a payout to buy the 740i

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    I can't help you much on achieving your higher horsepower numbers, but I have done the transmission swap on an e34 and you are correct; 95% is bolt on. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that might not be as straightforward is possibly having to modify your driveshaft.

It's been years since I've read it, but the swap thread you are reminding me of is possibly from a guy named paulmer, or some variation of that? Like I said, it's been a few years but he did an e32 6spd swap following e34 swap threads and they seemed nearly identical. Hope that helps.

Your build sounds ambitious and fun and I'll be following. Good luck!
    Last edited by Sir Montalbon; 06-01-2018 at 11:40 PM.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    I assume E32, not E38.

Power upgrades: there's no low-hanging fruit for the M6x, and what does hang higher is still sparse, and expensive. Search for DUDMD's (single) turbo build thread. There's not much room for plumbing, especially on the driver's side. CF superchargers seem easiest to package, unless you custom-make a twin-screw manifold. Which would be, on paper at least, the best way to get what you want. No personal experience, but I've seen the 420G in 800whp cars with no mention of failure. I've heard of one failing in a 1000+whp drag car. My data point on these transmissions is ~half-dozen driven, and owned one that handled 296wft-lb and 3500-4000+ curb weight at 250k+ miles without issue.

Manual swap: it'll drive ok with no ECU trickery, just a manual starter relay. You'll have a TRANS PROGRAM message that is cured by grounding one wire in the e-box. Depending on your chip and flywheel, you may have RPMs hanging a bit between shifts.

Clutch plumbing could be OEM with a 540iM reservoir (shared with the 530iM and some E23 and some others) and otherwise 735iM parts, which I'm 90% sure are the same as E34, or there might be clearance issues with M30/M60 differences, but in either case you're better off simplifying it with a short hard line to form a U at the slave, and a generic stainless steel braided brake hose ~1.5 feet long to join it to the master. This fit and worked great on my 544iT. Pedals should work from a 735iM and I bet it's the same part anyway as an E34's, which are all the same. E34 clutch masters are also all the same. 420G clutch slave is specific to that trans, though it fits a modified E31 slave for use with an E31 clutch (and flywheel, probably).

Driveshaft will have to be custom. AFAIK there was never a factory 740iM (there was for E38). Assuming stock 740i parts, you'll need to have yours' forward section lengthened. The giubos on the autos and manuals are the same PCD, probably the same part.

RealOEM is helpful for checking interchanges. It's easy to figure out, slightly tedious to use, 99% correct, 97% complete, and very useful. It can give false negatives (two parts have different PNs but are identical) but has never given me a false positive.

Not sure about shift linkage. You may have to trim a slot in the driver's kickpanel. You may need a custom shifter surround (sheet of plywood with some nice veneer). Cruise control will require a clutch cancel switch, at least.

paulmer converted, IIRC, a 740iL to a 6-speed. IMHO, a SWB 7-series is a bit pointless compared to a 5 (I DDed both a 735iM and a 535iM for a little while), but an iL with three pedals is the queen's bollocks... or whatever it is they say over there. 740 or 744iLM was a close second choice when the first was a 544iTM.
    Last edited by moroza; 06-02-2018 at 05:52 AM.

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    I have an e32 740i manual swap it’s alot of fun. Everything bolts right in from an e34. pedal box, shift selectors, ect. You need a custom front half of the drive shaft, in my car I used a 5spd from an m60b30 I have my front drive shaft extended and flanged with the proper flange for the trans. I also ran a 3.15 diff vs the 2.93/92? Original gears of the 740i. I did not build my car as a “race car” But I can easily reach speeds of 150+ , the 740i is almost the exact weight of an e34 540 once the million pound auto is removed. You will also need to byplass the trans cooler in the back of the motor I just used a piece of hose and looped it. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM or I’ll answer here.
    Last edited by e30luv318i; 06-02-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    Here are a few pix of mine

Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    Its great to hear that a manual conversion is mostly bolt on. I was looking at my garage engine and it came from a manual car so it does not have the trans wiring and the rear coolant crossover does not have the ports for trans cooling. The rear crossover at least helps with the conversion. Which leads me to question, if I'm understanding these old computers correctly then the DME is the only one that would think the car is an auto which would be corrected with the tune/EPROM swap whereas the E46 saves it in three different modules. Unfortunately, the previous owner of the engine took the flywheel when it was removed from the car so the question is lightweight flywheel or standard dual mass. I saw ECS has a lightweight flywheel and OE Sachs clutch combo but I doubt the OE clutch could stand much more than factory power, unfortunately.
    New Daily:

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Fresh 72k mile engine with all new seals. True E34 Manual Trans Engine Harness. 6spd Transmission Swap, Getrag 420G. RHD LW Single Mass Flywheel. E39 M5 Clutch. E39 M5 Shifter. Factory Car Phone. Factory 6CD Changer. Factory Electric Sunshade. Not So Factory Factory Electric/Heated Rear Seats. E38 Heater Valves. E43 M5 calipers/brakes

Sold:
    1996 Oldsmobile Aurora; 194k miles but with a bad paint job and dented fender resulting in a payout to buy the 740i

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    When making a two and a quarter ton car quick you'll soon discover that there really is no replacement for displacement. You can ruin your checkbook trying to spank four liters hard enough for big power or just drop a bigger lump in there and be done with it. A $1000 junkyard LS will make an M6X with less than five figures thrown at it look like a booger.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    A manual e32 740i sounds a great project. 600bhp @ crank is pretty achievable with the std engine and just supercharging. Prob have to run close to 1bar and get the fueling correct which is always the difficulty with forced induction beyond what the ess and Dinan kits offer. A standalone computer or good interceptor computer is mandatory. As so is some reasonable financial investment. No making this sort of build on a student budget.
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    84 E24 M635csi standalone ecu with coil on plug
    94 E34 540i/6 SC 5-17psi Flex fuel/standalone ecu
    97 Z3 2.8
    97 E36 M3 euro SC still u/c

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    E34T
    Quote Originally Posted by yukon101 View Post
    the DME is the only one that would think the car is an auto which would be corrected with the tune/EPROM swap whereas the E46 saves it in three different modules.
    The CCM is responsible for throwing the TRANS PROGRAM message. The DME has slightly different maps for the auto, and it's unclear whether a chip is enough or if the whole DME needs to be from a 540iM or 530iM.

Unfortunately, the previous owner of the engine took the flywheel when it was removed from the car so the question is lightweight flywheel or standard dual mass. I saw ECS has a lightweight flywheel and OE Sachs clutch combo but I doubt the OE clutch could stand much more than factory power, unfortunately.
    LWFW, unequivocally. If single-mass (there are such things as lightweight dual-mass flywheels, but rare and not for these engines that I know of), use a sprung clutch.

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    When making a two and a quarter ton car quick you'll soon discover that there really is no replacement for displacement. You can ruin your checkbook trying to spank four liters hard enough for big power or just drop a bigger lump in there and be done with it. A $1000 junkyard LS will make an M6X with less than five figures thrown at it look like a booger.
    I am not entirely opposed to an LS swap but I feel like its all too common. In the end it would probably cost near the same having custom engine mounts/trans mounts made, trying to make a T56 shifter the right length to work with the car, and making/finding an oil pan to work with the sub frame. That's what I think at least, I could be entirely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by GazM3 View Post
    A manual e32 740i sounds a great project. 600bhp @ crank is pretty achievable with the std engine and just supercharging. Prob have to run close to 1bar and get the fueling correct which is always the difficulty with forced induction beyond what the ess and Dinan kits offer. A standalone computer or good interceptor computer is mandatory. As so is some reasonable financial investment. No making this sort of build on a student budget.
    I was thinking an ESS kit with a smaller pulley/different blow off valve to pull 13-14 psi (1 bar) which shouldn't be out of the realm of stock internals. Then with menthol/water injection to cool the charge air for more air density and prevent piston hotspots. Nitrous is a possibility too but refilling it can really be a pain at times. I was already figuring on a standalone EFI system with a MAP sensor, just have to figure out what system would be best to use the factory coils.
    Last edited by yukon101; 06-03-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    New Daily:

