Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Wheel newbie needing help with BBS RC090 restoration!

My Cars
    Alfa Romeo 156 GTA SW

Wheel newbie needing help with BBS RC090 restoration!

Hi,

I have been trying to refurbish my BBS wheels but I have gotten stuck, I would be very thankful for some help from others with experience.

It started of fine, I screwed out the nuts from the bolts on the inside of the barrels, and the "centers" came out with some light clubbing with a rubber mallet. I tried to get the bolts out but they were not going anywhere so I left them and took my "centers" to the painter. The bolts are painted black and I thought it would be easier to buy new hardware instead of restoring the original bolts. I bought BBS RC-specific bolts from a website called SRR hardware. They are M7's.

When I got the centers back I tried again to get the old bolts out but it's like they're welded stuck! How should I do this, should I bang on them with a hammer from the inside? Heat? I tried to soak them with WD-40 but it made no difference.

IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    Last edited by Kannackas; 06-01-2018 at 11:30 AM.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    You'd have to bang them out, use appropriately sized punch. Also, WD40 is not quite it, try Kroil instead.

My Cars
    Alfa Romeo 156 GTA SW
    I picked up some penetrating oil and soaked all the bolts in it. I will give it another soak soon and try to hammer them out. I'm a little nervous about bending the lip that the bolt goes through.

My Cars
    Alfa Romeo 156 GTA SW
    Okay so I managed to get the old bolts out with a malet and then I tried to fit one of the new bolts before I wash the barrels just to see. Because I can't hold on to the bolts from outside I assume the only way is to hammer the new bolts in like I hammered the old ones out, but I tried it with one and it ended up looking like shit from the outside with marks and scrathes on the bolt(I did cover it, didn't help) and it also didn't go in straight but a little to the side so I banged it out again. I'm struggling here, I'm searching but I don't find any video guides online.

It doesn't feel right to hammer the new bolts in, I assumed that the way to do it was to hold on to the outside and screw the nuts from inside so the bolts would dig themselves into the barrel but it's not possible since I can't grip the bolts with anything from the outside.. If I continue to hammer all the new bolts into the barrel they will not go in straight and I won't be able to fit the centers, and they will all have marks on them..

Would be very thankful for any insight or help on this!