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Sold:

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    I would have thought the ess will need proper intercooling for this boost. 9-10 psi maybe water and meth. I had to change a stack of stuff on the ess and re-enforce the bracket as there was no bracing for front to back movement.
    I run an air to air intercooler but had to lose the AC as with it the condenser was hard up against it.
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    97 Z3 2.8

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    I would have thought the ess will need proper intercooling for this boost. 9-10 psi maybe water and meth. I had to change a stack of stuff on the ess and re-enforce the bracket as there was no bracing for front to back movement.
    I run an air to air intercooler but had to lose the AC as with it the condenser was hard up against it.
    You're the first one I have seen who has had an issue with bracketry. Luckily I know the E32s have a lot more engine bay space frontwise, I would like to do an electric fan conversion to have less of a draw on the engine but one of my goals is to keep AC functional.

I need to finish resealing the engine and drop it in before all else.
    New Daily:

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Sold:

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    I fully encourage building up your M60. As much as I love the manual trans and it's street fun, an auto trans will be faster. Not top end faster, but stop light to stop light faster.

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykk View Post
    I fully encourage building up your M60. As much as I love the manual trans and it's street fun, an auto trans will be faster. Not top end faster, but stop light to stop light faster.
    I appreciate the encouragement in building my M60, it's just something about knowing that the car is truly all BMW and not like a GM in a BMW chassis. It depends on the cost of getting my A6S-560Z built with either OE parts or the bulletproofing kit (it currently doesnt feel like it has too much life left in it) vs just swapping in a manual. My big drive for this build right now is my coworkers, here at the Ford dealership, bragging about their GT Mustangs and their uhm *clears throat* "trips to Mexico" and I wish to show them what a real car can do while still looking and handling like a well-composed automobile (all legally of course because street racing is bad ).

P.S. I am not building it simply to show off. I am building it because it has always been my dream to own a sleeper, the large space of an E32 engine bay and its timeless look just sold it for me. (I also don't ever want to sell the car even with 308k on the chassis because of how much I enjoy it and how few there are left)
    Last edited by yukon101; 06-03-2018 at 07:33 PM.
    New Daily:

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Sold:

My Cars
    E34T
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykk View Post
    That depends on the speed of the towtruck you'll need after one stoplight launch with 500+hp. Assuming the stock trans or anywhere near it.

My Cars
    '06 X5/6spd 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    That depends on the speed of the towtruck you'll need after one stoplight launch with 500+hp. Assuming the stock trans or anywhere near it.

You remember the dude that was a friend of Kris’s? Janders211 or something? At one point he had a supercharged auto 540. I would assume stock trans? Definitely nowhere near 500 ponies though.

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    I did some reading on throwing in the bullet proofing kit into my 5HP-30 making it good for 700hp, the kit alone is $1k. I would enjoy learning how to rebuild an auto however I don't have a shop press myself nor would I want to try it without oversight from someone who has. If I were to send in the trans it would cost nearly $5k to have it built. I am thinking I can get a Getrag 420g for around $700, ill have to text my parts guy. Here's some pictures of how everything is sitting so far.
    IMG_20180524_204004.jpgIMG_20180603_155107.jpgIMG_20180607_170054.jpgIMG_20180524_184049.jpg
    New Daily:

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Sold:

My Cars
    E34T
    Eww. Someone let that RMS go way too long.

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Eww. Someone let that RMS go way too long.
    I totally agree, the engine only has 72k on it too. Part of it though is that the engine came from a manual car too so all the clutch dust doesn't help.
    New Daily:

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Sold:

My Cars
    E34T
    That does mitigate it slightly. At first I thought it was painted or powdercoated, then thought it was a diesel, then puked a little when reality set in.

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    With work and an extra high paying project (details in a bit) I was finally able to get some work done on my M60 and it has now had 98% of the grease removed.
    Attachment 631801Attachment 631802

Now for the fun stuff.

My friend an electrician, a tradesman like myself, just three weeks ago bought an 07 Audi S6 with a 5.2L V10. He texted me saying every once in a while on startup it would "rattle/shake and sound like a diesel" which meant it was misfiring so I told him to just drop it off at my house and id give him a ride back to his house so he could drive his old car. Once I got back home I popped the hood and a coolant line off the expansion tank blew up in my face, that line was a plastic T off a rubber hose that snapped in half, low and behold Audi doesn't offer just that part you have to order that entire system of three hoses that connect the expansion tank, intake, and upper radiator hose. $180 later that system of hoses is ordered (I am of course reimbursed for parts and labor). Once that system was removed I found the nipple off the upper radiator hose was about to snap too, at that point he just authorized me to write and invoice of parts/labor. That upper radiator hose was another $100 for less than a foot of rubber and a bit of plastic. Finally I was able to get to the concern at hand and I started pulling the coils, the first coil I pulled was just swimming in oil nearly 3/4 of the way up. $200 later valve cover gaskets are ordered. I pull the spark plugs to see if its been burning rich due to a carboned up intake (very common on the direct injection engines) and I found that the spark plugs were still the original VW NGKs (car has 88k, spark plugs on this engine should be done at around 60k) and they were covered in ash not burning rich. Another $180 for plugs. I start to pull the CCV system for the car and I decided I wanted some tea so I tell him how to pinch the clips and pull it off and low and behold it snaps in half in his hands (same kind of plastic piping the M54 uses) we then find the dealership the car was at previously butchered it already and jerry-rigged it back together. Another $225 later that is ordered too. (All prices listed are just parts no labor) This fun ordeal working on an engine used in an exotic car (R8 and shares some parts with the Lamborghini Gallardo) has taught me that while cool to work on and drive, I will never own one due to ridiculous part prices. Here's some fun pics (I have tons more pictures but I don't want to spam Audi stuff lol)
    IMG_20180610_161928.jpgIMG_20180612_175708.jpgIMG_20180610_220034.jpg
    Last edited by yukon101; 06-17-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    New Daily:

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Sold:

My Cars
    E34T
    All the BS you describe notwithstanding, be thankful everything for this job was up at the top, and not buried. I used to work at a VW indy that also serviced a lot of Audis. Most of their part prices seemed ok, coming from BMW anyway, but there's a special place in my hell for the imbeciles who are in charge of Audi mechanical packaging and details of assembly. Working on them can be such a nightmare that there were certain jobs that my boss, with 40+ years of experience as a VW specialist, two good underlings, all three of us gung-ho can-do get-it-done optimists, and a shop full of VAG special tools, would refuse point blank. I can think of few cars worse to own than not only an Audi, and not only one with an extra-shoehorned engine, but with Lamborghini-level parts prices to boot. Do. Not. Want.

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    After a not so productive week, I have little progress to report. I pulled the passenger side upper timing cover now, I tried to break loose the "Jesus bolt" with my 1/2 inch drive breaker bar and a three-foot cheater bar and only lifted the engine. I may try my impact that advertises a 1200 ft lb breakaway torque (Dewalt half inch). I got in contact with my BMW "parts guy" and after some talking, I talked him into selling me his Getrag 420g for $1k. He originally was never going to sell it even with the many offers he had for a personal build but he liked my build so much he decided to let it go. It comes with the trans and shifter, just needs a knob. I have started a spreadsheet for clutch parts too.

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    I fitted the large 280mm clutch/LW flywheel from the 850csi with custom tailings. Not a full paddle clutch and it works almost OEM like and more importantly it don’t slip at all with c/600bhp to hold. I prob could have got away with a full organic plate but I didn’t want to replace it for the 3rd time
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    97 Z3 2.8

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    325xi; 740i
    I fitted the large 280mm clutch/LW flywheel from the 850csi with custom tailings. Not a full paddle clutch and it works almost OEM like and more importantly it don’t slip at all with c/600bhp to hold. I prob could have got away with a full organic plate but I didn’t want to replace it for the 3rd time
    I was looking at the LW flywheel from RHD engineering and running the OE E34 M5 clutch with it just not sure how much torque one could take.
    New Daily:

----FOR SALE-----
    04 BMW 325xi 143k

The Fun car:
    94' BMW 740i 308k miles

Sold:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast